Roland TR-8S

Looks pretty amazing bang for buck…
Sample playback/layering.
Max 128 steps per pattern.
All the ACB stuff
8 variations per pattern and fills etc.
Ton of fx.
Motion record.
Possibly p-locks? (he mentions ‘per step’)
Loads of connectivity
Ton of hands on controls
Sd card
Etc…

https://youtu.be/ul6YP7NvGxk

Anyone know if on the OG you can live rec pitch in to a track on a pattern via external keys? If that’s possible on this, or if you can p-lock pitch precisely… Prob cop one of these…

Always good to see Mike ‘Mr MV8800’ Acosta.

Looks killer. Calling Roland this afternoon and order one. Been digging push2 lately but really like the look of this and can get a no-brainier price on it. Feels kind of like Roland’s ‘while elektron was sleeping we caught up…and didn’t hold back on fx and connectivity’ box. Impressed.

https://youtu.be/TXbej3vmxkk

Looks killer. Calling Roland this afternoon and order one. Been digging push2 lately but really like the look of this and can get a no-brainier price on it. Feels kind of like Roland’s ‘while elektron was sleeping we caught up....and didn’t hold back on fx and connectivity’ box. Impressed.

Might be a bit. Stereo sampling/outputs/cv clock/parameter locking.

Finally seeing some other gear with Elektron style parameter locking (hold step and twist dial you want to edit).

Tempting for the fx and drum synthesis. Will be giving one a go at my local store for sure

Wonder how it would go in front of a Digitakt and Digitone :slight_smile: might get this instead of a Behringer Nuetron

Yeah looks pretty incredible for the price. Lots of hands on fun. Ton of sound mangling options with the fx + p-lock and everything else. Assuming the fx and filters are decent quality… Excited to get my hands on one…

Wonder if the lack of onboard sampling from inputs might indicate a Roland sampler + ACB synth groovebox is in the works also? Seems after this and Se-02 like they might be building toward something like that with the increasingly extended sequencer depth… Though I’ve been fooling myself in to thinking a new Roland sampler groovebox was coming every year for the past 5 years :confused:

Yeah looks pretty incredible for the price. Lots of hands on fun. Ton of sound mangling options with the fx + p-lock and everything else. Assuming the fx and filters are decent quality.. Excited to get my hands on one..

Wonder if the lack of onboard sampling from inputs might indicate a Roland sampler + ACB synth groovebox is in the works also? Seems after this and Se-02 like they might be building toward something like that with the increasingly extended sequencer depth… Though I’ve been fooling myself in to thinking a new Roland sampler groovebox was coming every year for the past 5 years :confused:

I have also been waiting for that acb sampler or in upgraded SP404SX for years… :frowning:

Ever since that rumour on gearslutz.

^ u forget about the 404A? lol :frowning:

From the Roland site -

‘Adjust decay and tuning and alter sample start points, speed, and direction’.

Wonder if the mention of both tuning AND speed indicates that it has timestrech? Also wonder whether you can p-lock/LFO modulate/motion sequence sample start?

mentions that the multi channel built in interface can send all separate channels to separate daw tracks via the usb.

Curious about the patterns/kits relationship and whether both are separately easily reloadable?

180sec max individual sample length.

Anyone know if it’s one global LFO or one per channel? Hoping per channel but not a dealbreaker for me with so much other stuff to p-lock and mess with…

Just occurred to me that (if I understand correct) to have filter or distortion on a channel that’s gonna eat up that channel’s fx slot… so in many scenarios it’s not gonna be a big jump up from DT in terms of available fx…

This actually makes me think twice about it… cool that it has separate outs for pedals, but would have been good to have filter and drive per channel without having to use the fx slot or rely on outboard. Mmmm…Gas potentially nuked.

Is it max steps of 128 AND 8 x variations? Or are the 8 x variations = 128 steps?
If it’s the latter, it’s kind of misleading in some of the promo where they mention patterns of max 128 steps without putting it in context of Variations. If need to use variations then it’s more like just a nice chaining implementation that’s required to program patterns longer than 16 steps?

