OTTO-Open Source Synth/Sampler

I kind of agree with @ludicrouSpeed and @vehka the tape and drum sampler are the best things about the OP1, and the tape manipulation on the OP1 is far more hands on than the Octatrack (which I also love) or any dedicated multitrack.

I find it a bit puzzling that how hands on the OP1 tape is is even being disputed, name any single other device that allows recording by hand spooling the tape for example. I can only guess that those guys never used an OP1. MV8800 and MPC1000 don’t have “tape” they have digital recording, but zero hand manipulation of the recording, hence not hands on in this regard.

Still the OTTO looks interesting in its own right, I can understand why they don’t want to recreate the OP1, but I was rather hoping that instead of “recreating“ it would take the OP1 concepts much further, tape and drum sampler included.

2 Likes

Kinda what I was hoping the opz would be. But it’s not quite that. At least not yet.

It’s open source so you could add a multi track tape with some work if you really wanted it. IMO the open source nature of this thing is really want sets it apart from almost everything else. I really want to see the hardware sell as well as the op-1 has.

Didn’t love the R16. What would u recommend between the h4n pro and h6?

What about the Tascam dr-44wl?

H4n pro. HANDS DOWN

2 Likes

I second that!

1 Like

I’m a little late to the party but I thought I’d share this. I came across this independent developer with his two cents on the OP-1 format of synths. A clone nonetheless, but a high functioning one. He has other videos on his updated iterations.

Prajwal Mahesh

2 Likes