Sample file format issues

Hi guys!

I created some piano samples to put in the chord channel. They are .aif, under 6 seconds, mono, 44.1 k, 16 bit but it does not show them when I copy them to op-z in content mode. I tried it with some of cuckoos op-1 patches and it worked fine. Am I missing anything?

Hi,
you are missing something but this is very badly communicated from TE. I’m copy pasting from previous comments I made:

The samples have to be specially prepared; they need to be 44.1khz, 16 bit mono aiff files and need special markers for drum or synth tracks. For drum tracks, you can use OP-1 Drum Utility or maybe the online tool at op1.fun (though I’ve heard of some problems about that). For synth tracks, I’ve written a little script to add the markers to the files, you’ll find it here: http://gerotakke.de/op-z-sample/

1 Like

thank you!!! works great:)

This file won’t upload to OP-Z. Is it because it is in C? (AIFF-C) If so… how do you make it A? I get this message when I use your script “Sample already seems to contain APPL chunk. Not modifying”

Can you upload the sample so I can have a look?

Just to clear this up: AIFF-C is a variant of the AIFF format. What I mean with “A” in my description is the musical key of A, the pitch of the sample. This is because there is a marker that describes the frequency as 440Hz which in turn controls how the sample is pitched for every note played on the OP-Z.

@gero_ said:
The samples have to be specially prepared; they need to be 44.1khz, 16 bit mono aiff files and need special markers for drum or synth tracks. For drum tracks, you can use OP-1 Drum Utility or maybe the online tool at op1.fun (though I’ve heard of some problems about that). For synth tracks, I’ve written a little script to add the markers to the files, you’ll find it here: http://gerotakke.de/op-z-sample/
How many 6 second synth samples can one load per synth track?

One sample takes up one of the 10 slots. So it’s a maximum of 10 but of course they are shared with the synths so you probably wouldn’t use all of these for only samples.

Okay, thanks

@gero_ said:

It was .aif but I had to change it to .aiff to upload it

Does the sample have to be 6 seconds of could you load shorter samples also?
Is it possible to loop samples for sustained pads?

@djoh said:

@gero_ said:

It was .aif but I had to change it to .aiff to upload it

I ran that though my tool and it worked fine. Doesn’t seem to be the same sample as before, it doesn’t match the info from your screenshot.

@onthervn said:
Does the sample have to be 6 seconds of could you load shorter samples also?
Is it possible to loop samples for sustained pads?

It has to be 6 seconds, otherwise there will be some sample “bleed” after it is sustained longer than the sample length; for me this has always been some drum sounds but it could be worse like random memory generating harsh noise.
You can’t loop samples, best you can do is have the raw sample pitched some octaves up and play it lower so it gets longer than 6 seconds.

So I’m having a hard time with samples - mostly I’ve been trying out ones from op1.fun, but I’m getting all kinds of weird behaviour. Many samples will copy over, then simply won’t be there when I try to select them on the op-z. Other times, they’ll be there, but sound like garbage on the device. Part of that is the default envelope settings, but even when playing with that I can’t get any samples to play properly (mostly they seem truncated, like a six second sample will only be one second).

Then it gets weirder. The samples disappear from the plug slot entirely at random. Say, I’ll switch to a different plug, then try going back to the sample, and the “preset” (ie the lit white key) will have disappeared, but the sample will still play. Then I’ll switch again, and won’t be able to switch back because it’s gone completely. No sign of it ever being there in disk mode.

Also, even when set to poly it seems samples can’t actually be played polyphonically, so that sucks.

I should mention drum slices work as expected so far, this is specifically for samples loaded into the chromatic slots.

@skoomsy This sounds bad. I haven’t experienced that personally but I’ve read about that sample disappearing problem before. People suggested a factory reset but I haven’t heard anything after that.
The only real advise I have is that synth parameter 1 always seems to be bitcrushing with chromatic samples and I have found no way to change that. So keep an eye on that dial if things sound like garbage; but of course what you are describing sounds way ore serious than that.

I’m having the same problems @skoomsy

I’m having no luck at all wit importing my own samples. I used Abelton to export, I used the smaples from OP1.fun, I used the latest drum utility, and I used @gero_
I turn on the OP-Z holding the track button till all the lights are solid green, then I plug in the USB chord to my Macbook, the OP-Z disc mounts, I drop the samples into the the slot (one per plug slot) then I eject the disc and the OP-Z restarts. Sometimes the SAMPLE is there and it works… then the light on the button turns off, then the sample is on more than one button, then the sample dissapperas. The samples AWAYS dissappear when you re-start the OP-Z. HELP!!!

@skoomsy said:
So I’m having a hard time with samples - mostly I’ve been trying out ones from op1.fun, but I’m getting all kinds of weird behaviour. Many samples will copy over, then simply won’t be there when I try to select them on the op-z. Other times, they’ll be there, but sound like garbage on the device. Part of that is the default envelope settings, but even when playing with that I can’t get any samples to play properly (mostly they seem truncated, like a six second sample will only be one second).

Then it gets weirder. The samples disappear from the plug slot entirely at random. Say, I’ll switch to a different plug, then try going back to the sample, and the “preset” (ie the lit white key) will have disappeared, but the sample will still play. Then I’ll switch again, and won’t be able to switch back because it’s gone completely. No sign of it ever being there in disk mode.

Also, even when set to poly it seems samples can’t actually be played polyphonically, so that sucks.

I should mention drum slices work as expected so far, this is specifically for samples loaded into the chromatic slots.

I have not tried drum samples yet. I’m going to factory re-set and try again.

@skoomsy

UPDATE AFTER FACTOR RE-SET: Drum utility works for drum patches. But synth patches keep doing as described above.
@skoomsy
@gero_

I think I figured it out.

You can only add samples in slot number four (fx) and since your using the Drum Utiltiy - you put mutiple sample across the keys up to 6(?) seconds and they populate the keys (same way as drums). So…i.e., 6 one second sounds would be in one .aif file across six keys. Guess everything else will be a purchase from TE OP-Z app and you drag and drop from CONFIGURATOR

@skoomsy
@gero_

@djoh said:
I think I figured it out.

You can only add samples in slot number four (fx) and since your using the Drum Utiltiy - you put mutiple sample across the keys up to 6(?) seconds and they populate the keys (same way as drums). So…i.e., 6 one second sounds would be in one .aif file across six keys. Guess everything else will be a purchase from TE OP-Z app and you drag and drop from CONFIGURATOR

Hey djoh, you’re sort of right but that’s not the issue I was running into. Samples sliced up in the drum utility can be put on tracks 1-4 (not just 4), and so far I haven’t had any issues with those. The samples I’m talking about are ones that I’m trying to put on tracks 5-8, which don’t function in quite the same way.