OTO machines

Well, I must diverge a little from my fellow forum friends. I got a final batch OTO Biscuit one month ago but I´m not exactly happy with the machine :frowning: Probably is my fault, because I didn´t had the enough time to explore it´s full functionalities and interactions but I was expecting something more immediate and “musical”. The bitcrusher is aggressive and even on low levels it´s really noisy for my taste - the same for the Drive (although I like that it doesn´t sound metallic as the one from my Moogerfooger!). On the other side, the filter isn´t “creamy” enough for me. Doing a rough parallel, the Microgranny bit reduction is easier to have more musical results. I´ll try to serious explore the Biscuit when I´m back from my holidays but is possible that a unit will be here in some weeks for sale - probably to fund a OTO Bam :slight_smile:

Well, I must diverge a little from my fellow forum friends. I got a final batch OTO Biscuit one month ago but I´m not exactly happy with the machine :( Probably is my fault, because I didn´t had the enough time to explore it´s full functionalities and interactions but I was expecting something more immediate and "musical". The bitcrusher is aggressive and even on low levels it´s really noisy for my taste - the same for the Drive (although I like that it doesn´t sound metallic as the one from my Moogerfooger!). On the other side, the filter isn´t "creamy" enough for me. Doing a rough parallel, the Microgranny bit reduction is easier to have more musical results. I´ll try to serious explore the Biscuit when I´m back from my holidays but is possible that a unit will be here in some weeks for sale - probably to fund a OTO Bam :)

Hey man, did you read the manual by chance? There are default settings for the naked and dressed knobs that make the mix proper. The phase between the two signals can also do some weird things. I find the biscuit can be quite subtle at the default settings and I usually adjust it to have a bit more bite. Could be you just don’t dig it and there’s nothing wrong with that tho!

@aeoner, hope you find it but if it isn’t for you drop me a note, cheers Paul

I’m trying to decide whether to snag one of the last Biscuits and have a question for you owners out there…

Has anyone tried using an adapter to run the Biscuit with USB power (from a battery pack, etc)? I’d love it if I could add this to a portable setup :wink:

pictures I’ve found of the Biscuit @Zzzach lead me to believe that the Biscuit runs on a 9V AC adapter, and that’s real tricky to do portably/on the go.

I’ve found an adapter that claims it would work with 9V (or 12V,even) but I’m skeptical. Not a big deal either way, I guess.

Regardless, I’ve never wanted a piece of gear so bad yet been so afraid to pull the trigger. Resale value should keep going up if I end up regretting or wanting to sell it, right?

Blew my Biscuit power supply before a show in Germany using a Euro adaptor. Guess to the voltages don’t match. Luckily was able to borrow a cable that worked. Denis from Oto got back to me immediately and helped me get straightened out before the gig. Great customer service there.

@virtual_flannel - I checked out your boiler room show, sick work! Quick question on the Biscuit, is the OP1 capable of controlling it when the Biscuit is in synth mode?

^ it has din midi, while the OP-1 has USB midi. It should work, but you’d need a midi interface.

After missing out on the last 200 finally found myself a Biscuit in UK (eBay) - it is the bees knees, I’m loving it and haven’t even tried the Der oto synth mode - I haven’t come across anything like it, really playable, if you get the chance grab one!

^ oh you bastard! :wink:

I must’ve missed that!

Usually go onto eBay once a week and check to see if there’s any biscuits about.

You might find some interesting prices here :
http://fr.audiofanzine.com/multieffet/oto/biscuit/petites-annonces/

You just have to register, then check "me notifier à chaque nouvelle annonce" and a message will be dropped in your mailbox as soon as someone is selling.

I wish there’d be an update on the Boum! I’m having a hard time suppressing gas for the Analog Heat, but I know I’d be happier with an OTO machine to warm up my sounds.

I still just have the Biscuit, but I’m close to pulling the trigger on a Bam from Perfect Circuit. I could see myself only ever needing the OTO boxes as far as effects go. My other pedals aren’t really that fun in comparison.

I miss my biscuit
:_(

Odd question for anyone that has both a Biscuit and a Bim or Bam… Is the Bim/Bam (knobs included) taller than the Biscuit?

I have a desk with slide-out keyboard tray where I stash most of my effects, and my Biscuit just fits by a millimeter or two. I’m in the market for a Bim and Bam and would like them to fit alongside the Biscuit if possible.

My BIM with knobs is a couple of millimetres higher than the Biscuit - you could take the rubber feet off it if it turned out to be a problem

Thanks for the quick reply, @houston! That’s good to know.

BAM is awesome. I’m still learning the BIM :o)

I sold more than a dozen stompboxes to raise funds for BAM and BIM (and an Empress Reverb) and I think now I’m where I wanted to be, as long as hw fx processors are concerned. Both are fantastic (even with a few small bugs yet to be fixed…) so I’m content. The BOUM will be joining the team, though that’ll be a few more months, at least that’s what I’m reading from the email Denis @ OTO Machines sent me earlier today. Also, if anyone’s interested/concerned: new firmware with bug fixes and new features for BIM and BAM may be expected around the end of this year.

That’s great news from Denis - thanks for sharing @jooga1972!

I haven’t noticed any bugs with Bim and Bam yet, but my Biscuit still freaks out a little bit every once in a while.