Riser / Builds

Hi guys, i wondered if someone could offer some advice / tips n tricks on how to achieve riser sounds, sweeps etc to build transitions??

Many thanks

easy ones…

- record any normal sound backwards on the tape… works well with cymbals. try pitching the tape down a bit before you do it.

- use a slow attack envelope on a synth with zero decay. play a chord and stop at the drop.

- use nitro and play a chord, tweak the blue knob as you record to get a high pass sweep.

these are pretty basic ideas you could try. not unique to the op-1 but easy to nail on there.

The tricks above are great. I also like to record things in reverse with delay or CWO to get nice swells when everything is played forward. Go to the beat marker where the ‘drop’ is, then hold the record button, the backwards ‘R’ button, and hit the notes you want or trigger your sequence. Just make sure to keep holding the R button or else the tape will play forwards. Lift and drop your work beforehand in case you are not happy with your first attempt.

2 Likes

hot tip @lymtronics

You can also use the digital synth set just to output like a broad noise, slow attack with the nitro filter and element LFO set to envelope - white noise filter sweep riser

1 Like

high portamento (shift + 2) & arrow keys as you play a note can help raise or drop the pitch of a sound dramatically. having a bit of Release in your ASDR envelope will help too.

as a test, try going +4, play that note super high pitched. then go all the way -4, hold Rec and tap to record your note dropping pitch significantly. (tune you portamento and rate of pitch change according to the actual synth sound and application). sounds nice to tap through the transitions +3, +2, +1, 0 etc as you play to the beat.

add in some LFO with Tremolo, setting the White knob to a negative value like -50 or so and Blue at 4…and it will give a crossfader effect in your note playing that provides extra drama as there sound cuts in and out as it scales up/down.

also using Endless sequencer on a Snare or HH and modulating from slow to fast (ex: 1/8 to 1/32) or vice versa can help add some anticipatory anxiety leading up to a drop or BOOMing transition.
1 Like
The tricks above are great. I also like to record things in reverse with delay or CWO to get nice swells when everything is played forward. Go to the beat marker where the 'drop' is, then hold the record button, the backwards 'R' button, and hit the notes you want or trigger your sequence. Just make sure to keep holding the R button or else the tape will play forwards. Lift and drop your work beforehand in case you are not happy with your first attempt.

holy shit why have i never tried this.

G-element!

very fun method for expressive risers.

i don’t use the accelerometer much, but when i do, it’s always just the right tool.

Awesome tip @lymtronics - I also started using the Value LFO - source set to Envelope, destination to white speaker/ green for pitch - then adjust atttack on the envelope to affect the length of the rise.
But this Reverse trick is on another level!

Awesome tip @lymtronics - I also started using the Value LFO - source set to Envelope, destination to white speaker/ green for pitch - then adjust atttack on the envelope to affect the length of the rise. But this Reverse trick is on another level!

*element LFO

Not being a D, just correcting typo in case noobs are confused.

@ludicrouSpeed said:
Not being a D, just correcting typo in case noobs are confused.

My bad! ?