Sample file format issues

I take it back, drum patches are also disappearing for no reason.

Edit: I think this might be specific to loading samples in slot 10.

Edit 2: Yep, definitely an issue with slot 10.

@skoomsy said:

I gave my point of view in the OP-Z bugs thread.
I experienced since day one issues with samples disappearing when power cycling the device.
The fix is using the Configurationā€™s tab to load them back again in the OP-Z (if you are lucky and have an iOS device)

https://operator-1.com/index.php?p=/discussion/comment/60228/#Comment_60228

Thanks for the tip, unfortunately not working for me. Once Iā€™ve power cycled thereā€™s no sign of the sample on the configurator either.

Edit: thinking about it, I think I had done this before with a couple of synth samples, but specifically anything loaded to slot 10 disappears without a trace.

@skoomsy said:

Same problem here, any drum/synth sample on slot 10 disappears after a reboot!

Thanks for the browser script Gero. Iā€™ve been going nutz trying to upload my own samples to the OP-Z

@cretakano said:

@skoomsy said:

Same problem here, any drum/synth sample on slot 10 disappears after a reboot!

This also happens to me, 1-9 slots are fine, 10 it dissapears after turning off and on

I am on day 4 with my OPZ-Loving it so far. To chime in, drum samples seem fine. However synth samples are problematic. For synth samples, all 16bit mono aif files:
a. Transferring the same sample from OSX seems to work but from Windows it does not. I am using safe eject of the USB device in both cases
b. the samples sound weird. P1 is described as pitch in the documentation but changing it does not appear to affect pitch. Instead it adds a kind of bit crush sound (not nice for melodic stuff)
c. samples appear to be monophonic despite being set as polyphonic in the track settings

@ktips said:
I am on day 4 with my OPZ-Loving it so far. To chime in, drum samples seem fine. However synth samples are problematic. For synth samples, all 16bit mono aif files:
a. Transferring the same sample from OSX seems to work but from Windows it does not. I am using safe eject of the USB device in both cases
b. the samples sound weird. P1 is described as pitch in the documentation but changing it does not appear to affect pitch. Instead it adds a kind of bit crush sound (not nice for melodic stuff)
c. samples appear to be monophonic despite being set as polyphonic in the track settings

a. Not sure about on Windows, but sometimes on OSX you need to physically unplug the USB cable after ejecting before it starts transferring.

b. Transposing samples sounds really weird, surprised they didnā€™t just use the synth sampler engine from the OP-1 which sounds great to me. Hereā€™s a sample from my Alpha Juno being played down the keyboardā€¦ 1 semitone down sounds extra weird lol.

https://clyp.it/rptaujq0?fbclid=IwAR1u0TLLWhpPr14SyerfTr5qZI9vgkwm6cPkYkwS5EIcM11P3Xf2c09BdaM#

Also not feeling that P1 bitcrushing effect, sounds pretty bad on most things. P2 doesnā€™t seem to do anything, would make sense for it to control the sample start point.

c. Bass and arp tracks are monophonic, lead is 3 polyphony, chord is 4 polyphony.

a, That doesnā€™t seem to be the problem. basically mac/osx transfer B) , windows :ā€™(
b. Eek, that did not sound good. Weird some transposed notes were clean and others had artifacts. What was P1 set to zero?. Mine seem to be clean now
c.Thanks-same sample on the lead track did was indeed poly.

I donā€™t have a problem with the transposition aliasing; in fact, Iā€™ve been looking for something like that for a whileā€”it sounds fairly similar to the aliasing when you turn off interpolation in old trackers (e.g. FT2). I love the sound of aliased waves, especially when using pitch bend/vibrato.

Is it more pronounced than in the OP-1?

@gero_ said:
You canā€™t loop samples, best you can do is have the raw sample pitched some octaves up and play it lower so it gets longer than 6 seconds.

So OP-Z doesnā€™t support looped chromatic samples at all?

Hopefully they add that feature at some point; I was hoping to build a web/standalone app that allowed the user to set loop points, ADSR etcā€¦ guess it could still be helpful for OP-1 use.

@gero_ said:
The only real advise I have is that synth parameter 1 always seems to be bitcrushing with chromatic samples and I have found no way to change that.

I kinda like the bitcrush effectā€¦ itā€™s undocumented in the guide; I wonder if itā€™s an intentional feature? Used subtly it adds some texture.

If you guys are having problems with slot 10 have you updated your OP-Z firmware? This was a known bug on the previous firmware, since updating mine slot 10 works fine here.

Also FYI tracks 1-4 can only have drum samples (upto 12 seconds) tracks 5-8 can only have synth samples (upto 6 seconds)

Drum samples consist of a 12 second file containing upto 24 samples, synth samples currently only work with a single sound of 6 seconds.

Actually i ve figured out that you can set loop points from the OP-1, and only. They work as expected back in the Op Z. Be careful to spot zero-crossing ones :wink:
Massive thanks Gero for the scripts.

The whole process of preparing samples with the OP-1 drum utility, Geroā€™s website and then putting the OP-Z in disk mode, mounting the disk, copying files one by one, unmounting the disk, restarting the OP-Z, finding that it didnā€™t work and start all over again every time is a huge painā€¦

2 Likes

Excellent synth .aif tool! Many thanks. Do you happen to know of a method of converting OT chains (16 sample wavā€™s) into opz format aif kits? (other than chopping and dragging into Dudaā€™s excellent op1 drum tool).
Thanks