PO-SYNC stereo?

Hi folks,

I don’t own an OP-1 so I hope one of you can help me out here. I’d like to know, if it is possible to have the OP-1 running in sync mode with a PO, while splitting the signal (click / mono sound from OP-1), so only the click is send from OP to PO …and then finally take the output from the PO and rewire it to the audio-in of the OP-1. To achieve the final goal of having all 4 OP tracks plus the sound from PO recorded to album at the same time?
Or is it not possible to record the input while playing back the tape tracks to the album.
Hopefully this is not too confusing.

Thanks for your help, and have fun making music.

would the result of this be in stereo on the album? if the tape tracks were panned in the mixer of course

Hmmm, this is an interesting question. I don’t know the answer, but I when I get home I’m going to experiment with my OP-1 and a PO to find out. I’ll report back once I’ve concluded my research…

Hmmm, this is an interesting question. I don't know the answer, but I when I get home I'm going to experiment with my OP-1 and a PO to find out. I'll report back once I've concluded my research...

cheers, looking forward to find out!

I had a go at this last night and you can indeed send a sync a PO, then have the audio come back in and record that along with the tape tracks to the album. However, the album recording isn’t stereo and in fact has the sync click recorded on the left side and the music on the right unfortunately.

@michaeljrocks Did you choose sync mode SY2? With that mode the sync signal is not available at the PO output.

I had a go at this last night and you can indeed send a sync a PO, then have the audio come back in and record that along with the tape tracks to the album. However, the album recording isn't stereo and in fact has the sync click recorded on the left side and the music on the right unfortunately.

Thanks for trying it out!

I am a little confused about the click being recorded. Shouldn’t the PO send out only the audio if set to SY2?
Does this mean, you can either record the audio-in to album or the tape tracks to album but not both at the same time?
cheers again
Sorry for the confusion, I'll try to explain a little better.

You can record the the tape and the audio-in to the album at the same time, the only problem is that if you turn on 'PO Sync' mode the album will also record the click on one side and a mono mix on the other. The click recorded is from the OP-1 not the PO because, as you say, SY2 doesn't even send one. I think the album must record the final output from the machine (after the mixer and compressor etc), but the summing to mono and adding of the 'PO sync' click must happen before that, therefore the album records the click. So even if you take the PO out of the equation all together, when 'PO sync' mode is active the album will record clicks on the left and music to the right.

I hope that makes sense.

Thanks,

Very well explained. Too bad, they chained it this way…

…hope this can be fixed in a future update…as I am thinking of getting an OP but I am also fond of using my PO-32.

Yeah, this disappointed me too. When you suggested it as an idea my immediate thought was ‘fuck yeah, I hope that works’ because I also love my PO-32 so to be able to record a track in stereo with both machines and nothing else would be great. Unfortunately we’re stuck with having to do this in mono at the moment. :frowning:

What about taking a stereo to mono splitter and only using the click out of the OP-1. Then feeding back there will be no OP-1 mix included.

I have been working on some PO and OP1 sync adapters that might prove useful here, I have ordered the proto boards so they will be here in a couple of weeks, I will post details of them once I confirm they work properly. Basically there are 2 products, the first of which will allow the OP1 sync to be broken out easily and the audio pass through to be dual mono if desired (handy for going into a stereo mixer, so that mono audio will appear at both speakers) The second is a breakout for PO sync so that they can be daisy chained but with the audio for each available separately.

Nice !

I have been working on some PO and OP1 sync adapters that might prove useful here, I have ordered the proto boards so they will be here in a couple of weeks, I will post details of them once I confirm they work properly. Basically there are 2 products, the first of which will allow the OP1 sync to be broken out easily and the audio pass through to be dual mono if desired (handy for going into a stereo mixer, so that mono audio will appear at both speakers) The second is a breakout for PO sync so that they can be daisy chained but with the audio for each available separately.

Sounds great @darenager! Interested in both of them. =)

this is exactly what I do with this... hum… cable mess. Definitely interested.