Sampling on Push 2

Got great deal on push 2 a while back and only used it for couple of hours. No free time lately :confused: Never been a deep ableton user, Im ok with it but Def not a power user and I’ve never sampled in to it, only browsed/used my existing sample folders. Usually I use OT/SP/Daw (Sonar) for sampling/trimming/saving samples.

Gonna hit YouTube in a sec for poss tutorials/tips but any advice on best workflow for quickest ‘sample some audio - trim - save/export. Repeat’ would be great. Like can I drag/drop samples out of ableton to a folder etc or do I need to do legit save/export every time?

Wondering whether it would be quicker in Arrangement view or session? I won’t be doing anything with the samples in the session. Just recording/amassing a f&£k load of new sounds to spread around Hardware (OT/Sp) and also use in Ableton at later date…

Thanks

an alternative to export or rendering in live is to use ‘consolidate’, i think the hotkey is CTRL(or command)+J

if u right click on a wav or sound in live you’ll see the option too or in the edit menu drop down.

it won’t export thru any fx or anything you’ll have to use export/render for that.
but w/ consolidate and using split to zone your wavs how u want them you can batch create separate wavs for as many of your files in a session at once that u select to the bit & sample rate u have your ableton set to in the audio settings.

it saves them to the 'current project folder" under ‘places’ then drag your sound files from the “current project” folder into whatever folder you want, or save them into a project folder like u would any other ableton session.

i think if you exit ableton w/o saving your project to a permanent place or moving the wavs to a different folder before you exit, i think ableton will delete them as the “current project folder” is like a temporary folder. ableton might give u a message and choice when u exit alerting you to these temporary files and what u want to do w/ them.

its much faster than render and you can create wavs for broken up sounds in your session, whereas w/ render it would either give u 1 long wav, or u would have to export each section individually.

@docshermsticks thanks man, very useful info. Didn’t get round to it today but hopefully tomoro and I’ll keep this in mind. Cheers

@docshermsticks hey man, quick question for you… You seem to have Ableton/Push down. Do you enjoy using it/find it quick compared to units like OT/Op-1? I’m finding it kind of confusing and long-winded/lot of ‘steps’ doing a lot of stuff and I’m trying to figure out how much is just down to teething process. Wanna persevere and see how it goes. But doesn’t seem to have the potential immediacy I expected. Very possibly just down to me being at the ‘new hardware - stare blankly and fumble around’ stage… Part of my reason to wanna learn it was to eventually also learn Reaktor and Max and have some interesting OP-1 style sequencers inside Daw and arpeggiate/sequence simplr slices and drum racks etc, the whole idea is feeling like a ton of Ballache/learning right now tho!

heyyo i don't have really any experience w/ push. i've just been using live for a long time.

my sense is that i think theres a zillion and one things you can do in ableton & maybe thats hard to fit all that shit into a controller and keep it easy breezy at the same time…?

maybe give it some time and see how u like it. everything takes time to get used to.
heyyo i don't have really any experience w/ push. i've just been using live for a long time.

my sense is that i think theres a zillion and one things you can do in ableton & maybe thats hard to fit all that shit into a controller and keep it easy breezy at the same time…?

maybe give it some time and see how u like it. everything takes time to get used to.

Thanks. Had a few sessions on it now and all good. Got a little list of features/shortcuts I need to find/figure out but overall much quicker on it now :slight_smile: