PO-12 rhythm set parameters on individual note

Hello, I just got a PO-12 and I love it to pieces, however there is one thing I do not understand. Is it possible to set an individual note/hit with specific knob parameters? I understand I can set parameters by starting “play”, then holding down “write”, then wiggling the knobs. This works fine if I want to set parameters for a run of notes or sweep across a series of parameters. However, if I want to set the parameters for only one note, this means I have to wait until right before the note starts, hold down “write” and move the knob, then let go of “write” before the next beat starts with perfect timing. Even at the slowest setting of 60BPM I cannot move that fast. One of the PO-12 presets plays a 16-note melody using the bass “sound” by setting the two parameters on it to different values every single note, and I don’t understand how it would be possible to input this pattern using the actual device.

Similarly when “play” is off I can explore parameters for individual "sound"s by pressing the button for a “sound” and then moving the knobs up and down. But once I find the perfect timbre, I cannot find a way to write that into the pattern. If I press “play” to start live record, the parameters I have set are overwritten by the parameters recorded into the pattern.

My partner has a “factory” PO-16 and on that one it is possible to edit parameters for individual notes by holding the appropriate number button in the sequence and moving the knobs. But the PO-12 does not seem to have this feature.

Anyone figured out how to solve this problem? The PO-12 has such a good range of sounds, it’s a real limitation to not be able to customize the one I want for any individual note!
1 Like

I’d have to check but I’m pretty sure you can hold the button corresponding to your sequence step (in write mode?) and adjust parameters for that individual step while you’re holding it. I’ll double check with my PO-12 and get back to you on that

I’m sorry, it seems I was wrong. The feature I was describing is available on the PO-20 but apparently not on the PO-12

(compare also section “Parameter Locking” in the guides)

While in play mode, adjust the sound to your liking, then hold the record button to record the sound in real-time. Rinse and repeat.

1 Like

The problem is adjusting the sound in play mode has no effect unless I’m holding the write button, and it only lingers on each note for 1/4 of a second or something so if I hold down “write”, I will not be able to select a particular note unless my timing is stellar.

What if you bring the BPM down to 60?

Edit: I see now you tried that already… :frowning:

The problem is adjusting the sound in play mode has no effect unless I'm holding the write button, and it only lingers on each note for 1/4 of a second or something so if I hold down "write", I will not be able to select a particular note unless my timing is stellar.

Sorry, I may have gotten the PO-12 and PO-32 mixed up in my thinking. The 32 makes it very easy to do this. As with all gear, sometimes you just have to embrace the limitations. Or start saving up for a PO-32 :slight_smile:

Thanks all!

I seem to remember some way of actually getting this to work.

If you adjust the settings to how you want them while the sequencer is stopped (with write mode disabled), then enter the steps in write mode (while still stopped) does that work?

I may be wrong though, as I don’t have the PO-12 anymore, and I also had a PO-20, so it may have been true for that instead.

I wish there was some kind of firmware update available to bring this simple feature to all PO’s. As others have said, the PO-20 supports this and it’s part of the reason of why that one is so versatile. The PO-12 (and -14, and probably -16) don’t support it.

If you adjust the settings to how you want them while the sequencer is stopped (with write mode disabled), then enter the steps in write mode (while still stopped) does that work?

On the PO12 it does - yes.

1 Like

Ohhh… yes, if I do it in EXACTLY this order, it works. And if when I enter write mode the final time I turn a note off and then back on, it overwrites the parameters for that note… perfect. Thanks so much!

1 Like