OP1 Field - General and specific questions

Hi everyone!

First timer here. And quite the OP newbie, I’m afraid.

I have some questions about the OP1 Field workflows. Tried and search this forum, subreddits and loads of YouTube videos - even timidly tried TE’s support - but couldn’t find straight answers.
So excuse me if this has already been asked/answered.

Here goes.

• There appears to be issues with the OP1 Field and class compliant audio interfaces. Is this a fixed issue or still a redundant issue where you can’t send audio via many - if not most - class compliant audio interfaces. I couldn’t find a list or infos on this lately. Has a firmware update fixed this? Is there one on the way?
    I own a Helix Floor unit (which is bulky but is class compliant and would be a perfect way for me to record mics and guitars in), a UA Volt 276 (which is definitely not class compliant), an Audient ID22 (which can function as a class compliant interface BUT works with a dedicated software too), a Behringer UMC404HD (a class compliant interface) and intend to buy an Audient EVO4 (which is sold as a class compliant one and has the perfect form factor compared to the Helix Floor). And I was hoping to get at least some of them to work great with the OP1 Field. Since I intended to songwrite the eff out of the OP, it would be a big no-go for me if this wasn’t fixed at all.

• I read, on this very forum, that guitars and other mono-source instruments would only be recorded as mono signals. Meaning they are hard-panned left. I’ve been using audio gear for the past 20+ years, so I know some workarounds - ie. processing the incoming or resulting signal with some kind of stereo processor to make a mono signal stereo. But I’m a little wary of this particular workaround on the OP - especially with the class compliant issues.
    Does anyone has some kind of fix? Did TE addressed this in a firmware update already?
    I know the OP1f is stereo all across the board. But the « panning center a left-panned mono signal » workaround usually means losing amplitude in the signal. And addressing this with a gain fix results in higher noise floor. So, not a great fix for my intended use.

• I’m still a bit fuzzy on some workflow and specifications on importing samples.
    More precisely, even tho I read the entire manual, I couldn’t find any precise specifications on the OP1 Field internal storage. I’ve been reading contradicting infos (such as twice the internal storage of the OG OP1, 5Go+ internal storage, etc).
    I do know you can record 20 second drumloops for sampling purposes, and - if I’m not mistaken - around 6 minutes per audio loop. But it’s a bit confusing and can’t quite get my hands on any definitive infos.
    Does any of you guys have answers on these ones?

• Last but not least. I’m interested in your ways of monitoring the audio out. Do you use external monitors at all times - and if so, how do you manage to connect them to your OP1f (special cables, through an audio interface or only a mixer, etc)? Do you really use the on-board speaker or is it just gimmicky? Is the audio output sturdy enough?
    I intend to use the OP1 Field as a portable solution outside of my home studio (around the house, on various trips, in other studios, etc) and although I get the general idea as to how to get the audio out, I’m curious to know if there are specific ways I’m not aware of.

Thanks for your time.
You guys just rock.
Take care!

1. I have had zero issues with USB-C class compliant audio since day one, personally. I cannot speak to if it’s been improved in updates. However I believe in this mode audio output comes from the OP-1 jack only, and not USB-C. At least last time I checked. Everything I own works. My Blue Yeti, Presonus Audiobox USB, Zoom H1n. The Zoom is handy because it’s a cheap and cheerful XY stereo condenser which can be powered from the OP-1f or obviously from AAA and field record a bunch of longer stuff to record into shorter samples in unit. Handy for the go bag.

2. Mono input is now a feature after an update. I show that in my video with the Microfreak, which is a mono output and the whole synth can be powered from the OP-1 Field, inc midi IO!
    Power Microfreak with OP-1 Field - YouTube

