Polyrhythms on the op-1

Hey,

I know this might be very obvious but I’m going to share this method anyways.
If you’d like to achieve some polyrhythmic action on the op-1 it actually is possible eventhough the only Tupper ratio in the sequencers are triplets.
First you’ll need to record a drum track with your first pattern, take 1 bar of sixteenth notes for example. Now if you want to have a 4:5 polyrythm all you need to do is to divide your original BPM by the tuplet you want to add.
So if our original BPM is 90 we’ll end up with 18.
Now we add this number to our original tempo and when playing back the sequence again you should have achieved polyrhythm magic.
Enjoy!

10 Likes

This is sooo cool! Thanks

You’re welcome!

Is this with Endless or another sequencer?

It can be done with any sequencer that plays to the metronome, so no tombola. I found that it works best with endless though

1 Like

Pattern sequencer could be used for achieving polyrhythms as well. For example by first recording a sequence. Then erase it, make a new one and set the pattern length one (two, three…) sixteen notes shorter.

@janglesoul This does not create a polyrhythm. This creates a polymeter. While the rhythm will be “alive” because the accents in the resulting sequence will keep drifting as the second sequence loops in a different moment than the first, you 16th notes will still align with the first sequence’s 16th notes.
Polymeter vs Polyrhythm https://music.stackexchange.com/questions/10488/polymeter-vs-polyrhythm

3 Likes

Ah, thank’s for correcting me. Lots to learn!