OPZ pitched samples sound bad + memory issue

This is taken from the OP-Z guide at TE website:

“you can store a total of 32 MB of sample data”

From what we have discussed here this is very misleading information (not to say it is wrongful).

yea i agree its misleading.

however if one really wanted to get lawyer-y
they might say that its technically not wrong
as the other 8mb is likely reserved for bounces
which is technically “sample data”

@docshermsticks Ha, yeah old school methods FTW :wink: It did cross my mind to do that actually, although perhaps we should not really need to, but yeah I get your point.

@punji They must be including the part reserved for bounces in the 32mb, so yes perhaps a bit misleading or at the least not very clear.

Yes, maybe nothing intentional, but it would be better if they clarified that. By the way, that awful sound in some samples playback seems like quantization noise due to rouding errors in the interpolation when pitch-shifting. I’m sure TE could fix that with a revision to the sampler engine, like adding dithering.

@punji Yes thought so.

For reference I looked at the available file slots on an empty OPZ, there are 27 empty drum slots, and 16 empty synth slots, given that a drum slot can be upto 1036kb, and a synth can be upto 518kb, the 24mb (even 32mb) isn’t enough, you’d need approx 36mb to have all the files with max sizes.

[moved to suggestions]

Is everyone with the aliasing/poor pitch tracking on the new OS? Didn’t the release notes mention it fixed artifacts in the samples?

@Lymtronics Yes I am on latest OS.

@darenager I added to it to the bugs post on the Facebook group which one of the beta testers has passed on to the developers. I’ll send a bug report to TE too.

Surprised it didn’t get caught during beta testing, hope they don’t claim it’s a feature rather than a bug. Loving the OP-Z so far, but I mostly use samples so it’s quite a big problem for me. Transposing in the drum sampler sounds pretty good, so hopefully they will sort it!

@Lymtronics Yep I’m on the latest OS too. Saw that on the release notes but think that was a different problem.

[moved to suggestions]

i’m curious @darenager u said before that u only had 1.5mb left when u looked at the drive info.
does that maybe mean that u can actually go above the 24mb “limit” ?

@docshermsticks Unfortunately not, that was because I had some bounces onboard.

Just checked my synth samples and they’re all the same size (533kb) even when the sample is shorter, so pretty sure it fills out the space and only accepts files that are 6 seconds long.

On the OP-1 I sometimes put a few different samples in one file and adjust the start point, but can’t do that on the OP-Z yet unfortunately!

https://imgur.com/a/M4OmOgH

@cretakano said:
Just checked my synth samples and they’re all the same size (533kb) even when the sample is shorter, so pretty sure it fills out the space and only accepts files that are 6 seconds long.

On the OP-1 I sometimes put a few different samples in one file and adjust the start point, but can’t do that on the OP-Z yet unfortunately!

https://imgur.com/a/M4OmOgH

Thanks for confirming, yes I like to have a few samples in one file on the OP1 too, I hope the OPZ will support this in the future!