OP-Z step components

Just digging in:
The very first component I went looking for was a step probability – is there one or something like it?

Not yet owning one, I don’t know what the jump component does exactly. Does the command “jump to 4/4” mean jump to “the 4th measure”, or to something else entirely? If yes to measure, then “jump to random” could work as a makeshift replacement to a step probability function, only at the scale of a measure.

there are def some workarounds (the play every nth time style stuff too)

@Polyoptics said:
there are def some workarounds (the play every nth time style stuff too)

Did you find probability?

no, but I guess you can use the spark ones to add longevity, it just wont be random, which would have been really cool imo!

@Polyoptics Isn’t that what “trigger spark random” does?

There isn’t percentage probability, but there is random and there is play every nth pass through the sequence. You can play every 1-8 passes, and also repeatedly click the same black key button to choose which time it plays in your selected denominator. Add and trigger spark component and press 4, for example, and your selected note(s) will play every fourth time. While still holding shift, pressing 4 again will leave the first four black notes illuminated, but the first one will be flashing indicating that it will play the first of four passes. Press it again and the 2 will be flashing etc…

Not exactly Elektron with dialing in exact percentages of probability, but it’s deep sequencing.

1 Like

@Lymtronics At the reddit group there is a “pro” tip about the spark component supporting multiple settings by repeatedly pressing the desired value number. The example given there is for the number 4, which alternates between varous combinations of steps 1st to 4th. Could you try that tip for the number 9 (random)? I wonder if that will allow you to select different probability settings…

https://www.reddit.com/r/OPZuser/comments/9sen32/trigger_spark_step_component_protip_undocumented/?st=JO1QAHR6&sh=3e754d51

There are no numeric cycle options for the Random trig component. Pressing 9 to cycle between lowest thru highest probability is a great idea and conforms to the practices of other spark component behavior.

1 Like

Agreed

@Lymtronics said:
There are no numeric cycle options for the Random trig component. Pressing 9 to cycle between lowest thru highest probability is a great idea and conforms to the practices of other spark component behavior.

This suggestion needs to be prioritized for sure! Seems perfectly reasonable and simply to implement.

Hey gang,

I was trying to achieve something with the jump step component but I may have misunderstood it…

I am essentially trying to get it to loop a certain series of notes on a track, and specify the number of times it should loop. I was thinking I could set it to jump to a certain position but I got a bit stuck…

Have you guys had any luck with that kind of thing?

@darve Add a component spark to your jump step. Then you can control when the jump occurs. Let’s say you want the first three notes of a sequence to repeat three times. Place a jump component with a value of 1 (goes back to the beginning) on the third step. Then while still holding shift to access the components, put a component spark on and press the 4 button until the 1-3 are flashing (indicating they will be the pass the contains the On message for the step component) and 4 is lit continuously. Now the sequence is sent back to the beginning the first three times it hits the component, but runs past it on the fourth pass. Step components can even be placed on steps with no note messages. You could put a jump component immediately after the one you’ve just entered that can send the sequence to any point you want, or align to the global track.

Holy smokes… this machine is so clever! Thanks so much for the answer dude, really helpful!

It makes song creation feel like programming, a really interesting way to make music…

Also I’ve gotta say your OP-Z tracks on soundcloud are absolutely incredible <3

@darve Thanks!

So spark is for activating or deactivating the target (component, parameter, or trig) by the lit number?

Yes. In various iterations. Press the numeric keys multiple times to change the active pass (press 2 once and it will play the second time, press 2 again and it will play the first of 2).

Yeah, I got it.