OP-Z vs OP-1 post sampling update

Curious: what do you do with drone mode?

Good quality buttons don’t double trigger after such a short amount of use. But maybe I was just really unlucky with my first two OPZ, warped cases, falling out encoders, faulty buttons.

Like I said I like the OPZ, but I don’t let my like for it blind me to the fact that it isn’t very well engineered IMHO, if you are of a different opinion then fine.

that sounds like a good system

1 Like

I haven’t had any double triggers but mine did come slightly bent which makes the bottom plate not flush on the sides. No falling out encoders but the yellow feet turn on their own, which I don’t think is good, at all. I love it though.

I’m of a different opinion yes.

I guess the pocket operator buttons are of a superior quality since they don’t double trigger. Strange… Yes I’m off a different opinion.

I like using it so notes in a sequence hold until they are stolen (by max voice limitations). This method is very cool for looping samples in ambient music.

1 Like

Cool. So on the drum sampler?

Sometimes, but most of the time on the synths and stuff

Aren’t they? I’ve never had problems with PO buttons, and I have 6 POs. The OP-Z, on the other hand…

To me the OP-1 is the only true synth out of the two. The Z is heavy on sequencing especially when compared to the one. They compliment each other quite well in that regard tbh.

1 Like

No they are not of better quality in their cheaper product. However there is a design issue in the opz and that’s my point, the difference between quality parts and a flaw in design. I bet they are the exact same button membrane and only the actual buttons are a different material, however since there is so much more with more flex issues can happen.

The OP-Z is what I wanted the OP-1 to be. The limited tape record, lop glitches (now fixed) and lack of decent backup facilities on the OP-1was a deal breaker for me. I wish the OP-Z had the drum synth tho.

The OP-1 and OP-Z make an amazing pair these days. Rock-solid sync, and midi back-and-forth lets you sequence the OP-1 from the OP-Z, and record to tape.

Do you have usb charging turned off on the OP-1 when you do this? Also, are you disabling the midi tracks and just using midi clock out? The problem I had when trying to do this was the Z was playing whatever instrument I had selected on the OP-1. Do you know what I mean?

I switch off usb charging on the OP-1, so it doesn’t drain the OP-Z’s battery. If I’m connecting them to each other with an audio cable (as opposed to using a mixer), I use an in-line isolator on the audio cable to stop the buzz.

For midi, you should turn off midi clock in and out on the OP-Z. You will need to have either midi in or midi out switched on though.

To avoid the OP-Z from triggering the OP-1’s instruments, just change the OP-1’s midi channel to something like 16. Unless you want to sequence the OP-1 from the OP-Z, that is.

I just want the tape to start when the op-z starts…any advice? I was thinking op-z midi out off and clock on, then like you said, connect audio from op-z to op-1 input with in-line isolator. Then op-1 ext sync on…I think. I’m gonna order an isolator right now actually.

The OP-Z will detect a clock signal, even when Clock In is disabled. I’ve had the best results when both clock in, and clock out, are off on the OP-Z.

Also, the OP-Z is very fussy about usb cables. If you have problems, try another cable.

Edit: my isolator is like this one, although I bought it elsewhere. Works great.