OP-Z - Full tracks! (beta test ep)

@sammyjams said:

@termbulb said:
These are great tracks! Thanks!

How would you compare the OP-Z’s sequencer to the Digitakt’s in terms of workflow and experimentation?

The Digitakt wins by having a page for each bar in the sequence for deeper editing. On the OP-Z, if you extend a track to 4 bars, you still only have the 1 page of 16 trigs, the sequencer just goes 4x slower. Meaning, you can’t go back and edit all of the trigs, because many of them will be between steps (trig buttons).

Can you elaborate on this at all please? I’m almost there in understanding what you mean, but it’s currently breaking my brain.

Thank you for sharing your tracks. “Burning” is awesome and convince me in pre-order mine :wink:

Amazing tracks @sammyjams! I see so much techno potential in this little maschine. Deep and lovely basses and kicks. Cool

@ludicrouSpeed said:

@sammyjams said:

@termbulb said:
These are great tracks! Thanks!

How would you compare the OP-Z’s sequencer to the Digitakt’s in terms of workflow and experimentation?

The Digitakt wins by having a page for each bar in the sequence for deeper editing. On the OP-Z, if you extend a track to 4 bars, you still only have the 1 page of 16 trigs, the sequencer just goes 4x slower. Meaning, you can’t go back and edit all of the trigs, because many of them will be between steps (trig buttons).

Can you elaborate on this at all please? I’m almost there in understanding what you mean, but it’s currently breaking my brain.

So think of a 1 bar track = 16 1/16th notes or 1 note for every button on the unit. If you double the track length it will slow the sequencer down for that track. You’ll notice the led that cycles through the steps will blink twice on each step before advancing. It’s that second blink, for example, that is unable to be edited, because it’s not represented by a button on the hardware. To edit steps, you hold down the step button and play a note, tweak a dial etc, but with no button to hold down you can’t edit. I think of the steps between as sub steps and asked if there can be a way to edit those.

@Callofthevoid said:
Nice info @sammyjams thanks for sharing.

Few questions if you get a minute, thanks -
How many lfo’s per track? - 1

Polyphony per track? -same as op1 I believe. Haven’t run into any stealing yet

Sample memory? - I think the slot limit would get used up before memory will. I’ll have to try and max it out but it should be this:

Tracks 1-4 - 10 slots x 12 sec each = 480 sec
Tracks 5-8 - 10 slots x 6 sec each = 240 sec

That would mean you wiped out all of the synth engines.

Sample lock per step?

No. That said, tracks 1-4 use op-1 drum sampler patches, so you can obviously sequence different samples per step from the 1 kit. You can’t have different “plugs” as they call them on the same track. Maybe in a future update?

Round Robin?

Have to admit, I don’t know what this means :#

Op1 style insert fx?

Nope, Elektron style send fx. BUT, they are exchangeable per pattern with 2 dedicated fx tracks. And can be sequenced independently.

Every track can be set as midi out right?

Yes. And very deep midi implementation going in.

Slicing? Timestretch?

No :frowning:

Can you delete/name patches on the unit <–One of my main issues on op1!

Sorry, but nope. Have to plug into a computer to do that. I have to say I like the folder structure better than the op1. Not gonna say much more about that now in case it changes.

@pselodux said:
Wow, sounds like it’s a rather well thought out machine. At around the same price as a Digitakt (at least in AUD) it’s good that it’s comparable.

Hey @pselodux, could you please tell me where you saw a listed price in AUD? I’ve only found one store (based in N.Z. but with Sydney support) that has listed a price online (just under $1000) - I was hoping it would be more $800, but I guess our exchange rates are problematic at the moment.

No slicing? But this device supports OP1 drum patches, right? That way of slicing should be there, I think.

@rudolphrapid said:
No slicing? But this device supports OP1 drum patches, right? That way of slicing should be there, I think.

Well, yes that’s true. The samples are already sliced though. No slicing from scratch/slice mode. Same patches but not the same parameters.

But can you edit such drum slices on OP-Z directly? As far as I recall I saw this in one of the few videos about this device.

@rudolphrapid said:
But can you edit such drum slices on OP-Z directly? As far as I recall I saw this in one of the few videos about this device.

Sort of. The envelope has start point and hold parameters, but they effect the entire sample, not per slice. That said, you can lock different values per step in a sequence. Also, you can hold down a step to preview it, so there is some control there.

Interesting. It does sound to me much less advanced than on OP-1.

Wow, nicely done man ! OP-Z sounds pretty good !
“Burning” heavily makes use of the filter and it’s impressive what you do with it :slight_smile:
And what you say about the playability of the unit reminds me more of POs than OP-1. I like this.

All right, I might save some dough for later use :wink:

@LyingDalai said:
Wow, nicely done man ! OP-Z sounds pretty good !
“Burning” heavily makes use of the filter and it’s impressive what you do with it :slight_smile:
And what you say about the playability of the unit reminds me more of POs than OP-1. I like this.

All right, I might save some dough for later use :wink:

It’s definitely a lot like the POs in it’s usage. Which I love! Like PO meets Elektron!

@ArtPunk said:

@pselodux said:
Wow, sounds like it’s a rather well thought out machine. At around the same price as a Digitakt (at least in AUD) it’s good that it’s comparable.

Hey @pselodux, could you please tell me where you saw a listed price in AUD? I’ve only found one store (based in N.Z. but with Sydney support) that has listed a price online (just under $1000) - I was hoping it would be more $800, but I guess our exchange rates are problematic at the moment.

I just calculated it on xe.com from the €599 (I think?) price. Haven’t see any local stores show a price yet.

Yes, this “punch FX” interactivity brings a lot of joy when playing the PO. Glad you find such spirit in OP-Z :slight_smile:

@LyingDalai said:
Yes, this “punch FX” interactivity brings a lot of joy when playing the PO. Glad you find such spirit in OP-Z :slight_smile:

The punch fx on the Z are really cool. If you have the bass track selected, for example, you press shift and the “white” piano keys are the different fx, not recorded unless you enable record. Also, while holding shift, you can tweak any parameter of the track and letting go of shift brings it back to it’s original state. You hear this a lot on Burning. But on top of that, the punch in fx has its own dedicated track where you can choose which tracks are effected and live jam or record. If you record the punch in track, you can of course mute it in and out. Really, really fun!

Yes that’s some good stuff Sammy!
Listening to it right now having a beer and a cigarette B)

@mixrasta said:
Yes that’s some good stuff Sammy!
Listening to it right now having a beer and a cigarette B)

Ayyyeee enjoy! Smoke an extra cig for me, I just quit in July o:)

Will do… I should quit again as well :slight_smile:

How’s the synth-engine compared to the OP-1? how versatile is it/ Programmable the patches?