3. Storage. From memory it is about 5GB or 6GB you see when mounting the MTP volume on the computer. Storage is enough :slight_smile: I guess there are three levels. In terms of tape you can have 8 tapes. You can use these however you like. The recording quality can be set differently (studio reel to reel for top quality, porta studio, disc mini etc for more characterful results) per tape, but only 8 tapes total. Each tape is 6 minutes long. Each tape contains four stereo tracks, so that’s like 8 mono tracks if you care to think of it that way, except you can’t record arm just the left channel of a track. Unlike tape you can cut and paste and past again (called lift and drop) across tracks and across tapes even. So record a sample to a grungy tape and then lift it and drop it onto your studio tape where you’re making your song. It will still sound grungy as it was recorded to that other track first. This is also how you get undo… before recording, lift and drop the current track. A copy remains on the ‘clipboard’ like on a PC. If your real-time improv gets it’s timing sprung by the deer in the headlights effect of the red recording lights (since we all perform better when it’s NOT recording, or is that just me :slight_smile: ) just rewind to the start and press drop again to overwrite your nightmare with the clip that was present before. And it’s still on the clipboard! So you can do this again a lot. Which brings us to the fact you can drop the tape into either sampler!

There are two sound generation slots, called synth and drum. Both have various generators AND a sampler. So you have have synth drums and samples instruments or vice versa. It’s monotimbral though, midi wise. You play or sequence your part and record to tape as audio.

The drum sampler is now 20 seconds. The synth sampler is now 12 seconds. They each have their own benefits and abilities - there are some excellent sound pack libraries by some 3rd parties, especially Rephazer. Look them up. I own them all :slight_smile: In creating those packs many sounds are instrument multi samples per key or every few keys using the drum sampler. But the synth sampler has nice sonic character over a long key range and better envelope controls, notably cross fade looping. Drum sampler can have stereo samples or have each channel of the sample panned centre and an AB control cross fades between them. So if you give it a sample where left channel is a clean kick and right channel is a distorted kick, in that mode they’ll both be panned centre but could crossfade by that control, or velocity for example… Normally each key is a slice of the larger sample, but you could have multiple keys which use the same part of the sample in different ways, eg one key plays it normally, another plays it transposed and volume adjusted and different start and end points etc.

Anyway for Synth and Drum you can have 8 sound slots, 8 buttons, which give you easy one button access to 8 presets for each. Each one starts with a synth or a sample on page 1, envelope and basic parameters (poly, unison etc) on page 2, insert effect on page 3 and lfo on page 4. Like you can swap in different effects, likewise you can swap in different types of lfo. But mostly it’s a single thing, you can make it LFO a synth or an effect parameter, but not both. If you long push one of the 8 preset buttons it will save your edited preset to the preset browser as a ‘snapshot’ this includes any sample data used. You can rename it. You can back it up to the computer. You can then make more changes to the sound and if you hold the same button again, it saves ANOTHER preset. You don’t have a low hard limit for presets like on vintage synths with say, 32 slots. It’s just another snapshot in the browser, names by date and time until you change it. So it’s an excellent system for making sounds because you save it, then tweak more and when you save again that’s a second sound. Then in the browser you can compare and delete what you don’t like. I went on a bender making a bunch of chip tune like sounds this way. In terms of sound storage numbers? I don’t know but it’s a lot. I have all the rephazer packs and sounds I’ve made myself and some other packs, plenty of room.

1. Monitoring wise as it’s a portable thing I have Sennheiser in ear corded earbuds in my Field sling bag. They seal well enough and are flat enough. Forget what model - more expensive than Apple EarPods but not super expensive. Oh. I bought them for my original OP-1. This time around I’d try to find something as good but with a mic, for the vocoder. Although the built in mic is actually really good, I often just use that. The built in speaker is good enough that in a quiet park with no one around on a table I can just use it like that a bit. It’s definitely usable. But external is better. At home I normally sit the field on the top of my Nord Grand (a digital stage piano) which has some Nord monitor speakers, just small powered speakers which are surprisingly decent. I have the Yamaha BT-01 midi BLE dongle plugged into the Nord, so it becomes a wireless midi controller for the Field.

I have the offical field sleeve bag, and sometimes just use that. Carry earphones a few leads and the midi dongle in it. Or with more gear in a 9L Belroy sling, which can also fit an iPad mini with Logic. Portable music making options are now only limited by time :slight_smile:

Anyway hope that’s helpful, apologies for the long post but particularly with regard to how samples and tape work it’s hard to explain in a few sentences.

