Possible to sync to & record into OP-1 simultaneously?

I would like to know if it is possible to sync a pocket operator and an op-1 and also record audio from both into album mode on the op-1.

Seems like I would have two things that need to plug in to the op-1’s red input: the sync out to clock the PO and the audio coming back in from the PO.

(EDIT: should be the line out, not the line in of course)

Is there a creative cabling solution that can make this possible?

Not tried this but I’m thinking it possible to sync PO with OP and record back… Use a Y-type splitter from output of OP-1 . it splitts a stereo 1/8 inch to a pair of mono 1/8 inch.feed moniter/mixer/comp with one and sync on PO with other.
Then output PO back to OP with standard cable.

1 Like

^ ya thats how i would do it.

EDIT: this was confusing. Removing this part so as not to complicate things for anyone reading thread in the future. :slight_smile:

After some more thinking, testing and emails back and forth with TE, I see the error of my ways now.

First off I realize now that sync out comes from line out / headphones on op-1, which creates a problem (how do you monitor properly).

Rather than complicating things I think I will just record my PO’s to OP-1 tape w/ out any sync clock.

Oplab seems like it would make this all work pretty nicely… wish that wasn’t discontinued and rare!

1 Like

Hello, sorry for the dumb question: so the point here is that is possible to use the op-1 only as a master in syncing with po’s not as a slave?

what a pity! (for a lot of reasons, one is that po ouptut volume is pretty low, or at least my brand new po-32 is very low!)
1 Like

@discufuturissimo my Tonic runs pretty hot. Stupid question maybe but are you sure you turned up the volume after connecting a cable to the output?

You can send a click from any DAW to the PO and sync it with the OP-1, in this way you will have L+R on both the OP-1 and the PO

re midi and sync - i’ve had issues with midi clock drift with op1 receiving, which causes the op1 to realign its markers even while you mark loop areas. with being master, the op1 has its own drift issues I think. Click sync and from a stable generator might be a far better bet - doesn’t have to travel down usb chipsets and cables. though it’s still possible to use e.g. sequencers and the built in synths and maybe fx.

re midi and sync - i've had issues with midi clock drift with op1 receiving, which causes the op1 to realign its markers even while you mark loop areas. with being master, the op1 has its own drift issues I think. Click sync and from a stable generator might be a far better bet - doesn't have to travel down usb chipsets and cables. though it's still possible to use e.g. sequencers and the built in synths and maybe fx.

Yes I’ve had the OP-1 drifting problem as well. You can use it as master, and send the click sequenced on Live or any other DAW which will be used as slave. Simply record the original PO click and send it sequenced as hot as you can on an individual output and you’re good to go

Kinda late to the meeting, but don’t mind me jumping in!

I’m trying to record some PO35 patterns, in sync, onto the op1F tape.
I tried the following set-up, based on the manual :

• connect a TE 3.5 stereo aux cable from the op1F output to the PO line-in
  • connect a TE 3.5 stereo aux cable from the PO line-out into the op1F line-in.
  • set the PO to sync4
  • set the op1F to PO sync (link mode in red)
  • press play on the PO (it flashes, paused, ready to go)
  • arm the op1F tape and press play to record the PO to tape.

But when I stop recording and playback, I always run into various issues. Ranging from a weird phasing sound on the whole take, all the way to some horrendous noise (similar to a very very short loop playing non-stop). I can’t, for the life of me, figure out a way to do this.

Since this is TE’s ecosystem, I’m guessing that either a) I’m missing something obvious af or b) it’s not possible at all.
I’m leaning towards the b) option. I mean, who designs the OB-4 looper and not include a way to export the loops?

But I might be missing something since, IMHO, the whole point of the POs series is to, ultimately, use them as stand-alone sketchpad and/or pocket sized synths.

Thanks for you replies, guys.

Aha, I think these are the issue. You want the link mode in green (brown? on the field), not red, and you want SY2 instead of SY4.

1 Like

I’ll try this first thing in the morning.
I knew I was missing something probably simple af

You saved the day, my man.

Tried it. Worked like a freakin’ charm.

I just bought MicroTonic to try that Planetarium feature and craft some all-duties presets. Boy, oh boy, am I in for a treat. 30 minutes of fiddling landed me an ambient track and a techno one.

Thanks a lot.
SY2 and brown link. Duely note, my general!

1 Like