Second Hand OP-1 full function checklist

Hi

After a lot of weird experiences and horrible luck trying to aquire an OP-1, over the last year, I’ve finally managed to purchase one that has actually shipped.

I was dead set on buying new, but I couldn’t put up with Amazon/Guitar Center/Sweetwater/chain shenanigans any longer…I went second hand.

The Seller described the item as “purchased in the Fall of 2016, lightly used, kept in the box and like new” I feel pretty confident in its condition though I’m curious if you guys could help me out.

Over my 4 years of lurking here, I’ve encountered multiple threads of various hardware/software ailments. I was hoping maybe some of you would be willing to make a little check list of common issues and the quickest ways to confirm full functionality as the sellers policy does allow for returns, but only in a very short span.

Ideally I’d just run the gamut while delving into the OP-1, but I’m thinking the only way to assure full functionality prior to the return deadline, is to have a planned out approach.

Thanks for any input and guidance!

Hold the Com button while powering up. It’ll let you run a pretty thorough diagnostic test (testing all keys, input/output, etc).

1. Do diagnostics test described above.
  2. Double check inputs (including mic) and outputs.
  3. Look for cracked encoders

The software is pretty robust, so the diagnostics check mentioned should let you know if there’s any problems inside. Once that is cleared, just bring some headphones, check if they sound right. Bring a 1/8" aux cable and play something from your phone to test the input jack (if you don’t know how to monitor the input, ask the seller he should know. But either way I recommend reading some of the manual first anyway so you know what to look for in general). Turn all the encoders and press all the keys, it should be pretty apparent if one doesn’t work, i.e. they should all make a sound or make something happen on screen, even if you are unfamiliar with the interface. Don’t forget to check the built-in speaker, if that matters to you. It should sound surprisingly good, but not great, but still better than most people think.

to be thorough i would also check that the USB works, charges, and you can connect it to a computer via DISK mode.

Remember the full test is done with Shift+2 and Shift+3

Hi

After a lot of weird experiences and horrible luck trying to aquire an OP-1, over the last year, I’ve finally managed to purchase one that has actually shipped.

I was dead set on buying new, but I couldn’t put up with Amazon/Guitar Center/Sweetwater/chain shenanigans any longer…I went second hand.

The Seller described the item as “purchased in the Fall of 2016, lightly used, kept in the box and like new” I feel pretty confident in its condition though I’m curious if you guys could help me out.

Over my 4 years of lurking here, I’ve encountered multiple threads of various hardware/software ailments. I was hoping maybe some of you would be willing to make a little check list of common issues and the quickest ways to confirm full functionality as the sellers policy does allow for returns, but only in a very short span.

Ideally I’d just run the gamut while delving into the OP-1, but I’m thinking the only way to assure full functionality prior to the return deadline, is to have a planned out approach.

Hello, I’m curious about the shenanigans you have experienced, particularly with Guitar Center. I was considering buying a new OP-1 through them as they are the only US seller who seem to have them in stock. I spoke with a sales rep. on the phone to get a firm confirmation that they have them in stock before placing my order. He said they showed as being in stock on his computer. I asked if he could confirm that they were not on back order. His response was less than reassuring. He said that he can only go by what shows on the computer. I decided to wait.

Hi

Hello, I’m curious about the shenanigans you have experienced, particularly with Guitar Center. I was considering buying a new OP-1 through them as they are the only US seller who seem to have them in stock. I spoke with a sales rep. on the phone to get a firm confirmation that they have them in stock before placing my order. He said they showed as being in stock on his computer. I asked if he could confirm that they were not on back order. His response was less than reassuring. He said that he can only go by what shows on the computer. I decided to wait.

Yea, definitely don’t! Their system is horrible. What’s happening is they keep getting small batches, as soon as they get scanned in the site they are listed as in stock. Problem is there is a back order of like 300 orders. The small batches go to the first in line, as it should. The issue is even the customer service says they are in stock and will ship to you, but they just take the money and say get in line the next day.

If it says in stock, it isn’t. Each csr says something different, some would verify it as in stock and promise it ships the next day. The next day when inquiring the new csr will say, “that’s nonsense, everyone here knows they are on long back order.”

Happened 3 times this year when seeing they were listed as in stock for extended periods of time and even calling in.

Worst part is they keep changing the price, and chances are there is a GC in your state, so add tax. All in all it was the biggest hassle for the highest price and no product.

Hi

Yea, definitely don’t! Their system is horrible. What’s happening is they keep getting small batches, as soon as they get scanned in the site they are listed as in stock. Problem is there is a back order of like 300 orders. The small batches go to the first in line, as it should. The issue is even the customer service says they are in stock and will ship to you, but they just take the money and say get in line the next day.

If it says in stock, it isn’t. Each csr says something different, some would verify it as in stock and promise it ships the next day. The next day when inquiring the new csr will say, “that’s nonsense, everyone here knows they are on long back order.”

Happened 3 times this year when seeing they were listed as in stock for extended periods of time and even calling in.

Worst part is they keep changing the price, and chances are there is a GC in your state, so add tax. All in all it was the biggest hassle for the highest price and no product.

Rats! Just as I suspected. Hey, thanks for the heads up! I am in a state with GCs so I would have to pay the additional 7% too. I’ll keep scouring Ebay or wait until more reputable dealers have them in stock. Most have mid-June as their anticipated in stock dates.

It’s certainly worth the headache to aquire. It ended up being as described. I couldn’t be happier with the unit, easily my favorite musical object- though I may be honeymooning a little!