Other interfaces usb in/usb host than OPLAB ? if not where can i buy one in europe/france ?

Hi everyone, i would like to control my op1 with an usb midi keyboard ( only usb out ) and i was wondering if i need an interface as the oplab to do it or i can simply connect my usb keyboard straight into the usb op1 with a cable usb to usb ?

If i cannot do it and i need an interface, can you tell give me an online store to buy it since i could`t find the oplab on the official website and i cannot find any online/physical store here in Lyon, France.

Or other usb to usb interfaces ?

thanks

I use an iConnectivity interface…it works well for USB to USB host communication (the iConnectmidi series specifically).

http://www.iconnectivity.com/

I use axoloti … connect the op-1 to it via usb and then a simple midi thru patch means i can route midi to DIN or USB hosted.

For only controlling it with your keyboard I can recommend tp build your own, so much cheaper (approx €30)

https://www.operator-1.com/index.php?p=/discussion/comment/30971/#Comment_30971

Thanks for the answers ! i’ll check both possibilities

I use an iOS device with a camera connection kit, a USB hub and the MidiBridge app.

I use an iOS device with a camera connection kit, a USB hub and the MidiBridge app.

Same here: iPad + MidiFlow, CCK, Hub, KeyStep, OP-1 (in OPT mode)

The logical progression will lead you to an iconnectmidi4. I don’t think there’s another thing on the market that addresses the need arising from having to interface with the op1, especially if you have an iPad in the same setup

The logical progression will lead you to an iconnectmidi4. I don’t think there’s another thing on the market that addresses the need arising from having to interface with the op1, especially if you have an iPad in the same setup
Yup, though I’m eying the MIO at the moment because it’s USB powered. The iPad definitely needs to go though as “required” device, it’s too open-ended.

The logical progression will lead you to an iconnectmidi4. I don't think there's another thing on the market that addresses the need arising from having to interface with the op1, especially if you have an iPad in the same setup
Yup, though I'm eying the MIO at the moment because it's USB powered. The iPad definitely needs to go though as "required" device, it's too open-ended.

I use a first gen iconnectmidi, but with the iPad in the same picture, I had to add a cheapomatic usb audio i/o and there you can already see how to record things back into the iPad and to sequence or sync them at the same time you kind of need an interface that does audio+midi+usbhost.

[…] you can already see how to record things back into the iPad and to sequence or sync them at the same time you kind of need an interface that does audio+midi+usbhost.
Totally agree but I don’t want to use the iPad for that. That’s just a personal choice though. As you said it could do it alright. I prefer knobs and keys and other physical interfaces which limit you [1]

I’d love to use the OP-1 for that but unfortunately there are some unsurmountable limitations e.g. that you can’t lift & drop tracks without affecting the play back. I’m looking into hardware loopers/samplers to fill this gap though syncing them seems to be an issue that I haven’t seen solved until now.

[1] Yes, when I first heard that kind of talk I thought as well that “you must be an
idiot! Who wants to artificially limit themselves when you can have all things your heart desires at the touch of a smooth surface?” In the meantime I’ve been down the Korg Gadget, Audulus, Modular, iMS-20, AnalogKit, iElectribe, Patterning, Tabletop etc. road though and nothing beats pressing those PO knobs and twiddeling those OP knobs. Well, nothing until I start with modular but that’s another story :slight_smile:

I'd love to use the OP-1 for that but unfortunately there are some unsurmountable limitations e.g. that you can't lift & drop tracks without affecting the play back. I'm looking into hardware loopers/samplers to fill this gap though syncing them seems to be an issue that I haven't seen solved until now.
Btw, at the moment I think the Octatrack with the Pick Up Machine could be the HW solution I'm looking for. Anyone using the OT able to comment on that?
Totally agree but I don't want to use the iPad for that. That's just a personal choice though. As you said it could do it alright. I prefer knobs and keys and other physical interfaces which limit you [...] nothing beats pressing those PO knobs and twiddeling those OP knobs.

This is my brief, while picking a toolset to use with the iPad. Can I use GarageBand as just a multitrack recorder; can I use Trigger Box to sync two Volcas to interlocked rhythms of different lengths and play the boxes without getting quickly bored of the 16 steps;; can I use a step sequencer that is more graphical than the OP1’s but do the sound programming on the OP1; what will get me past the noodling stage and arranging a song without playing safe.

TE said that the oplab is no longer in production due the low demand… you need of a midi interface or something like that with an USB host connection, axoloti could be a good solution because it’s cheap and a great synth

TE said that the oplab is no longer in production due the low demand... you need of a midi interface or something like that with an USB host connection, axoloti could be a good solution because it's cheap and a great synth
Intersting. What does the oplab do that the axoloti doesn't?