PO-33 KO owners - questions / observations

It’s why I dumped the PO. Poor quality control / cheap components.

Just get Koala Sampler and be done.

1 Like

Thank you, but I have already bought, so I´m trying to fix :slight_smile:

You can’t. Mine is on the trash pile, because I made the mistake of snapping off the plastic hanger tag (so it would fit in the case) before testing it out thoroughly. It had the same issues as yours. If it’s still under 30 days, I’d return it.

I bought it on Thomann (I will edit my posts becouse the forum doesn´t alow me to writte more than 3 messages :/)

Hopefully. Who did you buy it from?

i realize this isn’t possible for everyone
but if u desolder the pots and replace them with better ones
the jumping values goes away completely

i’ve done this to maybe atleast 6 POs maybe more
they are standard 9mm pots and the value doesn’t totally matter but like 10kB (linear) is a good one

3 Likes

Knobs from mouser too?

no i had to order those from roland parts department

they are the small knobs found on the roland boutique TR08 and TR09

1 Like

maybe it’s broken. I got the K.O. when first released & to this day it works fine (got it in a $15 case for protection). I fell in love with it so much it got me to buy the Op-1.

It’s $89 brand new. Smaller than my hand, samples thru an input or mic, auto chop, pitch, goes chromatic, has a filter, has f*%$ing song mode! Plus 15 effects? crazy to me.

But I guess if you get a broken 1 it’s a waste of $89 if you can’t return it.

I heard resetting it can help with the jumpy encoders, maybe try that.

A very late thanks :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi, I have my ko33 for a wile and i noticed that if i use all sample time (full/0 sample time) and back up the project when i try to restore the project to ko33 i get an error every time. Whether I am doing something wrong or there is a reason why it is so. Do you know about this occurrence and can it be solved somehow?

1 Like

make sure you’re backing up your project as a stereo file
this is a great vid on how to do it.https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwjR59v22v_1AhVHTjABHdPoAVsQwqsBegQIAhAB&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DH_vWZke0EaQ&usg=AOvVaw3lU3hOqkSRL-r1qkp6aQUd

3 Likes

Thanks for the effort but this video unfortunately was not helpful to me as it is not my problem and observation. So I use stereo cable, zoom h6 recorder and record beck up in stereo, wave format (44.1khz, 16bit) but when I reach zero sample time on my po33 and do back up every time I try to return project I get error. Just to note I have po33 over 2 years and I have done a lot of successful back up projects. This seems to be the first time I’ve spent all my sample time… :sweat_smile: I wonder if you have that appearance? or is it just an isolated case on my po33 (I doubt the lack of memory) P.S. try to do a test, record anything until you run out of sample time then do a back up and try to get the project back. Let me know how it went, thanks in advance, peace :v::vulcan_salute:

It can be a bit tricky, according to the PO 33 guide, this is what they advise:

to verify that all data was saved and restored correctly you may want to use a secondary PO-33 unit for verification to avoid erasing the original content.

But I understand that not everyone wants to spend the money on another PO 33, in my case I use a Behringer UCA 202 card to record the backups. In the case of recording on a computer, sometimes I have managed to get it to work, sometimes not, but using my mobile phone with this audio card is how it works best, and it also depends on the app to record the audio, some work and others give problems.

Another thing I would try is to use a new set of batteries, or from another brand, some battery brands generate noise in my PO-33, maybe that can also affect when making a backup.

Interestingly :thinking: at the time I used the duracell brand but the other day new panasonic enveloop rechargeable batteries arrived. I’ll try again with the new batteries and let you know how it went.

same appearance with new batteries. :frowning:

It may be a SW bug. The best is to get someone else to test the same scenario, i.e., backup and restore in a sample full condition. Unfortunately I don’t have a PO-33 to help here.

1 Like

As I said, backups of PO 33 can be a bit tricky, the density of information is much higher than with PO 32 and you need a cleaner capture
I had to do a lot of testing until I found a combination that it worked as I explained before, even using the same capture device (the behringer uca 202), on my mobile it works and on my computer it fails a lot, I would try to record it on different devices, different configurations…
And to confirm what Punji says, I can help you testing some backups, I have the original PO and the Street Fighter version

2 Likes

Thought about updating this thread.

Just got my PO-33 KO today. Brand new, from TE’s stock.
And…the build-in mic is shot. Can’t get anything to record. Sampling remaining time is working as advertised (counting down when recording), but once any sample is recorded, I only get some weird, stuttery white-noisy sound. Tried different batteries, tried resetting the unit, tried various buttons combos, to no aveil.
Line-in works good, tho.
But the unit is clearly a dud. Contacted TE’s support right away.
Just be aware that hardware failures out of the box are still a thing on the PO-33 units.

I think you’re thinking of the step multiplier. To do that, press and hold on a step of a drumb sound with write mode active and press BPM. Hope that helps.