Play OP-1 with an external keyboard without using a DAW

Hey guys,

Wanting to play the OP-1 but with bigger keys, was thinking of getting a midi keyboard to plug into the OP-1 but want to have the set up without using a DAW.

Does anyone know how I could do this? any recommendations on good midi keyboards?

Thanks!

I don’t have one, but many people on this forum recommend the Kenton USB MIDI host for doing exactly that. (search the forum for “Kenton” and you’ll see lots of tips)

As for what keyboard to get, there are so many options, I would think about 3 questions first to narrow it down:

1. Do you like to play “piano style” or “synth style”? Piano style == usually both hands, more chords, cover more octaves at once. Synth style == often only one hand, more melodies and bass lines, 1 or 2 octaves at a time, maybe some arpeggiator or sequencer patterns.

2. Do you want it to be portable? Or would you rather have more keys / features?

3. Do you want just keys or other midi controls (knobs, faders, pads)?

Think about those and it will help you pick the right keyboard.

@macfergus ah perfect thank you so much for your advice.

I will take a look at the kenton usb midi! As for the type of keyboard, something with more keys and midi controls, i have heard that the OP-1 can only play one octave at a time when connected to a midi? As i would like to play with a more piano style ( think james blake)

Thanks!
@macfergus ah perfect thank you so much for your advice.

I will take a look at the kenton usb midi! As for the type of keyboard, something with more keys and midi controls, i have heard that the OP-1 can only play one octave at a time when connected to a midi? As i would like to play with a more piano style ( think james blake)

Thanks!

One octave while the OP1 sequencer (endless, arp, finger etc) is running. As many as you like with it off.

@ollybiggins for me, 49-keys is the sweet spot for where two-handed playing is practical but it’s still easy to carry around. There are LOTS of good options these days and it’s highly subjective so if you have a chance to try a couple out in person you should do so.

But if you want specific suggestions, I think the M-Audio Oxygen series is great in terms of value for money:
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Oxygen-49

If you have a little more to spend I personally like Novation controllers, either Impulse or SL series:
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Impulse49
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/SLmk2-49

All 3 of those are also available in 61-key models if you want one more octave.

1 Like

Hi! I was wondering if I if you can help me with a couple of questions regarding the same issue. Do you think can be possible to connect a keyboard that just have an usb cable like this one CT-S300 | Casio Music Gear

And what kind of midi interface should the keyboard has? I’ve seen that some keyboards have both midi in and out while others just have midi out.

I would appreciate very much your help :clap:

raspberry pi does all these things, it doesn’t need a screen or keyboard and takes around 30 seconds to boot and can connect many devices, I have used a Korg R3 usb to rapberry pi with Raspberry Pi as USB/Bluetooth MIDI host on the SD card and it plays the OP-Z.