POTT - Pocket Operators Trick Tips

I’ve got some questions via Youtube regarding the bass/synth melodies on the PO-12… so I thought it would be a good idea to fire up this thread. Sharing is caring :slight_smile:

How to get some melody out of this little guy?

step 1. You can tweak the sound if the PO doesn’t play and if “write” is off…
step 2. Tweak the bleep to the right pitch.
step 3. Then you press play, put “write” on and put in the desired note in the sequence.

Then repeat these steps to get those melodies flowing…

If you got the melody… go to a party, disconnect the audiojack from the currently playing laptop/phone… Connect it to your PO-12 and voilá: instant party fun!

Nice tread! I will definitely add some tricks to the party when I get my beloved PO:s :smiley:

so obviously most of us don’t have our yet, but i was wondering. looked at the manual for the po-12 and didn’t see any mention of how to save/load patterns or even turn the thing on/off. is it just always on once the batteries are in? does taking the battery out delete all patterns? i’ll admit i didn’t read the thing cover to cover…

@drybones the manual explains pattern saving. it doesnt explain how the batteries affect saved patterns or on/off though.

@drybones To check I’ve removed the batteries for an hour… and the patterns stay saved.

@moedars Is it polyphonic, i.e, can you store more than one sound in the same step?

@drybones To check I’ve removed the batteries for an hour… and the patterns stay saved.

awesome

@moedars Is it polyphonic, i.e, can you store more than one sound in the same step?

Unfortunately not on the PO-12… only one sound per step, but I think it gives it some charm because of this… Struggling hard to get some melodies :slight_smile:

1 Like

@moedars Just to clarify, you mean it is not polyphonic nor multi-timbral, i.e., it is not possible to add two neither equal nor different (from the 16 available) sounds at the same step?

Here is a neat trick. PO-14 and im assuming the PO-16 are locked to the Key of C. Effect 15 jumps the current note value up a semitone. using that effect its possible to get alternate Keys going. and just by jaming with that one effect you can get alot of interesting things going!

@punji aah no, you can put multiple different sounds on one step…

@masterofstuff124’s PISSED.

:slight_smile:

THe PO-s are rich in functionality. For instance “live Looping” is possible. Have one pattern going. while its playing. copy and paste it to several other slots. Edit the copies. Pattern chain them into songs all while editing and jamming along with it. It is extremely fluid.

I jammed with a piano player. We stuck to C. if you leave the sequencer running(while blank) and record some automation(plocks) it affects the live playing. essentially you can draw in your own LFO’s. side note- If you record pitch up or down you get two more octaves of useable keyboard!

also just had my second PO-crash. i have to pull out the batteries to get it going again.

also just had my second PO-crash. i have to pull out the batteries to get it going again.

Are you able to reproduce the crash? This is very bad news considering the devices are not easily updatable.

I recall reading that they self-power down/sleep when not used for a bit.

And… crashing. Wow. Didn’t they say it took them so long because they wanted to make sure it was as perfect as they could make it since they weren’t designed to be updated? Is it possible you have a bad unit @masterofstuff124? Not that they could ship you a replacement any time soon =/

it seemed caused by excess. randomly punching in styles and effects trying to glitch it into glitchyness. i dont think its a huge issue. but it does exist. and it has happened to me twice…

honestly, kind of cool they can be overwhelmed like that lol…

These POs sound very great, not as lo-fi as I thought :slight_smile:
Pleasant surprise.

So first trick I learned on Rythm :
Note +bpm = retrig, that’s so good
But bpm + note = instant volume up = ear damage !
How stupid is that, when Func + key is unused ?
Plus it would have been consistent with the factory and the sub, like Key oo + key for styles…

So the trick is to be VERY careful with the retrig… Or retrig only the 3 first keys ^^