OPZ/Digitone synth comparison! Craft vs Immediacy

To sum it up simple, the Digitone is a much stronger sound design tool where you can really get into your sounds. The OPZ isn’t as detailed but is a much more immediate tool for composing music.

3 Likes

Fascinating. I’ve always considered the gyro to be a worthless gimmick. What do you use it for?

I can see how the microphone would be useful to some people, but I never use it and don’t value it.

I find the audio interface to be of limited use since the USB is so noisy when charging that you can only use it when running on battery. It’s useful I guess, but only because there’s no line out.

1 Like

To me the Dgtn and the opz are different takes on the same general concept. A grovebox with awesome sequencing capabilities. They share a lot of core functions like step/live sequencing, audio over usb, multitrack sequencer, the ability to produce an entire track without any external gear.
The fact that one is battery powered and the other is not doesn’t mean that you can’t compare them

2 Likes

I know this, but it doesn’t change the fact that 100% of the time I have to turn off charging and re-record after I notice the noise. Or leave my OP-Z at home because I forgot to turn charging back on after recording. The result is that I rarely use the OP-Z as anything other than a sequencer for my bass synth.

1 Like

:man_facepalming:

2 Likes

I have both and need both!! One is a professional instrument, the other is my partner in crime!! Not quite a professional instrument but had so much personality and it’s so fun who cares!!

2 Likes

I have the answer to your noise problems - this thing is worth it’s weight in gold https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07235PR4V/ref=ppx_od_dt_b_asin_title_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

2 Likes

I think I’m going to have to get something like this. The USB noise doesn’t go away when I turn off charging. It just converts to a different noise.

1 Like

I know you didn’t ask for proof or anything, but here’s a video of the exact model I linked above completely solving my OP-Z USB noise issue.

In the video, the OP-Z and other gear are fed into the MakerHart mixer, which is connected to my laptop all via standard 3.5mm audio. I start off with the OP-Z directly plugged into the USB hub connected to the laptop, record a bunch of noise, then plug the OP-Z into the HiLetgo and record silence. I actually just bought a second one because I’m getting a similar issue with my new Korg NTS-1. I should note that I don’t usually record directly from the OP-Z via USB, but this is also silent through the HiLetgo when connected to the laptop via USB hub.

4 Likes

OPZ is amazing. I love it. The synth sounds are pure shit though. Perfect for sketching stuff out but I ain’t committing any to a track anytime soon unless it’s a 50%+ wet signal situation.

3 Likes

I love my OP-1 for its portability, sent back the OP-Z for the lack of synthesis parameters and IMO questionable quality.
Nowadays I bring the Digitone with me, with a pair of cans and an XTPower battery.
Granted, it’s not as easy as the OP-Z to install. But the synthesis is way deeper on the DN.

If you need something in your pocket, OP-Z is fun. But if you’re ok with a tote bag, Digitone (or Digitakt) and a portable battery give you hours of fun, and IMO more reusable matter.

Anyway, whatever your passion is, let’s chill and keep an understanding attitude please.