OP-Z Beta Unit Scam by unknown_bob

my experience:

unknown_bob posts in a thread saying something to the effect of- “anyone interested in testing a beta unit, private message me. this is not a joke.” i private messaged him to see what’s up out of pure curiosity. he actually messaged me back a couple of times, asking for more details about me, like where i was located, etc.

a couple of days later some comment pops up on the thread that it was all an april fools day joke and unknown_bob was playing a trick on everybody. i don’t think much more about it but then he private messages me again saying that he is a beta tester for the OP-Z and that TE has sold him his beta unit. he doesn’t like it for his workflow and wants to sell it and is wondering if i’m interested to buy it. again, for entertainment value mostly (to see where this was going and what the hell was going on), i said sure i’m interested, how much do you want and where are you located?

he responded saying the price was €470 plus shipping from germany. i thought this was kind of hilarious overall and said yeah i’ll cop for that price but send me tagged pictures and a video proving you have a working unit. i mean how far was this dude going to go!? already its pretty clear this was a total scam. up until this point he had been writing back to me immediately… including when i asked for tagged media of the unit. he said no problem, i’ll get you the photos and video right away. but then nothing from him for a few days. i thought the hoax was over but then a couple of days later he sends a tagged photo.

i didn’t look at the photo too closely, but it did look kind of way too nice somehow for a simple tagged photo of someone trying to sell a beta unit on the black market. all this time i documented everything to give my friend tobias at TE. after unknown_bob sent the photo, i asked for his email address to i could pay him… and he responded immediately saying he needed to be paid in bitcoin because he couldn’t legally sell the unit and he was afraid to give out his email address and get caught. i said i’d only pay PayPal on invoice. again he offered to help me pay him in bitcoin somehow but i insisted on his email address.

nothing happened for a couple of days but then i got a PayPal invoice… which said “for data recovery services. by paying this invoice you revoke any rights to a refund under any circumstances, etc. etc.” i checked up on the PayPal username and email and found it to be very suspicious. i wrote him and said i couldn’t pay an invoice without a real email, name, address, phone number, etc. and he responded saying he had asked his friend to make an anonymous invoice for him and that his friend had messed it up somehow. also i should add he was trying to sell in € but invoiced in USD which might give some clue that he wasn’t in germany at least. i thought it would be done but he did actually send another invoice, this time through some russian account.

i kept writing him but he stopped responding after i didn’t pay the russian invoice. i had a feeling he was passing around the tagged photo, fishing for others to pay him for the unit, seeing how many people he could scam. i posted the photo on instagram and a few people recognized it who he was also trying to play. to be honest i’m kind of shocked that anyone would go to this trouble to scam people… or, i guess that’s not surprising, its just a pretty niche genre for a scam, selling black market beta units of the OP-Z?? sure if he gets even 1 person to pay him its worth the time, but there has to be plenty of other scams out there which pay off much more. at any rate, thought i’d post my experiences here in case anyone was curious about it. so random, unknown_bob hustling like hell. and the biggest asshole i’ve ever seen in this community. fuck you unknown_bob!

got scammed :confused: took the chance…got fucked over.
he hasn’t been active on this forum since 1 day after I payed him, which was the 7th.
hope you enjoy your karma unknown_bob :slight_smile:

He stopped responding to me after these questions:

• do you accept Paypal?
  • can you provide pictures and/or some sort of proof that this is real?
  • You may not be able to answer this one, but to your knowledge, will the beta units work with the eventual release software/updates?
  • If I buy this, will I be able to access the iOS app right away, or will I need to wait for the proper release version>

@unknown_bob is @WonderWoman_99 or @WonderWoman_98 aka TheRealWonderWoman

as soon as he sent a message trying to sell it I could tell it was fishy…bummer you got scammed RisingSon!

thanks for the sympathy !

@RisingSon said:
he hasn’t been active on this forum since 1 day after I payed him, which was the 7th.

Damn this sucks :frowning:

ugh did any of you guys see my post in the opz new video thread?

@l3ftofthedial said:
However, I am pretty sure @unknown_bob faked this pic when trying to sell me a beta unit he does not own. This was after his april fool joke. I asked him to write the date and his username to prove the unit was real.

@unknown_bob sent me: https://www.instagram.com/p/BhZoL1Nn1W2/?taken-by=zoperator

Notice how bad the light looks on the note. And on the OPZ if you look at this pic the shaddows are the same. https://www.instagram.com/p/Bg1qn77HsfU/?utm_source=ig_embed

I hope no one was scammed.

I feel awful that I didn’t make a full fledged post…

And the knobs are in the same position.

More like unknown_knob, what a dick.

Might be of note, he never replied to my message… Also odd that he/she did it on April fools…

@RisingSon said:

oh man that’s rough. Guess this should just be a lesson to be a bit more cynical next time :confused:

Strangely they never replied to my second message, guess they got what they wanted.

Well it surely is…but I knew what risk I was taking. It was a gamble that didn’t pay off.
I guess there are worse things that can happen. At least the PO-35 is on the way to me

@RisingSon said:
I guess there are worse things that can happen. At least the PO-35 is on the way to me

Great attitude. :slight_smile: Sorry to hear that you got screwed over…

I almost posted about this scam too. Looked way fishy to me when he PM’d me. Sorry to hear that @RisingSon