Questions before buying...

Hi folks,

So I’m still on the fence of buying the OP-1…vs MPC 2500. (I know both are very different) Sampling is most important to me.
And I got some more questions about its capabilities, which are:

1. How do samples get chopped in the drumsampler. I mean does it look for transients, or does it slice in equal parts on all keys?

2. Can you exchange one sound in a drumprogram with another sound, or can you only change the whole program? I’m asking because I’d like the ability to make a complete kit on the go vs having to sample 12 perfect seconds of drum sounds.

3. How usable is the synth-sampler, can you crossfade when looping the sample? (Any special tipps and tricks that throw me over the fence are appreciated)

4. How do you get around the mono-sampling limitation?

Thanks for reading and helping!

I will let other people who use drum sampling more than I answer most of these, but there is an annoying limitation on looping synth samples you have to know: they don’t loop during decay of the envelope. So if your sample is very short and your decay is very long, it will just cut off. I still have a hope this might be fixed in a future update, since a lot of people complained about it (and it stops us from doing faux-granular stuff), but that’s just me hoping.

The interesting part of OP-1 samplers is how they interact with Tape, sequences and LFOs. Lots and lots of possibilities. Most of them still probably unexplored.

You can, for example, reverse playback or change start or end looping points with an LFO. This by itself gives you a variety of interesting effects depending in which LFO you use. You can do a very glitchy time-stretching, fake delay, or randomize pattern playback this way, or a bunch of other things.

You can run Tape in a tight loop and record the same sample over it multiple times, or copy-paste them with a slight offset, or manually change tape speed during recording.

You can trigger multiple long-running samples with Endless sequencer and they will be pitched to the key you’re pressing. Record 12 seconds of humming and got yourself a choir.

Etc. Not very useful for beats, but interesting for synthesis/experimental tracks.

the first time u sample into drum. it will chop your whole sample up into 16 equal slices on the first 16 keys.

then it will chop your whole sample up again into 8 equal slices this time and place them on the last 8 keys for a total of 24.

u can then adjust the start, end, etc of each slice.

i know u can lift+drop slices within a drum patch.
i believe u can lift+drop to other drum patches but i’m not totally sure.
just going off the top of the dome.
the first time u sample into drum. it will chop your whole sample up into 16 equal slices on the first 16 keys.
then it will chop your whole sample up again into 8 equal slices this time and place them on the last 8 keys for a total of 24. I didn't know this! Good to know.

@Gambler nice ideas I’ll remember them for when I finally have my OP

then it will chop your whole sample up again into 8 equal slices this time and place them on the last 8 keys for a total of 24.

u can then adjust the start, end, etc of each slice.

i know u can lift+drop slices within a drum patch.
i believe u can lift+drop to other drum patches but i’m not totally sure.
just going off the top of the dome.

okay…wekk if this works with other drumpatches too I’d be very happy. As this would allow you to slowly build up a nice drumpreset.

You should check out the OP-1 Drum utility. Lets you drop in samples from your computer and whips it into a nice .aif file for the drum sampler.

https://splice.com/plugins/26589-op-1-drum-utility-vst-au-by-xfer-records
You should check out the OP-1 Drum utility. Lets you drop in samples from your computer and whips it into a nice .aif file for the drum sampler.

Cheers,

Already checked it! It seems nice, but I’m still interested if it is possible to lift+drop to another drumpatch slot. Do you know?
I like standalone stuff…as little computer as possible :slight_smile:

Cheers,

Already checked it! It seems nice, but I’m still interested if it is possible to lift+drop to another drumpatch slot. Do you know?

Yup, you can lift+drop an entire drum patch or just each slice. Also you can lift+drop from the tape into the drum sampler.

Cheers,

Yup, you can lift+drop an entire drum patch or just each slice. Also you can lift+drop from the tape into the drum sampler.

sounds great…just what I needed to hear. Now I ‘‘just’’ gotta get 100.000¥ …