OP1 first and then?

If you’re into more classic sounding keyboards/organs/pianos look up nord’s stuff.

I use and still use a MacBook and I have an amazing array of softsynths that have a lot of power and use a lot of CPU and I have an Akai MPK mini, nanoPad2, and nanoKontrol to control them. The Akai is super light but I don't think this is a good thing. It felt hollow and like a shell to me. I need things that will take a bit of a beating.
Yeah, I hear you. I still mainly use my Macbook 'in the studio' with an Akai MPK49 and some analog gear, but I am loving the portability of the iPad/Xkey combo (and OP-1). And I do think that lately a lot of folks making apps for iOS are really thinking out of the box and coming up with things that actually sound 'new' to me. For so many years everything coming out in the digital realm was some sort of same-ish sounding VA or FM-based deal, which always just pushed me towards sampling. That said, NOTHING is more satisfying than playing my actual Moog. :)

That’s great to hear!

Moog!! MOOG!!! What Moog?
I’d love a Moog. One day… One day!

@daninski if you can get a Moog then you won’t be disappointed!

Sorry to clog the thread so forgive me for answering…
You’ve definitely stoked my curiosity regarding the new sounds. My musical approach has been that of a tortoise or a Tai Chi practitioner; slow and sure. After all these years I am just beginning to sample so thanks @Unflattered @wingo
I am going to pick up Samplr. I may also pick up Patterning and Animoog just for kicks.
I learn so much on this forum! :slight_smile:

That’s great to hear!

Moog!! MOOG!!! What Moog?
I’d love a Moog. One day… One day!

@daninski if you can get a Moog then you won’t be disappointed!

I have a Sub Phatty, which is like my child. A friend of mine just got a Sub37, which is also amazing - like a Sub Phatty on steroids. I love my Sub Phatty, though, I think I’ll hold onto it forever - its elegant simplicity is inspiring. It’s beautifully designed and hand-built, and you can’t beat the sound. It’s like a playground programming it. For a mono synth, you really can’t beat it.

With Analog keys, do you think only having 4 voices and a step sequencer is a problem if I’m used to the pseudo 4 track on my OP1? Note stealing and the like? I do love a big chord… Any other keyboard offer a similar thing to that lovely built in 4 track?

Roland’s JD-Xi has a four track pattern sequencer. 1 monophonic analog, 2 digitals with up to 128 voices, I think the 4th is PCM drum sounds.

I don’t know much about the sequencer itself, though, but don’t expect it to be an Elektron sequencer. I’m sure it’s useful, though.
Octatrack.

+1

Alesis Micron! Cracking wee synth plus sequencer onboard, very cheap on eBay. Only downside is you need patience to get too deep into sound design.

I shall google these exotic names suggested :slight_smile:

Alesis Micron! Cracking wee synth plus sequencer onboard, very cheap on eBay. Only downside is you need patience to get too deep into sound design.

I have one of these! I always wished there was a Mac program to tweak and save parameters, so I didn’t have to drill down into that little menu screen. I have no tolerance for that crap any longer, in the age of iPad / OP-1.

I have one of these! I always wished there was a Mac program to tweak and save parameters, so I didn’t have to drill down into that little menu screen. I have no tolerance for that crap any longer, in the age of iPad / OP-1.

I have one, too. Sounds decent, but yeah - that stupid little screen. Worst way to program anything. At some point I had this (AU?) plugin that you could open in a DAW that would communicate with the Micron and was a basic patch editor/librarian. But I remember it being very home-brew and not so stable. I doubt if that even still exists anymore - it was a few years ago now.

http://micron-patch-a-day.blogspot.co.uk/2015/02/micron-editor-for-osx-micronau.html

MicronAu, I still use it. In my experience, rock solid. See link above.

Octatrack.

+1

+1 as well.

With the Octatrack, you can pilot 8 synthesizers (Volcas, OP-1, Blofeld, Shruthi-1 are the one I use)
You can control each of them with a keyboard plugged in the OT, just have to select the right MIDI track to get from one to another (for instance)
You have 12 MIDI parameters that you can p-lock, which bring any piece of gear a lot further than its specific area.

Then you can sample them, so that you get your perfect ensemble and can mess with it.
You can add drums with the 8 tracks devoted to samples.
You got plenty of effects.
And I still haven’t talked about the cross-mighty-fader…
Like the OP-1 it has many faces, and can bring you really far, and gently out of your comfort zone, to expand it.

At last : you may find one for half the price of the AK.
:slight_smile: