op1 sounds via midi vs audio possible (for ipad recording)

naive question:
when recording op1 sounds into ipad apps like looperverse

is the only way to record this way via
that is, audio out of the op1 ONLY from its headphone out
and from there
into some kind of interface that then
does line in, to the ipad?

or is there a usb out into ipad possible?
(or will usb out from op1 only ever act as a midi contoller for ipad soft synths because its usb is only sending midi info to its own sequencers, then using something to translate into analog audio on its own speakers)

this is all probably really basic…
thanks for your clarifications/help

• m.c.

ps this is the set up that inspired this question and how to be as lightweight in gear as possible - the rig in this vid is small put not light weight - many pieces
eg
https://youtu.be/nBADYxGJ5QE

if your iPad has a combo headphone/microphone jack
then u could use a TRRS adapter and use the input there.

or u just use a usb audio interface and the camera connection kit to input audio

op1 does not pass audio thru the usb

@docshermsticks said:
if your iPad has a combo headphone/microphone jack
then u could use a TRRS adapter and use the input there.

yes of course!
brilliant

or perhaps an old irig
hmmm
hunt thru connectors box begins
fab

or u just use a usb audio interface and the camera connection kit to input audio

yes right cool

op1 does not pass audio thru the usb

and THAT is the golden critical fact confirmed

thank you so so much for taking the time

karma debt reduction points to you
thank you again

• m.c.

OK another query - have now tried with an irig but perhaps that’s strictly mono
and i have NO idea how to hear it on both tracks - with loopverse pan doesn’t really pan - it seems.

• will a trrs adaptor maintain the stereo as it hits the mic in the ipad??

thanks
m.c.

(ps even going from an interface - to something like this - it seems to get stereo one would need a cable that splits from stereo to left and right? to have the audio picked up as stereo? - or ok perhaps dual mono is a better way to say it?)

the mic input on the TRRS is mono. if u want stereo, the usb audio interface + CCK is the way to go.

thank you - you know i put a rode sc6 adaptor on the 1/8 stereo from the op1 to the ipad headphone jack and there into lookverse - it got stereo but sounds muddy as heck.

how would you get stereo from the op1 to the audio interface? a splitter for a l/r input?? can’t see another way…

ACTUALLY _ a mono track is fine - if i can hear it across both ears but right now it’s either left or right can - there must be a way to move a mono track against both ears… puzzles to solve

thank you
mc

u should be able to output in stereo i.e. both left and right ears from whatever app you are using. would suggest looking into the settings for your app.

as for stereo to an audio interface, well that depends on the interface u get.
if it has separate L and R inputs then yea you gunna need a cable that separates the L and R individually
some interfaces may have a 3.5mm stereo input so in that case u wouldn’t need to.

@docshermsticks said:
u should be able to output in stereo i.e. both left and right ears from whatever app you are using. would suggest looking into the settings for your app.

absolutely right.
I had it set to stereo left right from the interface, rather than mono from input 2.
That sorted the hearing in both l/r,
but now this app for some reason is not letting me hear the input - and as far as i can tell nothing is muted.

records fine - just can’t monitor it - and its just in this app - other apps recording fine. Success!

so looperverse is a separtate problem-

dang.

as for stereo to an audio interface, well that depends on the interface u get.
if it has separate L and R inputs then yea you gunna need a cable that separates the L and R individually

yes that makes sense.

some interfaces may have a 3.5mm stereo input so in that case u wouldn’t need to.

and thank you for your patience in stating this so clearly.

will post pictures if (when) i get the looperverse thing working.

THANK YOU
-m.c.-