Op-z MIDI Thread

Tried a reset and a reflash. Still only midi on channel one. Anyone else have this problem? OP-Z also crashes frequently when connected to OP-1.

I had this issue at some point as well, and I believe one of these two things that fixed it for me.
(apologies if these are obvious / things you already tried)

In your midi settings (either via the app, or the midi.json file when connected via usb in content mode),

1. Is the first option, channel_one_to_active grayed out / set to false?

Mine was originally set to true, and at first I thought this would only apply to incoming midi, but it also might apply to outgoing midi. Either way I have mine set to false now with my working setup. (This setting can also be changed with the key combo shift + 1 while the Module track is active).

1. Is each track set to its own midi channel (track 1 = midi channel 1, track 2 = midi channel 2, etc.)?

Again, you can set this via the app or the .json file. I would be surprised if they weren’t, but messing around with what midi channel each track was set to at least helped me debug things if I remember correctly (like setting the kick track to midi channel 15 and seeing if sending/receiving on channel 15 still controlled and/or output the kick messages).

ps. my midi I/O now works via usb and via the oplab module, in case you were wondering if one of those two might be the culprit.

pps. I think I found that setting things via the .json file was more stable than using the app or the key combos, so if you haven’t tried all 3 methods yet, you could also give that a shot.

1 Like

Does anyone have experience connecting multiple USB MIDI devices to the OP-Z over USB?

I currently have a Z and QuNexus keyboard, which work great together with a USB adapter. I’d like to add a knobby controller (thinking about a Launch Control), but I want to see if this configuration is supported before purchasing (sounds like I’ll need a powered hub in the very least). It looks like firmware 1.1.27 added support for this, but just wanted to check!

should be no problem with a powered hub

1 Like

Hello everybody !
I have a problem changing my opz midi-in channels.
I changed them in the android app but my opz is still playing on its default channels.
I also checked the json file and the changes are written there too.
I wanted my opz to respond from channel 5 to channel 12 and my kick is still on ch 1 and so on…
Do anyone have an idea on how to clear that issue?
thanks so much :slight_smile:

I’ve been happily using a usb-C to usb-B cable to send midi to The intellijel uMidi Eurorack module directly from my op-z. (badicaly without the oplab!) It stopped working after the last op-z firmware update in April 2020. I’m curious if it’s a known issue or it’s just a freaky coincidence that either my uMidi module or the cable is broken right after this update. Anyone?

Yep. I also have such issue. I’m using iRig Keys 25.

deleted…

Hi, I’m trying to solve a MIDI CC problem.

I recorded the punch-in track into Ableton along with the chord track for example. There are a few punch-in effects, like the loop effect, that influence the recorded midi steps in the sequencer. There are other effects like the sweep or duck, that are achieved by changes in the chord track parameters like resonance or volume. These changes are recorded in Ableton as well. In the clip envelopes.

And there starts the problem. The OPZ only sends and Ableton records only the Midi CC Data of the changes caused by the Punch In Effect and the MIDI CC Data that follows. But not the MIDI CC state before the Punch In Effect.

The MIDI CC Value before the punch-in data sets in is always 0.

Does someone knows this problem? Is this a OPZ problem or a Ableton problem?

I guess there’s a difference between “relative” and “absolute” midi messages.

is there a way to change those settings in Ableton?

It looks like this.

First the MIDI CC value for Resonance is 0. When the Punch In effect sets in. Ableton records MIDI CC values (relative) and after the punch in effect, the value goes back to it original value 46, wich should be also at the start. (like in the second picture.)

1 Like

Hey. Has anyone sent midi from OP-Z/Oplab to Pittsburgh SV-1 or SV-1b? Having real trouble getting it working but I’m also a midi noob.

Both Oplab buttons are set to midi, and I’ve tried setting all channels to 14 (module). With midi OUT enabled on OP-Z, for some reason it’s the midi IN light which blinks on the oplab. Any tips appreciated!

Has anyone controlled their OP-Z with a Presonus ATOM SQ? Seems like it could be a pretty nice combo. https://www.presonus.com/products/ATOM-SQ

Hey people. I have been exploring alternate clocking arrangements for my daw, and modular with the oplab module. I have really been enjoying playing with track divisions.

Is there any way to use the oplab to send my modular clock signal to midi clock? It seems as if I need to set each track to 0 to receive clock info from cv. Is there no way to make the entire unit lock to incoming cv trig, or use the unit as a clock pass through? I think using my modular as the leading clock and my daw follow would be the least constraining set up.

Did you ever figure this out. I’d like to only send note events and clock to my external synth.

attach the opz in disk mode to your computer,go to the config/ midi .jason
open it with a txt editor,in order to edit it.
change the CC output numbers on the channel you wish,you can put them all to a CC that your synth doesn’t reconize ( ex: 127 ).

Thank you, I ended up using the ios app to assign the CC to 0. Now I’m exploring a way to mute the internal instrument on just that channel. Perhaps making a silent sample set.

keep press mute mode , press shift , it will lit red ,
press the track you want to mute audio it will lit red ,
now it’s sending only midi data,audio is muted
(be sure to turn off fx on that track or some audio will remain )

2 Likes

Woah that is awesome! Thank you!

1 Like

Hey, has anyone got the OPZ to control the Korg Wavestate?

I have them both plugged into a powered USB hub, hoping to control each of the 4 layers on 4 of the OPZ tracks, but I can’t even get it to make a sound on Global Channel 1.

Pretty disappointed in the OPZ here. I have it working with Logic over USB midi, same with the Korg, but I don’t want to have to have my laptop in the middle of these two to make it work.