Recommended iPad apps

I’ve had the iPad mini + Line6 Sonic Port + OP-1 combo for a while now, things have been working out great so far but the only music app I have on the iPad is the Cubasis DAW.

I know I can get more out of the iPad but I have no idea what apps are good. considering there are so many to choose from,
could you please recommend some music making apps (Synths, effects, anything) or perhaps what community I should join to learn more?

Thank you

My favs:

• SamplR: amazing app for looping/sampling has MIDI sync, great for live performance…and more;
  • iVCS3: the faithful emulation of the VCS3/ EMS Synthi vintage synth…not your typical v-synth, probably that’s why I love it so much (also have Arturia’s holy trinity of iMini, iProphet and ISEM on board but iVCS is way more fun for me…)
  • Impaktor: virtual drum synth with 6 channels, you record the beats via the built-in or external mic, the app quantizes the beats, sounds amazing, I use it to make beat loops;
  • Werkbench: this is a 2x16 step sequencer, you record the sounds (by every single step…or multiple steps at a time, if that’s what you want…) via the built-in or ext mic - can produce unusual sequences;
  • Loopy HD: if it’s looping on iPad, Loopy is the way to go;
  • Xynthesizr: 32-step poly step sequencer,has MIDI sync and other goodies;
  • Sector: sample slicer/morpher - great app for experimenting, tweaking, etc.;
  • AUFX: they come from the same dev as Sector (Kymatica), they are solid and sound great;
  • Audioshare: also by Kymatica, a must have if you work with soundfiles on your iPad.
  • Audiobus: another must have ( if you don’t have it already…);
  • Turnado: great multi fx by Sugar Byte, a little pricey though… ;
  • Funkbox: cute little drum machine, based on rhythm boxes of yesteryear;
  • DM1: could be the best standalone iPad drum machine if the dev, Fingerlab was able to deal with the several bugs which have been known since iOS8.

I’ll add Pro Midi to the list. So far it reminds me of a simplified Abelton live.

Could we add any iPhone midi/sound apps to this list too? I’m toying with the idea of a CCK

Korg GADGET. Amazing!

Is there any way to program the OP-1’s sequencer via MIDI? By this I mean, the OP-1 has no way to save your current sequence for later recal, and I was trying to find a workaround. I was able to play my sequence into a MIDI recording app on my iPhone. Then I was able to play the MIDI file back into into my OP-1, and it triggered all the drums exactly the way it was supposed to, however if I hold down SHIFT as if I was going to program the sequencer using the OP-1’s keyboard, it does nothing. The drums still trigger but it doesn’t interpret that as keypresses to sequence. Is the OP-1 just not capable of this?

Anyone? :slight_smile:

With the OP-1 I only use Samplr.

1 Like

Is there any way to program the OP-1’s sequencer via MIDI? By this I mean, the OP-1 has no way to save your current sequence for later recal, and I was trying to find a workaround. I was able to play my sequence into a MIDI recording app on my iPhone. Then I was able to play the MIDI file back into into my OP-1, and it triggered all the drums exactly the way it was supposed to, however if I hold down SHIFT as if I was going to program the sequencer using the OP-1’s keyboard, it does nothing. The drums still trigger but it doesn’t interpret that as keypresses to sequence. Is the OP-1 just not capable of this?

The OP-1 sequencers can only be programmed by the built-in keyboard. External midi will always play the current sequence, even if holding shift to input notes.

P.S the new M1 Korg app is absolute beast.

Glad to see the love for Samplr (rightly so…) Main reason i bought a pad.

One that i’ve been messing with recently is Thumbjam. Has a really nice selection of sounds, an insane amount of scales from every part of the globe and let’s you use the ipad like a lapsteel. Also, does midi like a jedi and samples nicely too.

otherwise big shout outs to Nanoloop, IVCS3 and borderlands granular.

@jooga1972 loving Werkbench, Thanks for the tip!

synthmaster is good

bs-16 also cecause i load all my emu soundfonts

Forgot to include Yellofier Electrified, which is the brainchild of Boris Blank, the musical mastermind of the once famed and still much respected (by me, definitely) electro-indie-avantgarde-pop (or you name it) band Yello. In a way it has the same approach as Sector, in that it is based on sample-slicing and morphing, but its sequencer options allow for a seemingly more traditional workflow. The Sector-touch is not a coincidence as Kymatica, Sector’s developer had contributed to the design of Yellofier. All in all, some pretty interesting loops and even songs may be created with this app. I love the randomizer option because with that you can arrive at something you never had in mind but can soon grow to like a lot.

^whenever im in a rut making music i load up Yellowfier. Its able to change my perspective and think outside the box. I really appreciate that app. comically i dont really use it much to make music. just to trick my brain into thinking new ways. lol.

Nave and Mitosynth are both great.

This definitely falls more on the toy side than the tool side, but I love Figure from Propellerheads. It’s just a sketchpad to throw together a quick beat with a bassline and melody, but it’s free and so much fun to play with.

@el_wombato indeed, Figure is sort of toyish at first glance but nonetheless I regularly use it to make short pieces, primarily commercial jingles, which then I edit and master in Propellerhead Reason. :slight_smile: i wouldn’t want to write full songs with it though, because it’s really what you said, a sketchpad. But what a brilliant one! :slight_smile:

SoundScaper is pretty cool, and on sale right now! Grabbed it yesterday.

Edit: Has ElasticDrums been mentioned yet? It’s great!
1 Like

seekbeats. ugly but v/ sick