OP1 companion device - interest/thoughts/input?

Hey gang,
I’m in the early stages of planning/coding a “companion” device for the OP1, and thought I’d see what you all think. If it’s something that can be implemented well and costs kept down I may think about doing a small run if there is interest.

Essentially the device would have a dual function: MIDI host/FX, and audio fx. The midi portion would function the following way:

• MIDI USB host for connecting to other devices/synths - this would be bipolar in operation
  • have 4 different MIDI-out “fx” (LFO, extra envelope, randomizer, pitch bend) that can be routed back in to the OP1’s MIDI LFO device
  • DIN ins and outs for connectivity with standard MIDI devices

While the audio FX so far consist of:

• reverb
  • tape delay
  • distortion

Still planning out the physical form, but initial thought is something with the same/similar dimensions as the OP1 itself, that can be placed easily above the OP1 on a desk/stand and keep cables tidy.

Anyways, any input or interest feel free to add you thoughts!

I would be so keen for the 4 x lfo in a box… Depends on price if I would go for it at the given time of release…

Battery power?

Is there any capacity to process audio and route it back into the OP1? Perhaps an internal sampler? Effect stuff, and then resample… WOuld be rad… But one step further is if you could effect a loop out matched to the BPM which the host is conveniently already synced to…

flanger/phaser please!

Lol @ludicrouSpeed always pushing the envelope! The BPM loop sync would probably be a bit beyond capabilities/knobs available, but there’ll def be a way to implement a simple sample/playback, then maybe even the ability to save to microSD for a semi-backup feel. I think there’s also a way to have MIDI clock to an external click out (for syncing PO’s), but have to investigate a little further.

Also, currently thinking of adding a passive 4-channel mixer before the DSP fx, that way you could process the OP1 and 3x PO’s/volcas/whatever simultaneously. At the very very stretch point may be adding an analogue gain stages/dirt/fuzz at the very end of the chain to bring up the overall volume (as the OP can be a touch weak sometimes).

With the two LFO’s, what are most useful/common types to use? I’m thinking one as a sine, one as a square, with some subtle shaping options. Anything too crazy would mean sacrificing the ADSR as there are only X amount of analogue inputs for knobs available.
Gonna do some more prototyping…

Sounds awesome, mate. How many knobs are we talkin?

This sounds pretty frickin sweet !!

I’m in… totally. Given the USB midi host bit, It would be really nice to have two of each USB port. I’m thinking iPad in and out MIDI kind of thoughts. And, of course, other USB midi applications.

For the audio effects side of it, are you thinking stereo ins and outs? I would assume the smaller 3.5 plugs would be easiest to keep the size of the case down?

@mrbernard unfortunately the board I’m using only has support for one USB host, so it would be:
USB host in/out
DIN in
DIN out
Micro-usb out to PC/MAC

Currently battling some midi choke/bottleneck using the host port for complex midi streams which is increasing some latency, so still making that more efficient.

Audio ATM is stereo 6.5’s, but will probably have a companion 4-Track passive mixer using 3.5’s, so lots of options there!

@mrbernard unfortunately the board I’m using only has support for one USB host, so it would be: USB host in/out DIN in DIN out Micro-usb out to PC/MAC

Currently battling some midi choke/bottleneck using the host port for complex midi streams which is increasing some latency, so still making that more efficient.

Audio ATM is stereo 6.5’s, but will probably have a companion 4-Track passive mixer using 3.5’s, so lots of options there!

Heard. Cool news about the passive 4-track. That’s just suuuuuper useful!

This sounds like some serious potential! I’m buying if you eventually start selling @millbastard! Good work :slight_smile:

Have you all seen these? They’re not a companion device like described here, but still somehow related.

https://github.com/topisani/OTTO/
OP-1 inspired all-in-one synth/sequencer/sampler/recorder/more solution. Previously TOP-1

http://www.axoloti.com/
Sketching digital audio algorithms with the musical playability of standalone hardware.

@wavi my device is actually based on the Axoloti! Great little device for anyone interested in building their own custom stuff!