OPZ pitched samples sound bad + memory issue

Noticed that synth samples from OP-1 do not sound correct on Z, every few notes has artifacts not present on the original, sounds like aliasing.

Also since there is only 32mb, I don’t think it will actually be possible to fill all of the available sample slots - I have 1.5mb left and lots of empty slots left, so I’m assuming that the current memory area is just a sandbox and later more memory will be available.

I thought you can use less than 6s for single sample PCM player synths ? Could be wrong …

Yes you can use less than 6 seconds, but it still occupies the same amount of memory as a the full 6 seconds, same as OP-1. Same with drums, you get up to 12 seconds per kit, but the space used is always the same even if for some kits you do not use the full 12 seconds.

I definitely think the 32mb is just a temporary sandbox, it seems daft to limit to such a small amount that does not even allow the user to have all their own 10 drumkits for each drum track and 10 samples for each synth track. So hopefully a currently hidden +drive is coming in a future update. Pure speculation on my part though :wink:

i don’t think thats how it works w/ the drum sampler.

i’ve been able to load up more patches on my op1 w/ smaller drum patches than w/ all full 12 second ones.
suggesting that it doesn’t take up the full 12 second memory for each one regardless of how much time is actually used

Further speculating here: the RAM memory part number shown in the OP-Z tear down corresponds to a 64MByte part, and it is not unreasonable to assume they preload all the samples from the 1GB Flash into it for performance reasons, they could at best double that space, but you need to account for other RAM needs as well, so that may never happen. Of course, maybe they could stream the samples from flash, but maybe not.

By the way, is the OP-1 sample file padded with silence to fill those 6 or 12 seconds in case of shorter samples? I never looked into that before, but if yes, would it be possible to trim the files using and audio editor and save some RAM space?

@darenager said:
every few notes has artifacts not present on the original, sounds like aliasing.

cool!

@punji said:

By the way, is the OP-1 sample file padded with silence to fill those 6 or 12 seconds in case of shorter samples? I never looked into that before, but if yes, would it be possible to trim the files using and audio editor and save some RAM space?

I’m only going by samples that were shorter than maximum that I loaded into the OPZ, they were the same size as if they were max length. It may be that the OPZ is padding them I guess.

A precision design team like TE would hardly provide us with more slots than the memory can hold!
Here’s hoping for extra onboard memory being opened up for Xmas. And not in a Waldorf Blofeld SL way.

@darenager I still don’t get it… as @docshermsticks said, doesn’t shorter samples take less space? How can you know that all samples take the full 6 or 12 seconds? The 1.5MB that you have available are from the 32MB flash memory partition point of view, right?

@punji When you mount as drive you get the usual drive info showing how much memory is used/left - mine says something like 32mb/1.5mb left, additionally when you drop samples into the slots it shows the file size, no matter how long the samples are they are all (respectively drum/synth) the same size, I’m not at home right now but I’ll dig into it later and post some specifics.

Yeah I’ve made a few posts about this, synth samples sound really bad, almost unusable on most sounds. The P1 bit crush also sounds pretty bad, and P2 doesn’t do anything.

Here is a clip of a Juno chord being played down the keys, really strange artifacts and aliasing on certain notes - https://clyp.it/rptaujq0

It doesn’t seem as bad on some other samples, so thinking it could be to do with the pitch detection.

Really hope they just port over the synth sampler from the OP-1 which sounds great to me, with start, end and loop points.

1 Like

@cretakano said:
Really hope they just port over the synth sampler from the OP-1 which sounds great to me, with start, end and loop points.

Yes, please just give us a “normal” sampler…it would increase the potential of this machine infinitely!

1 Like

@punji - seems I was at least partly mistaken re the file sizes, it seems that if the drum samples do not occupy the full 12 seconds then the file size will be smaller as a result, I must have just by chance only looked at the files in my OPZ which happened to be right at the limit, typical :wink:

But for the synth samples what I first suggested may still stand, that is to say all of the synth samples that I transferred are using the whole 518kb available, despite not being the full 6 seconds in length, it could just be that whilst recording them I held the record key down for the whole duration, so I need to check this to be certain.

Regardless, it seems that the 32 or so mb available for user samples isn’t going to be enough to have each slot contain samples - certainly not all full size samples anyway, which seems a strange design choice if there is no future memory unlock coming :slight_smile:

mine are definitely not taking up more space if they are less than 12 seconds.

look in the import.log file and it tells u exactly how much space each patch is using and how much space u have left.
mine are all adding different values. (their respective file sizes)

this would also seem to suggest that there is actually only 24mb reserved for samples in the 32mb drive partition.

@cretakano Seems consistent with the results I have been getting, although perhaps not quite as severe - not using the bit crush, but it almost sounds like it! I think you are right, it is something to do with pitch calculation for certain notes being off, almost like the sample rate is not correct.

Has anyone filed a bug report yet? Can’t believe they are not aware of it, beta testers must have found it.

Here is a example of it on a bass sound: https://we.tl/t-7a2XAErDu1

@docshermsticks thanks for confirming, the other remaining space of the 32mb is probably for bounces, 5 x 10 sec stereo?

So, from the import.log information, the total sample space size is 24MB instead of 32MB ???

kinda hope they ditch the bounce feature tbh.
it sounds cool at first glance but only 10 seconds doesn’t seem very useful.
think most would def rather have that 8mb or whatever extra for sample slots
8mb is like atleast 6 to 8 more patches maybe

i haven’t messed w/ the synth sampler yet but are u guys using the utility that that dude on here built to prepare them or na? wonder if that helps?

i would obv welcome more memory but i wouldn’t hold my breath for it.
my guess is that they are assuming u will use atleast some synth engines and not want to pack the entire thing w/ samples (its more than fair to want to tho)
there are already 8 synth engines not counting the sampler one
they will prolly release new ones too as time goes on also.

@punji Yes.
@docshermsticks I just used samples made on my OP-1.
Kind of short sighted to not allow all the slots (especially drums) with samples, I am nowhere near using all the drum slots, think I have 4/10 empty Kick slots, 5/10 empty Snare slots, 2/10 empty Perc slots, and 1/10 empty FX slots, my log is showing 16mb used out of 24mb, so the remaining available 12 drum slots won’t actually fit all full 12 second files.

i do this a lot to fit more patches on the op1.
double the speed of the patch then pitch back down to original in the device.
u can even do it right in the drum utility
classic trick.

whenever i think something needs more memory i just remember that my mpc60 has only 1.5mb and i can usually make a few beats on it before filling it up so 24mb is like worlds more than 1.5 (16x to be exact)
stock its only 750kb! think of how cats used to get by w/ such limited memory by todays standards

making music isn’t about specs/stats/ram available or how many patches a device can hold
its about groove/feeling/rhythm/etc.

i find its good to remind myself of this in todays ultra technological world