Read this in case you decide to sell OP-1, OP-Z or any electronic device on Ebay or PayPal

Hey guys,

I just want to share my bad experience with my OP-1 sell on Ebay.
Mine got no issues in general, no scratches and so on.
I have it since 3-4 years(i bought it when i was in US).

And last month i decided to sell it.
I just don’t have enough time for it, I’m using in last year once per month which is not okay and i thought it will be better to sell it, so someone else to use it.
Posted it on Ebay with everything described - if OP-1 has scratches, what will be delivered and what is the condition of the display with No Returns option.
Few not serious buyers wanted to cancel the order few times. And in the end, i relisted it.

Then on the next day some guy bought it. I got the address and shipped it on the same day.
After 3 days, item was delivered.
The guy said that everything looks okay from his first try.
And on the next day, he said that the OP-1 is not charging. He said that you have few times to unplug or plug the USB cable, so LEDs to start blinking.
I never had such issues, but I’ve started a research and i found few topics here that this happens from time to time when the battery is totally empty and you need to leave it for a while, so the battery to be charged a little bit.

Sent him the topics. He said that he left the OP-1 for 4 hours and he got only 2 LEDs as battery level.
I said to him that this is normal. I normally recharged OP-1 during the night or for more than 6 hours(not how is written in the OP-1 manual). But hey, I saw that a lot of people have the same behavior. I mean that not all OP-1s will be charged up to 6 hours. He got some brand new OP-1 before the purchase of mine from Ebay which is weird for me to have both.
He was trying to convince me that the brand new one is fully charging for up to 6 hours.
I was okay with that, but for me it’s not normal to compare used with new OP-1.

Then this guy on every message which was sent to me, he said that battery is faulty and so on…
I’ve told him that battery level is not accurate on OP-1 in general.
And I sent him again topics from this forums where this is described, even with comments posted here from Teenage Engineering emails which are saying that in this cases, you need to calibrate the battery.
For me, it’s weird to buy a new OP-1, so you can test it if you will like it and then to take an used one from Ebay. Sounds like this buyer doesn’t know what he wants… So now he is testing mine for free.

So I’m posting this because in such cases where you don’t know how OP-1 works from time to time with its known issues and you bought it, because of the Ebay policies… The buyer can return it by not paying the returns, because the buyer will open a case for item as not described.
I’m waiting to receive the device back to me this week and I hope everything to pass without any issues during the returning process.

I will not do anything anymore with Ebay and PayPal.
Buyers can take your device to test it or just to use it for few months and then the same buyer can return it with opening a case with reasons like mine ‘OP-1 is not working as new’ or ‘OP-1 is okay’.

For Ebay, the period for opening such cases is 30 days… But on if it was payed by PayPal, buyer has 180 days to open a case from Resolution Center. A lot of people are complaining that some buyers broke by accident some which they sold and then such cases are opened from the buyers and then buyer got full refund without asking you for nothing.

So because of missing known issues for some electronic devices, you can be scammed or just your item to be used by someone for free, because when returning process is started, SELLERS are responsible for the returning cost + the full refund after item is received.

Beware!

I don’t see any other OP-1 listing on Ebay, which you’re saying something for known issues of the devices.

5 Likes

Sorry about that experience. Maybe filter people by posting on boards that has a good community?
Op forum, elektronauts, muffwiggler etc?

2 Likes

That’s unfortunate and happens a lot with electronics on ebay,
i would suggest selling to a friend of a friend kind of thing. Or post on forums like previous person said.

Man that sucks. I would have fully put something in the listing that said buyers with no bidding history will be denied. I have the exact same woes about selling on eBay / PayPal and that was one of several reasons I joined this merry band of synth nerds here today. Good post.

2 Likes