OP-Z production peek #1

So…it’s kind of a supercharged Pocket Operator, right? SIGN ME UP.

So...it's kind of a supercharged Pocket Operator, right? SIGN ME UP.
That's totally the vibe I get!
Finally and possibly the thing I'm most excited for is the opz seems so much more portable then the op1 or Po. Op1 needs a case with those knobs. And po barely have a case so I don't really bring either anywhere. Opz will slide flat right into my bag!!!!!!!! I'm pumped.

Good point. Though I don’t really like the little yellow thingie on the left side. Feels like a flaw in the portability design IMO. Hope it doesn’t make it to the end product.

PS. Operators, how about an OP-Z category?

new category added. Will try to add existing OP-Z thread(s) to it, feel free to PM me if I miss one :slight_smile:

Though I don't really like the little yellow thingie on the left side. Feels like a flaw in the portability design IMO. Hope it doesn't make it to the end product.

It’s the master volume knob, as I understand it.

It's the master volume knob, as I understand it.
Whatever it is, it is a weakness IMO !
I mean, if you put it in a bag it's the point that would get damaged first... I just don't like this... Feels a bit like planned obsolescence...

@Polyoptics I totally hear you. I think the basic idea is that you should be able to use it with no screen. But during the learning process, using a screen for displaying the UI can be helpful. - Then, the whole visual/ midi sequencer will be very dependant on the visuals you’re controlling. If you have your visuals on a computer, you’ll need that computer to see the visuals. If you’re running your visuals from a phone, you’ll need that phone etc.

But indeed. The OP-1 is a benchmark in UI, that nobody really has suprassed imo. So departing from a visual UI is sort of sad, but it’s exciting too :slight_smile: I think the visual part will be interesting. How will people use it? Mostly for their own pleasure? As ingredients for a live show? A whole live show based on this?

I was using the OP-Z for about half an hour or so on my own, with no screen, and it came to me pretty quickly. I had to ask a few questions about the FX section. I hope they make more distinguishable prints on the different buttons, to make it easier to read the layout. And somewhat more distinguishable LED’s, perhaps?

@cuckoo thanks for the detailed response – I’ll definitely stave off a negative opinion until I see the final unit in action or try it myself. There absolutely are things about it that I am very excited about! :slight_smile: I hope TE allows you to continue to show us these little things you see along the way, its super fun.

@Polyoptics there´s a important thing there: maybe without the screen the OP-Z will be significantly cheaper than the OP-1.

Although we have room for discussion here, it´s a common place to say that the OP-1 is expensive - and after hardware like Novation Circuit, Volcas and Korg Minilogue, maybe the price of our beloved gear is really a little bit after the curve.

What´s your feeling about the price, @cuckoo?

@aeoner i may be wrong, but i think they try to use phones and people tablets to be use a screen with an outside app as some pictures have shown some ipad screen with te logo.

I imagine the op-Z as a controller, my dream is also to have this app available for op-1 user, and that the op-z will just be a cheap controller. But all the hardawre shown in the video begin to think that i’m wrong, and that the sound is not generated by an app…

CV out?. too blurry to see…but i doubt it…

I’m expecting full blown cv\gate and click clock out. Maybe even midi ports. With a fancy cable. None of those things are expensive and all well documented. And since the opz is a dank sequencer it would make sense. If that’s the case it would be the centerpiece of my rig. I really hope it does. Much like the op1 it’ll be my sketchpad and then when I’m ready to flesh it out the dainty sounds will actually be midi,cv and click clock to control my modular. So I can really shape some unique and pleasing sounds. A boy can dream. But it makes sense to me.

Price price Vincent Price…

I expect it might be a USB host, based on the fact it has so much display capability. If that’s the case, and if those outputs are 3.5mm midi and outs for PO’s/volca’s then this thing could be something with partial OpLab capability that is a good companion for an OP-1 (or PO’s).

That would be very smart marketing. They could lose some OPLab sales, but really that’s an “experiment board” for a limited audience. However connectivity in the OP-Z could be used everywhere “and even on the bus” so to speak.
Here’s hoping for USB host!

When I hear someone say Vincent Price, I always hear “the foulest dentures in the air!” hahaha.

still think its weird that theres a massive blank space where the screen would go lol

I expect it might be a USB host, based on the fact it has so much display capability. If that's the case, and if those outputs are 3.5mm midi and outs for PO's/volca's then this thing could be something with partial OpLab capability that is a good companion for an OP-1 (or PO's).

That would be very smart marketing. They could lose some OPLab sales, but really that's an "experiment board" for a limited audience. However connectivity in the OP-Z could be used everywhere "and even on the bus" so to speak.
Here's hoping for USB host!

So true !

A portable = battery powered USB host would be the missing piece of hardware, actually.
When I hear someone say Vincent Price, I always hear "the foulest dentures in the air!" hahaha.

I’ll never hear Thriller in the same way again now!

I expect it might be a USB host, based on the fact it has so much display capability. If that's the case, and if those outputs are 3.5mm midi and outs for PO's/volca's then this thing could be something with partial OpLab capability that is a good companion for an OP-1 (or PO's).

That would be very smart marketing. They could lose some OPLab sales, but really that's an "experiment board" for a limited audience. However connectivity in the OP-Z could be used everywhere "and even on the bus" so to speak.
Here's hoping for USB host!

So true !

A portable = battery powered USB host would be the missing piece of hardware, actually.

I have been frustrated for a long time that there is no straightforward (and portable) USB host solution. I would like to see a Y cable with a USB cable on one end and 2 MIDI DIN connectors on the other. I appreciate this would need power so add a socket so can charge via USB? Some clever chap start a kickstarter campaign?

Well, the CerebelUSB should fit your needs.

It needs power, though.

The CerebelUSB only does MIDI out and yeah, being tethered to a power source not ideal. C’mon TE, making the OP-Z a USB host would be amazing.

On the ‘the gearlust thread part deux: post your GAS’ thread, some were speculating that the battery-powered Zoom U-24 and U-44 might serve as USB hosts. Anyone know if this has been confirmed?