Piano skills necessary to compose on OP1?

100% agree. I think my big goal here was to provide a “visual” blueprint on hand placement. I totally agree with the correct music theory naming. Definitely worth doing that revision to see if it gets too crowded. :slight_smile:

I look forward to seeing them! I appreciate your open-minded attitude!

I have pretty good piano skills. Certain chord shapes, however, take extra dexterity on the OP-1. For example, an Eb root position triad. Eb-G-Bb. If I were playing that on a regular piano, the G would be be played away from the key-tip, between the adjacent black keys. On the OP-1, however, it takes a lot of finger bending to make this chord happen.

When I first got my OP-1, I spent a lot of time playing with both hands on the keyboard. More recently, I have been playing primarily with my right hand and holding the unit, on my lap, in my left hand. I am completely smitten with the G (gravity) function of the Element LFO. On some patches, I set Gravity to the high-pass of the Nitro filter. On other patches, I set Gravity to adjust pitch. This has helped with both blending of voices and with creating more natural sounding melodies. Now that I’ve discovered the usefulness of the Gravity function, the idea of performing on a stationary table seems boring!

Also, after playing more with one hand, the two-handed position seems cramped and less ergonomic. When I only play with the right hand, I am pointing right edge end of the OP-1 more away from me, and this seems to produce a more natural hand position.

I would like to utilize the threaded holes in the back of the OP-1 and affix some kind of strap, either for slinging the unit over the shoulder or placing it over the left hand. I own a Yamaha SHS-500 “Sonogenic” keytar, and I spent a lot of time playing with the right hand in a conventional position and the left hand reaching over from the other side. I would like to see if the same thing is possible on the Op-1.

3 Likes

Updated version to be more music theory accurate. :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Thank you very much. It´s helping a lot on my music lessons!

1 Like

No, that’s a myth that the big record producers want you to believe. All they care about is image. Google “The fifth beatle” or sir George Martin for example. Kordbot looks great but you can learn all major and minor chords on a keyboard in a couple of days. Once you can derive them, inversions are easy.

You really owe it to yourself to learn keys. I was a guitarist, gave up for more than 10 years (I’m an old bugger) and now learning piano / music theory. I really regret not learning piano earlier. There are some great lessons to learn piano by chords, rather then the traditional boring way, much better for guitarists IMO

I had taught my daughter to play ukulele and then taught her how to derive every major/minor chord in a couple of days, once you have that the inversions are easy. You can see the music on keys unlike guitar, makes it so much easier.

I am going to plug Robin Halls pianoforall ebooks. It’s very crude (1 off payment for a bunch of ebooks that have embedded video) but teaches piano via rhythm and chords, it made sense in my mind as an ex guitarist and had me playing tunes within hours (not baa baa blacksheep but songs I knew)