OH… unlike real tape where an erase head deletes the track, this never does. If you want to delete, cut. It always overdubs. So every time you record into a track it adds to what was there prior. Which is amazing.

2 Likes

Thanks. So much.
TE owes you a sale!

Not only is your answer detailed af, but it even goes beyond.

I can only say thank you for now, but if I can ever be of help to you, just tell me!

I’m most definitely gonna check out these awesome accessories you’ve been telling me about.

I have an humble home studio with not-so portable gear. The only real portable pieces of gear I have right now are AirPods Max and an iPad Air 5.
I was already interested in the Zoom H series - you just decided me!
I have some studio mics, but they were never in the big picture to pair with the OP1f. I’m gonna have to look into these In-ears you’re talking about!
Cause I definitely want to get some vocals into the OP1f. I plan to sample quite a bit out off the world around me.

The OP1 packs you mentioned are the one thing I didn’t really consider before hand. But now, you just made me curious.
I still am going to try and sample all these 3rd party plugins sounds I’m attached to in the studio (drumkits from the likes of Toontrack’s Drums Suites, UJAM’s Beatmakers, Output’s ARCADE samples, Arturia’s Pigments, etc) but I’m a creative musician and as such, it is my mission to go on a sound designing journey with a limitless curiosity. And coming from you - and your dedicated answer - I already know that’s gonna be the greatest tool to pair with the OP1f.

I’m gonna go and watch your video - and your other content if there’s more. You took the time to answer thoroughly, I’m gonna binge-watch your content like the latest BlackMirror season. I’ll tell you that much.

Don’t know if I can be of any help at any point, but you’ve made a friend in France. That’s for sure.

Thanks. Thanks again. Thank you so much. Out of all the forums and places I’ve asked, you delivered.

You, sir, are the real MVP!

1 Like

Haha, thanks :slight_smile: Yeah I should take more time producing content and less doing long forum posts, but text is easy. But yes I’ll probably do some more instructional things. The OP-1f is a super cool little beastie.
Those sound packs, eg the Rephazer ones, he’s done some YouTube demos of them. But they give some immediately usable great sounds covering a different scope to the presets. But you can make your own of course.
Anyway, Enjoy :slight_smile:

1 Like

Checked out your YT channel…it’s a retro time machine wonderland. Loved it!
I’m probably gonna pull the trigger on the OP1 Field tomorrow. I know it’s gonna deliver new creative ways and spaces for me.
And your answers just made me certain it is the beast for me.

I spent the last month going basically bonkers on every review of every OP1 alternatives out-there.
And I can say two things :

• the OP1 has no competition whatsoever
  • a creative piece of hardware that polarizing is probably a good choice for any creative musician.

Thanks again.

If you ever need some guitar tracks, I’d be happy to deliver. I kinda owe you one!

1 Like

Thanks :slight_smile: Yeah it’s a great little machine - there is no direct comparison I agree. People saying “get an MPC” or something are really missing the point. Definitely my desert island but of gear… would just need a USB-C solar panel to charge it :slight_smile:

1 Like

You might just be onto something here!

i watched your vid… when i hold shift and press mic it just takes me back to the tape screen or whatever screen i was on previously… it doesn’t change to mono. i’m on fw 1.5.0 and using a cable like pictured… thoughts???

when i hold shift and press mic it just takes me back to the tape screen or whatever screen i was on previously… it doesn’t change to mono

Hi! Thanks for watching my video :slight_smile: Pressing Mic just turns monitoring (hearing the input) on and off I think, shift+mic lets you change the settings. On that settings screen, when you’ve selected the input, the Ochre (yellow/orange) encoder turning it changes the input to mono from stereo.

From memory the blue one selects which input, eg like input, FM radio, etc. I don’t have it in front of me right now.

Hope that helps :slight_smile:

EDIT:
Just had a play - Shift mic only turns mic monitoring on and off on a sample screen. Pressing it normally brings up the input selection page. Blue to select input, turn Orchre to change to mono from stereo.

that did it, thanx! :))