PO-33 KO owners - questions / observations

i’ve just discovered a thing and that thing ruined one of my K.O! backups. i believe that the thing is worth being aware of, at least.

the story is: i got some sounds sampled into 2 empty melodic slots and 1 empty drum slot. po-33 was factory fresh meaning i didn’t zap those factory default sounds. then i made a few patterns and performed a backup (which lasts around 4 minutes on my recorder). now, on trying to restore from that backup my po-33 runs out of memory saying ERR somewhere around slot (button) number 12.

i did know that (most of?) those factory sounds aren’t really samples, but rather a tricky synth engine product which occupies way less space on the device compared to real sound samples. what i didn’t know is those factory sounds get into backup as real (sampled) sounds and restore as real (sampled) sounds and in the end of going through backup and restore they occupy almost all of the 40 available seconds just on their own.

so: be extra sure you get rid of all those factory sounds before performing a backup (or at least zap all you don’t use in your project). and keep in mind that if you have at least one factory sound in your backup you might not be able to fit all of your backup’ samples back into memory.

happy samplin!
2 Likes

i’ve just discovered a thing and that thing ruined one of my K.O! backups. i believe that the thing is worth being aware of, at least.

the story is: i got some sounds sampled into 2 empty melodic slots and 1 empty drum slot. po-33 was factory fresh meaning i didn’t zap those factory default sounds. then i made a few patterns and performed a backup (which lasts around 4 minutes on my recorder). now, on trying to restore from that backup my po-33 runs out of memory saying ERR somewhere around slot (button) number 12.

i did know that (most of?) those factory sounds aren’t really samples, but rather a tricky synth engine product which occupies way less space on the device compared to real sound samples. what i didn’t know is those factory sounds get into backup as real (sampled) sounds and restore as real (sampled) sounds and in the end of going through backup and restore they occupy almost all of the 40 available seconds just on their own.

so: be extra sure you get rid of all those factory sounds before performing a backup (or at least zap all you don’t use in your project). and keep in mind that if you have at least one factory sound in your backup you might not be able to fit all of your backup’ samples back into memory.

happy samplin!

That’s weird. I did a backup with the original sounds AND new sounds and it worked perfectly fine! (The backup was around 3 minutes)

1 Like
i've just discovered a thing and that thing ruined one of my K.O! backups. i believe that the thing is worth being aware of, at least.

the story is: i got some sounds sampled into 2 empty melodic slots and 1 empty drum slot. po-33 was factory fresh meaning i didn't zap those factory default sounds. then i made a few patterns and performed a backup (which lasts around 4 minutes on my recorder). now, on trying to restore from that backup my po-33 runs out of memory saying ERR somewhere around slot (button) number 12.

i did know that (most of?) those factory sounds aren't really samples, but rather a tricky synth engine product which occupies way less space on the device compared to real sound samples. what i didn't know is those factory sounds get into backup as real (sampled) sounds and restore as real (sampled) sounds and in the end of going through backup and restore they occupy almost all of the 40 available seconds just on their own.

so: be extra sure you get rid of all those factory sounds before performing a backup (or at least zap all you don't use in your project). and keep in mind that if you have at least one factory sound in your backup you might not be able to fit all of your backup' samples back into memory.

happy samplin!

I had that same issue. what i did to ‘fix’ my backup that i copied individual slices from the factory kits that i liked, into a new drum slot. 4 factory drums -> 1 new drum slot (taking only parts that i want). I can delete the factory kits, and end up with ~32 seconds left.

2 Likes
That's weird. I did a backup with the original sounds AND new sounds and it worked perfectly fine! (The backup was around 3 minutes)

in my case i think i had too much time occupied by my samples - K.O! said there were 2 or 4 seconds left, i don’t remember exactly.

I had that same issue. what i did to ‘fix’ my backup that i copied individual slices from the factory kits that i liked, into a new drum slot. 4 factory drums -> 1 new drum slot (taking only parts that i want). I can delete the factory kits, and end up with ~32 seconds left.

i lost the drum slot sample and not sure if it would be possible to bring it back by just cutting off a (hopefully factory sounds) piece in a wave editor. there should be some kind of markers in the wave, but i hardly think i can determine those just by examining the waveform. and i don’t see any other way to get the samples back - the original project is now lost and the only thing left is that 4 minute backup.

1 Like

I had to make a new backup. I still have a backup with the problem you have. When sending that to the po33 my backup is partially intact. All patterns are there, some sounds are not

1 Like

The pots on my KO definitely seem a bit messed up. Hard reset helped certain issues, but there seems to be something mechanical jumpy going on as well

1 Like

Hi all. Just got my 33 today. Very, very cool.

Two niggles.

The pot sensitivity is tricky, especially trimming samples, setting pitch.

Only 16th notes?

I hear there’s a note repeat function not in the instructions. Anyone know how that works?

Thinking I may be able to add 32 note kicks with it.

Any help appreciated.

1 Like

@PO33MO for retrig hold the step you want to repeat and press the bpm button to cycle through the options (2,3,4 etc). Note that it ONLY works on the “drum” slots (sounds 9-16)

3 Likes

Cheers @sammyjams

OK I’m probably being a bit slow here.

What do you mean by Step?

I only seem to be able to change the BPM or the volume with the BPM button?

1 Like

When write mode is active (see the circle inside a square graphic on screen) any of the 16 buttons (steps) that contain a note should be lit up. Press and HOLD one that has a note and press bpm while holding.

1 Like

@sammyjams

Got it, many thanks.

That’s cool.

Not gonna help my issue of adding individual 32 notes.

Odd to me it doesn’t allow this (obviously not in step mode) but in live recording.

It can obviously do it as it does it in the note repeat function as described above.

Probably gonna have to chop sampled drums differently (larger chops) to get the feel I’m after.

Could there be software updates for the 33? Is that possible via audio input?

1 Like

@PO33MO Don’t expect there to ever be software updates for the POs. It would most likely require special flashing hardware unless they started wanting it to be upgradeable. But based on how often they release upgrades for the OP-1, I would imagine they are happy to never have to upgrade the POs.

1 Like

got mine today, these are just insane for the size !

2 Likes

@gcf OK that makes sense.

So are all PO’s only 16th notes?

If so I’m really surprised by this, as can’t add ghost notes (issue for me).

1 Like

Yeah, 16th notes only, unless you use the retrig mode.

If you want 32nd notes, use double BPM and chain your patterns.
3 Likes

32nd note repeat effect can also be achieved by FX#3.

1 Like

How is the battery usage at rest? does it drain as fast as the PO-10s and PO20s?

1 Like

I’ve had mine since a weekish after release with cheap AAA’s and battery says 98% left. That’s with average play time and lot of rest.

1 Like

Got mine today.
what’s the case like? does it cover the microphone?

1 Like

@audiojack the case has a teeny tiny hole for the mic

1 Like