PO > Ableton time drift?

Hey All,

Probably doing something silly here, but running into an annoying little problem.

I am running PO-20 (SYN1) -> PO-28 (SYN4) -> cheapo little USB audio interface dongle -> Ableton Live 9.

All works well at first, but over time when live playing on the Robot, there is a very noticeable delay that gets worse and worse. Say after 30 minutes, it becomes hard to play on time.

If I quit Ableton and re-open it, the problem goes away for a while then comes back.

I’m guessing if I took sync in from Ableton and used it as the master sync source, it would fix this problem? Seems weird clock stuff enters into the mix, as it’s just pure audio in. But, is this some kind of clock drift?

Thanks for any ideas!

-Ian

That’s strange, from my experience they are able to have a pretty stable synchronization between them

I wonder, how do you sync Ableton as slave to the PO units? I have done it the other way around by sampling the click from the PO and it works fine

I wonder, how do you sync Ableton as slave to the PO units? I have done it the other way around by sampling the click from the PO and it works fine

I think that’s the thing, I’m not doing any kind of syncing with Ableton, I am just doing raw input. But you wouldn’t think it would matter, since it’s just raw audio right? Especially since I am just playing freestyle from the robot, I’m not hitting play and letting a sequence cycle through.

But maybe I should just do the sync thing anyway?

Mostly I just wanted to make sure this isn’t some kind of known issues with the POs. For all I know it’s this cheapo USB audio in dongle I’m using with my Macbook to get audio in.

if you’re not syncing the po’s to ableton at all, and you’re noticing a lag in the audio response, like hitting a button, then after sometime you are hearing the sound, definitely sounds like an audio issue. does your macbook have a built in audio input? does the same thing happen if u use that instead? or if u have another audio interface u try or a friends u could borrow real quick?

maybe mess around w/ the audio settings in live?

Okay that makes sense. Unfortunately I don’t have a built-in input on my macbook pro (they eliminated it a model or two back), I do have a very nice Focusrite interface hooked up to another computer in the house I should test with, so I’ll do that.

I’m using this crazy cheap and tiny usb dongle for input, which is nice because I can very easily take the robot and arcade to a coffee shop with my laptop and mess around. But at $6, it’s not shocking that it could be the problem here :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

That might be simply the latency settings, you can easily reduce its value in Preferences/Latency/Buffer Size