OP-Z - Full tracks! (beta test ep)

Sounded super cool btw !!

@pukicho said:
How’s the synth-engine compared to the OP-1? how versatile is it/ Programmable the patches?

Definitely different. Each engine has 2 parameters that change the sound pretty wildly and give them a lot of different characters. The great part vs the OP-1 is every track has a dedicated LP/HP filter with resonance and 2 fx sends (each pattern can have 2 different send fx). Along with, envelope, LFO and every parameter being parameter lockable (yay panning!), the sound has more versatility than the OP-1 imo.

@sammyjams said:

@pukicho said:
How’s the synth-engine compared to the OP-1? how versatile is it/ Programmable the patches?

Definitely different. Each engine has 2 parameters that change the sound pretty wildly and give them a lot of different characters. The great part vs the OP-1 is every track has a dedicated LP/HP filter with resonance and 2 fx sends (each pattern can have 2 different send fx). Along with, envelope, LFO and every parameter being parameter lockable (yay panning!), the sound has more versatility than the OP-1 imo.

I’m hoping they announce some crazy FX ala cwo/phone when they release all deets. It doesn’t need them, but it seems odd to exclude. Maybe they will be extra $$$ ?

@ludicrouSpeed said:

@sammyjams said:

@pukicho said:

I’m hoping they announce some crazy FX ala cwo/phone when they release all deets. It doesn’t need them, but it seems odd to exclude. Maybe they will be extra $$$ ?

I would pay! For now, there are 4 available send fx for the 2 slots: delay, reverb, distortion and bitcrusher. I’m sure there will be a lot more in the future.

@sammyjams said:

@pukicho said:

That’s great to hear! Any chance you could record and share a short demo of each of the synth engines?

@Acey I think I can do that! I’ll have to run it by TE before I post.

@Acey said:

@sammyjams said:

@pukicho said:

That’s great to hear! Any chance you could record and share a short demo of each of the synth engines?

@sammyjams said:
@Acey I think I can do that! I’ll have to run it by TE before I post.

That would be ace

yeah this ep is sexy. thanks

@sammyjams I’d love to see a demo of each of the step components / trigs. I don’t think these have been laid out one by one, I’ve only seen a passing demo of some of them. Would love a complete list (at least as it stands at this time <3)

@ludicrouSpeed said:
@sammyjams I’d love to see a demo of each of the step components / trigs. I don’t think these have been laid out one by one, I’ve only seen a passing demo of some of them. Would love a complete list (at least as it stands at this time <3)

I’ll try to make some time to do this. For now I can say, the quick start guide that comes with has a super in depth chart about what they do. I’m guessing this guide will be online eventually. I hesitate to post a pic of it, because I’m not sure if it will be changed in the final version.

Can you seamlessly change between projects without stopping the music on the op-z?

@sammyjams said:

@ludicrouSpeed said:

I’ll try to make some time to do this. For now I can say, the quick start guide that comes with has a super in depth chart about what they do. I’m guessing this guide will be online eventually. I hesitate to post a pic of it, because I’m not sure if it will be changed in the final version.

Good point. No probs at all. Thanks :slight_smile:

@oxxi said:
Can you seamlessly change between projects without stopping the music on the op-z?

Yes. The one thing that’s saved with the project is tempo, so if you have wildly different tempos, things may get a little glitchy.

Close up sounds great, it gives me a very DJ PayPal whisper zone vibe. Do some 160!!! Gosh I want one

@sneakyness said:
Close up sounds great, it gives me a very DJ PayPal whisper zone vibe. Do some 160!!! Gosh I want one

Working on a live set right now with some 160-180 :stuck_out_tongue:

?

@sammyjams said:
So think of a 1 bar track = 16 1/16th notes or 1 note for every button on the unit. If you double the track length it will slow the sequencer down for that track. You’ll notice the led that cycles through the steps will blink twice on each step before advancing. It’s that second blink, for example, that is unable to be edited, because it’s not represented by a button on the hardware. To edit steps, you hold down the step button and play a note, tweak a dial etc, but with no button to hold down you can’t edit. I think of the steps between as sub steps and asked if there can be a way to edit those.

really ? was this a designer choice or they just forgot that point ?
it’s kinda very limited as a sequencer don’t you think ?
seems the software/firmware development is not completed .

@j0nny said:

@sammyjams said:
So think of a 1 bar track = 16 1/16th notes or 1 note for every button on the unit. If you double the track length it will slow the sequencer down for that track. You’ll notice the led that cycles through the steps will blink twice on each step before advancing. It’s that second blink, for example, that is unable to be edited, because it’s not represented by a button on the hardware. To edit steps, you hold down the step button and play a note, tweak a dial etc, but with no button to hold down you can’t edit. I think of the steps between as sub steps and asked if there can be a way to edit those.

This is has been discussed at length on the beta forum including a great way to implement substeps editing. I think, by the time someone brought this up to the devs, it was too late to include for launch. There’s a great chance it will be added in a not too distant update. I don’t think the firmware development will be “completed” for a long, long time. Meaning, new features will be added! They’re just getting started with this and it will go a long way from here.

@sammyjams said:
On the OP-Z, if you extend a track to 4 bars, you still only have the 1 page of 16 trigs, the sequencer just goes 4x slower.

can you make the sequencer loop faster on a single track ? ie. divide a bar between more than 16 steps ?
say you want to play 5plets you would need to divide a bar between 20 steps.

BTW, how does the step count parameters work ?
the user guide says the seq will loop over a number of steps,
so if you select 12 steps for instance, you’ll have 4 (1/16 notes) triplets ?
but how you’d do if you wanted to seq 4 (1/16 notes) 6plets ?

@sammyjams said:

@j0nny said:

@sammyjams said:

This is has been discussed at length on the beta forum including a great way to implement substeps editing. I think, by the time someone brought this up to the devs, it was too late to include for launch. There’s a great chance it will be added in a not too distant update. I don’t think the firmware development will be “completed” for a long, long time. Meaning, new features will be added! They’re just getting started with this and it will go a long way from here.

Just getting started???..I thought it started around 3 years ago… What where they doing all this time?..