Need to RTFM…

I like how they included a velocity-sensitive pad. You don’t necessarily need 8 or 16 of them. One is enough for fast entry of a track removing the need for fiddling with knobs and buttons.

The original in Aus was around the $650 mark(still is) this s version is $1100. That’s a massive hike from the original IMO. The same price as a digitakt. I’m not comparing products just prices.

Really thought it would be around the $899 mark.

Looks like it can import waves up to 24 bit/96khz!

The original in Aus was around the $650 mark(still is) this s version is $1100. That's a massive hike from the original IMO. The same price as a digitakt. I'm not comparing products just prices.

Store DJ are notorious for inflating their prices. They sometimes have limited discount offers but then jack up the price again. $1100 is bit rich considering the exchange rate.

The original in Aus was around the $650 mark(still is) this s version is $1100. That's a massive hike from the original IMO. The same price as a digitakt. I'm not comparing products just prices.

Store DJ are notorious for inflating their prices. They sometimes have limited discount offers but then jack up the price again. $1100 is bit rich considering the exchange rate.

Yeah $100 cheaper other places but still too high imo.
But exchange rate aside it’s a big hike in price for the new s version. Few.have commented today on elektronauts about it to.

Anyway don’t want to derail the thread.

It looks good and if I didn’t have a tr8 I’d probably be tempted to ship one from overseas. It will be very popular for live gigs no doubt. A proper gigging workhorse. Would love Roland to come up with a new signature drum sound/set. That would be cool but I guess with drum synthesis and samples etc more readily available that’s unlikely.

Yeah didn’t mean to derail the thread either :slight_smile:

I unhesitatingly bought the 7x7 expansion which this machine has included. Some people had a problem with Roland charging for this; call me delusional but I didn’t have any issue with that. Those 707, 727 and 606 sounds are included so that (and the sd card reader, lcd screen etc.) kind of accounts for the extra cost.

The 7x7 has some extra sounds based on ACB and I gather from what the videos are saying that there are some extra waveforms though I haven’t seen any sound or waveform list yet. That added 909 attack bassdrum was great as was that fingersnap.

I will wait and see. The main appeal for me about the tr8
classic is the WYSIWYG interface even it if means a lot of combo button presses. That’s what is appealing to me about the op-z to be honest.

As an owner of lots of Roland gear over the years and recently going down the path of owning all the AIRA, JDXA, JDXI, then selling all of it except the TR-8 and MX-1, I would put it out there that if you buy this new TR-8S, buy it for what it does now. Roland sucks at supporting their gear. After about two years, they quit developing, occasionally surprising us with a firmware update (or new sounds onto TR-8 four years later!), but generally, they abandon all their gear faster than anyone else. I love my Roland Juno Stage, I’ll never sell it, but they quit supporting it’s USB driver on Mac OS 10.8!! (we’re on 10.13.3 now).

For now I’ll keep my TR-8, wait for people to buy up the S, then decide it’s not all that, then sell at a lower price, I may pick one up. I would imagine it would make a great addition to the OP-1

I agree. Some peeps (not necessarily on this forum) have got sky high expectations for the TR-8S and its future - wanting Roland to eventually turn it into a full fledged sampler with Elektron-like sequencer features.

If I buy it, it would be primarily for its core functionality, which is the drum machine bits with modeled analog drum synthesis. The sampling part is a convenience add-on. I’d probably wipe all the factory samples and replace them with samples of happy accidents and other sounds stumbled upon my non-patch-memory gear (Microbrute, MS-20 Mini, etc.), and some prepared audio that I don’t really need to mangle all that much, since I got the OT and OP-1 for the involved mangling.

I hope Roland will update the manual w/ more info about the Trigger Out jacks. Apparently the voltage on those trigger outs might be too high for connection to the sync jacks of POs, Volcas, etc.