Ranking the Pocket Operators.

the robot can loop three seperate tracks? wuhtwuht. that sounds awesome.

Nope - I think @docshermsticks means:

- Sequenced drums
- Sequenced melody
- Live lead

CB
1 Like

^ yea thats what i mean. its nice u can choose two different sounds. 1 for sequencer, and then 1 for playing over it.

get a lil multi bar pattern going and then jam on top of that w/ a different sound w/ some drums? ayyyyy

the robot drums compliment nicely too. got some real nice snares on it. SPLASSHHHH. i think they call them CYM1, CYM2ā€¦they sound like snares to me. beautiful snares

I had ordered both the PO-20 Arcade and PO-28 Robot from Cheap Monday with the 30% off and free shipping deal. The Arcade was fine and Iā€™ve been using for the last week or so, however, the Robot arrived with a slightly dead feeling (unclicky) no.8 button so I sent it straight back and then had to hassle Cheap Monday (not easy) into short-circuiting their ridiculous 21-day returns cycle to send me a replacement. What a PITA that was.

So I just spent my first session with the PO-28 Robot tonight. Really loving it. Some lovely sounds. And great when you get the hang of the expression key.

Iā€™ve had the PO-12 Rhythm for quite some time and really love it as a drum machine a) to back my electronic recordings and b) to use as an aid for disciplined bass guitar practice. It feels like a more ā€˜completeā€™ package due to not having the constraints of pre-programmed chords or scales.

However, as tools for creative inspiration, and for being just, well, addictive to play - for me the PO-20 and PO-28 would be very hard to beat - by any musical instrument! lol

Therefore Iā€™d probably rank them as follows:
1. PO-20 Arcade
2. PO-28 Robot
3. PO-12 Rhythm

CB

@cloudburst i also use the po12 as an ā€œadvanced metronomeā€ for practicing!

If the decision were mine alone, Iā€™d use the PO-12 to replace the drummer from our band, without hesitation.

CB
If the decision were mine alone, I'd use the PO-12 to replace the drummer from our band, without hesitation.

Thatā€™s exactly what this band did!

The poor mom.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1vX7qGMKI9g

there he is! pepe othello! the hardest working man in the textile industry lol

Loving the Robot. Used it tonight to create a solo for the middle eight of my track ā€œStop Playing Gamesā€ which is otherwise all done with the Arcade.

Here it isā€¦

CB

https://soundcloud.com/drinking-bird-experiment/stop-playing-games

@cloudburst Love your PO songā€¦ nice band you have!

I guess since I only have two (recently purchased) operators, itā€™s kind of tough to rank them. PO-20 wins for standalone fun and PO-12 wins for integrating with other instruments.

I want a third operator now, and Iā€™m trying to decide between PO-16 and PO-28. Leaning toward the Factory, as I donā€™t want to invest too heavily in chip tune sounds.

Who am I kidding, I want them all.

Thanks @punji. Our female singer is very supportive of my electronic departures, however, the guitarist and especially the drummer are much less so. When I put this latest track online, our PO-12 Understudyā€™s response was ā€œWTFā€.

CB
Thanks @punji. Our female singer is very supportive of my electronic departures, however, the guitarist and especially the drummer are much less so. When I put this latest track online, our PO-12 Understudy's response was "WTF".

CB

With that sort of attitudeā€¦ why donā€™t you replace your understudy with the Office?

@cloudburst Maybe you should put some POs or Volcas in the hands of your matesā€¦

A band is precious, you know it once you loose it. Well, if the other people are worth it, at least.
I would advise to take care not to introduce too heavy perturbations.

Thatā€™s a good point well made. The band frustrates the hell out of me at times. But youā€™re right - itā€™s a precious thing.

Perhaps my best course of action would be to rebrand my electronic stuff.

Thanks!

CB

A question for those with TE casesā€¦ did you notice a difference between the older series 10 cases and the newer series 20 cases?

I just got a case for my Arcade and itā€™s greatly improved over that of my Rhythm. The buttons are more tactile, and the LEDs are more visible. The writing at the top even looks nicer. Iā€™m almost tempted to order an Office case for my PO-12, unless the 10 series cases were also updated and I just got one from an old batch.

TE quite possibly have been working to improve things.

I did notice one difference in the construction of the actual devices themselves, but thought it a bit random to post.

Here goes...

...drum roll...

The two 'hanger' joints on the new series are more substantial than on the old series. Perhaps some people were breaking the hangers off unintentionally. There. Glad to get that off my chest.

CB

If in UK some CA20s are up on eBay, get em while you can! My hanger is already off in anticipation.

I actually donā€™t like the cases at all. Mineā€™s will all remain naked and retain their hangers. :slight_smile:

CB

I love the cases, my Arcade is currently sporting a Rhythm case whilst my Rhythm goes commando.