PO 35 Speak major scale doesn't sound right

Hi Guys, I was wondering if anyone could tell me if I’m doing something wrong. When I select a major scale, the last two notes sound flat. For example if I pick C Major, playing up the scale left to right with button 5 defaulted as the Root (c), 6 (d), 7 (e), 8 (f), 1 (g), 2 (a)… BUT 3 and 4 are flat (out of key). So the scale sounds like: c,d,e,f,g,a,ab,b (or something like that) instead of c,d,e,f,g,a,b,c. The exact same thing happens if I start an octave lower with buttons 13, 14, 15, 16, 9, 10 … 12 and 13 sound flat. Thoughts? I tried factory reset and that didn’t help. Thanks!

1 Like

I don’t know the POs, but are you sure that you’re starting with C?

Pretty sure.

1 Like

It sounds exactly as you describe on my unit as well. Will try tomorrow with the PO-137 as well to check if there is any difference there

1 Like

I found out from another forum that in order to keep the scale within the physical 8 buttons on the grid and to be able to continue the scale in the next octave on the first button of the next 8 note grid, they add an additional note on the 7th button (buttons 3 and 11) which completely threw me off. Why there is absolutely no disclaimer of this anywhere is beyond me.

So, if you choose, say, C Major for example, button 5 is the root C, 6 D, 7 E, 8 F, 1 G, 2 A, 3 (A#/Bb?!), 4 B. Same for 13-16, 9-12 (with 11 being A#/Bb?!). Ugh.

I just made the test using sound 5 from PO-35 factory sound (“Vámonos”, which means “let’s go” in Spanish) on itself and PO-137, and it seems completely normal

The tuner shows C-D-E-F-G-A-A#-B on the expected positions (C is button 5 and 13) so you have two octaves

Indeed, the choice of A# is quite weird, since the PO-28 has G# instead. This gives it the ability to use both C major as well as A harmonic minor. The palette is much wider here, though

1 Like

harmonic minor is a very usefully useful scale to have ! i didn’t know that about Pocket Operator-28 :+1:

1 Like