Op-z Tips (chord input, double loop...)

Hi Op-z lovers. Have already used my Op-Z for few months) and absolutely in love with it. But have some questions that can make my & Op-z interaction better:

1. How to input a long chord (for example interpolated Em - EBEG) or even longer, six notes…?
  2. Is there a way to copy/paste a track within a pattern? (Chord to lead or may be btw sample tracks)
  3. Is there a way to double a loop length (for example 1 bar to 2 bars) & keep timing unchanged (so 16th do not become 8th, etc…)kind of double loop as in Ableton.
  4. Is there a way to replace at one time all triggers / samples (for example kick) by another one… (all in once, but not pressing each trigger) can only choose multiple triggers to change components but not samples(
    Thanks in advance👊🏻 & stay safe🙏🏼
1 Like
  1. From the official guide: hold a lit step and press another step to set the duration of the held step. If that is what you mean. I see that when some notes overlap there is an LED lit purple, while the duration of the note pressed (red) is lit blue
  2. I don’t see a way to do it
  3. This is something really easy to do in Ableton Live, but on the OP-Z can’t be found (as far as I understand). However, when pressing track+shift+number you can extend the length of the track expanding the notes, which sometimes leads to interesting stuff
  4. This is something I’d really llke to know if it is possible
  1. You can do it with a workaround by using the JUMP TO step component and jumping back to the beginning of your pattern half way through. Of course there are limits to it, but I used it a few times.

2. On the drum/sample channels you can change all sound by pressing SHIFT & +/-
    That way you can cycle through all the sample within the kit. I just found out recently and it’s very nice, to change up your kicks.
    Only problem is, if you use more than one sound on that track…

3 Likes

when jamming with the OP-Z it’s really easy to hold down steps in a playing groove and insert other sounds with the keyboard, basically no need for a step component, it’s also great to shift the samples up and down and insert the transposed sound as a single step.

without holding shift you‘ll transpose just the sounds on the keyboard and not on the sequencer lane. there are a lot of options to change or insert different sounds per track.

it feels comfortable when forgetting about the classic 16x4 step Input with different pages and concentrate on 16 steps with parameter locks and components.

minimal Workflow is key on the Z, just dial in everything with patience and it opens up its full potential! :heart_eyes:

1 Like

Thanks for your replies :raised_hands: especially regarding changing samples​:star_struck:
However it is still unclear how to input a chord if it has notes from more than 2 octaves…:man_shrugging:t2: Understand that you can input notes on top each other during recording/jamming, but if there is a way to simply input 4 notes from different octaves in a chord that would be nice (once you input 3 notes from 2 octaves and need another one from higher octave - this octave is not accessible… by pressing “+” you shift the input chord… and how to shift to next octave while inputing this chord is unfortunately unknown…) Hope I explained correctly and you understand what I mean…
Fully agree with you,Johnny, and will try your way with transposing notes, etc… I am in deep love with OP-Z and enjoy it workflow!!! It really trains you to be patient :call_me_hand:t3::sunglasses:
Stay safe​:pray:t3: and enjoy :facepunch:t2:

You need a midi keyboard

1 Like

exactly. same with the OP-1!
or two/three Qunexus and/or K-boards is my goal :zzz:

I would prefer to have one more combination for editing notes (for example: empty step + shift + (1-9) to choose the octave) + note)…
May be, one day … :sunglasses:

-/+ buttons to change the octave and the keys to insert the desired note.

basically your combination but already implemented :sweat_smile:

I don’t quite get how this could make the loop longer (like the double loop in Ableton). I mean, within one track it might work, but if you need for example to do longer chord progressions on both bass and chord tracks, they won’t become longer. Is there something I don’t know of yet?

It of course always depends on the exact case…but one example that I had is as follows:

Say I want a 4 bar bassline, that has a similar pattern on the first 3 bars and then changes more on the 4th bar.
I would set up a 2 bar loop, put a step component “jump (to start)” on step 8, also add step component “ignore step component (on the 3rd repeat)” on step 8

Then you can make all kinds of changes via step components to the first 8 steps, so they don’t exactly repeat…and have a higher overall resolutio.

I hope the is somewhat understandable. It’s not useful in every case, especially with complex patterns it won’t work, but for some songs this might be helpful.

2 Likes

you can separate the 16 steps into 4x4 and make them longer with the hold component and the x2 to match the speed.

this way you can record longer tracks on just 4 steps and expand them to your needs on one grid. if you do the math it’s like 4x16 steps with help of the components and on max it’s 16x16 steps. needs some practice tho

1 Like