OP-Z MIDI Implementation

This evening I started messing around with sending CC to the OP-Z from another sequencer, and holy crap I had no idea any of this was possible.

Some highlights:

• Sequencing which track is the active track
  • Sequencing muted tracks and mute groups
  • Controlling a track’s gain independently of the track volume and group gain
  • Changing a track’s step count or step length mid-pattern
  • Changing patterns without program change

See 21.6 in the guide: OP-Z guide: midi

The OP-Z responds well in the tests I’ve done and many of these functions seem to work even if the track’s MIDI isn’t on. The only disappointment so far is that Channel 1 isn’t active track, it’s the Kick track.

There are so many possible applications my brain is exploding.

5 Likes

You could make some random/gernerative live remixing by sending random (or sort-of-random) midi CC for these (e.g. from VCV rack/miRack)

Yes, there’s so much potential for generative music!

It’s honestly mind-blowing stuff that probably deserves a more clickbait-y title. Some things I’ve tried so far:

• Like you suggested, I adjusted the kick track’s step count using an LFO on CC #60 Ch 1, which generated some interesting rhythms. I also threw in a bunch of Jump 9 (align to global) step components to make it a bit more chaotic.
  • CC #50 on Ch. 1-16 adjusts that track’s gain, adding another layer to the OP-Z’s gain staging (e.g., you can back off the kick’s gain so it doesn’t overwhelm the compressor). It also gives you control of volume on FX1 and FX2 plus additional gain for the tape track and I/O track.
  • Sending CC #61 with value 10 to any track will set the step length to Gate, which effectively pauses that track where it is without any step component wizardry.

I’ve also been seeing a lot of exciting glitches but nothing concrete so far. For example, if the arp track is active CC #102 Value 0 Ch 2 opens the LFO parameter page on the arp track… but all the encoders control P1 and there’s still no LFO :frowning:

1 Like

I just posted a video demonstrating the following:

• Adding an LFO to the step count (pattern length)
  • Pausing a track
  • Mute group sequencing
  • Hidden track gain
  • Sequencing the active track
  • Changing patterns without using program change

Let me know if you have any questions!

2 Likes

Great job on the video title overlay :joy:

1 Like

Haha thanks! I told my s/o “this one seems more important than my other videos but I have no idea how to make it sound even slightly interesting without going full YouTuber… and I don’t even know how to do that” :laughing:

Hey, as you are now the OP-Z programming guru :sunglasses: I was wondering if you could do Philip Glass‘ Opening. It has a beautiful polyrhythm going on with 2 separate voices, and I was wondering how that could be achieved on the Z: https://youtu.be/6F8cEABLxus

2 Likes

Maybe the greatest compliment I’ve received.

Thanks for the suggestion–“Opening” works very well on the OP-Z so I’ll probably make a video on it.

That said, it might be a while before the video so here’s how I did the first 16 bars:

Bass
Step Length 9
Step Count 3

Step 1: F; Pulse Hold 2
Step 2: Eb; Pulse Hold 1
Step 3: Db; Pulse Hold 1

Lead
Step Length 2
Step Count 4

Step 1: Ab
Step 2: C; Jump 6 + Component Spark 888
Step 3: G
Step 4: Bb; Jump 6 + Component Spark 888

Arp
Step Length 8
Step Count 8

Arp Speed 3
Arp Pattern 1 (Manual)
Arp Style 1
Arp Range 0

All steps have a note length of 2, hence notes only on every other step

Step 1: F Ab
Step 3: C F
Step 5: G C
Step 7: C Ab

Basically, the bass is playing the whole notes that the left thumb holds, the lead is playing the alternating notes played by the left hand, and the arp track is playing the right hand triplets (hence arp speed 3).

Wow! Thank you so much! Your videos are ace!!

2 Likes

It sounded fun to sequence more of this song and I recorded a video of the result. I’ll probably do a lesson/tutorial at some point because this song works really well on the OP-Z, and it was a fun notation reading exercise for me so maybe it’d help others too.

Here’s a link to the .opz file (can’t attach it to the post apparently?): project08.opz - Google Drive

Here’s a video of the pattern being played: https://youtu.be/LDlSgNtmUAk

Thank you for the suggestion! It was honestly a blast.

1 Like

Cool, thanks again, especially for the project file, will check it out in the next days!