Pattern metronome

Pretty sure this function doesn’t exist on OP but maybe I missed it, metronome in Pattern would be useful when sequencing patterns from scratch etc. Is there a workaround that doesn’t involve playing tape?

You can lay out a simple beat and turn on hold. After you get enough of your pattern in the grid you can remove the ‘metronome’ notes to free up more space. Other than that, you’re right, I think tape is the only way.

You can lay out a simple beat and turn on hold. After you get enough of your pattern in the grid you can remove the 'metronome' notes to free up more space. Other than that, you're right, I think tape is the only way.

Thanks. Yeah I thought to do that but seems like a vibe killer workaround. Guess it’ll do tho…

Pattern sequencing seems kinda clunky on OP so far. Maybe I just need to get used to it. Seems great for random stuff but not so much when you just want to bang something in or edit.

For live sequencer recording ,the op1 is a little lacking. Fingers clunky too. Most use Endless for linear ,pseudo live note entry via counting and >arrow shifts.
I would like a better live seq recorder .
Grid is good at jammin about with white,shift & white and green (latter when range is shortened to ,say, one beat).

Yeah across the different sequencers it seems like it’s a lot of counting/visualising and encoders twisting, not really how I thought OP would feel for sequencing. Surprised TE haven’t nailed something that feels less fiddly.

Metronome for live sequencing and possibly also something like -

Endless -
Enable editing of steps!

Pattern + Finger -
(for pseudo Elektron UI)

In patterns screens hold relevant key + hit button 1-8 to drop it in to related step within 8 step range in sequence. Repeat to delete a step.
Pattern + Octave buttons = slide the 8 step range within pattern fwd/bwd 8steps…

Obviously ‘hold’ function same as normal and the above also possible to do whilst pattern is playing if you’re on the pattern screen.

Just not a fan of twisting encoders to select, add, delete steps…would love to see something like the above input options added.

Also the option to extend to 64 Steps in Pattern would be so much better… Endless does 128, I can’t see the reason/sense for the limitation?

Also the option to extend to 64 Steps in Pattern would be so much better.... Endless does 128, I can't see the reason/sense for the limitation?

Pattern sequencer can potentially trig all the keys at the same time (+ there must be some voice stealing algorithm behind)

On Endless you’re limited from the moment you enter the notes.
Maybe that’s a big difference in terms of real-time computation…

@lyingdalai yeah I guess there’s a cpu trade-off between more steps/ability for editing. It’s not the end of the world :wink: Think I just need more time with them. They don’t feel like any sequencers I’ve used before in terms of UI outside ios, bit fiddly. Be fine once they feel more natural to me :wink:

TE like a simple UI .
I seen an interview were Jesper says the hardest thing was designing the thing to work with just 4 knobs.

@lyingdalai yeah I guess there's a cpu trade-off between more steps/ability for editing. It's not the end of the world ;) Think I just need more time with them. They don't feel like any sequencers I've used before in terms of UI outside ios, bit fiddly. Be fine once they feel more natural to me ;)

But I feel you, when one comes from Elektron it must be very hard to adapt.

See the sequencer as a mean to play many notes with one key : it’s a pain to enter the sequence, but then you can just play with the sequences very quickly.
I love to choke two Drums Finger sequences, monkeys are super cool for polyrhythms !
And I love to change the octave on Endless or Pattern, you radically change the sound.
Another funny trick I like to use with Pattern is to play back and forth, and reducing the grid to get 7/4 time signature…
My kids showed me how to use Tombola to get a shitload of notes and then isolate one… Like what they do with this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gyDBHaQEZc4

Anyway, it’s not Elektron sequencers, far far from it.
I feel like OP-1 sequencers are not really made for live hitting the sequence.

I

TE like a simple UI .
I seen an interview were Jesper says the hardest thing was designing the thing to work with just 4 knobs.

I’d say they totally nailed the simple UI thing in everything else on OP but the sequencers don’t feel quite as streamlined/instinctive. They’re great for use once you have your sequence nailed but inputting/editing steps, not so much… From responses it seems like it’s partly just a teething process tho, sure they’ll click (no pun intended…) for me after a while :wink:

@lyingdalai thanks for the insights dude :slight_smile: great video of your kids jamming! I’ll keep what you said in mind next session and try those little tricks out :slight_smile:

Lovely film @LyingDalai ,I think I shall try that game .
They make it sound lovely, while having loads of fun , which I guess sums up OP1.

Wait, on this video the OP-1 is only a controller for its cousin the Monomachine !

^^
But yes, they do love the OP-1 !!

I was wondering about that “preset” :slight_smile:
Wow kids getting hardcore with the audio routing.And through your studio monitors- nice.

Talk about randomizers !