Selecting chromatic samples from big sample packs (ie, Samples from Mars) for OP-1?

Having bought the big heavily holiday discounted Samples from Mars “Everything” set, I’m now faced with trying to select some of the chromatic content for loading onto the OP-1 and Octatrack.

These are the big collections of samples that every single note from C0 to C8 sampled for massive multisample monsters like Kontakt and friends. Not typically my kind of thing, but for the price, there’s a lot of content that can be used to make new sounds, right? Plenty of fun things to feed into the OP-1, MD, OT, Microgranny, Volca Sample, etc, once I pick through things.

Anyways, I seem to remember hearing that the preferred default pitch for the OP-1’s sample engine is not C but A. Is that right? And which one is preferred? (A3? A4? or if its C based - C3 or C4 or just whatever I see fit?)

I’ve got the OP-1 Drumkit Utility to make some drum kits. But I get a bit overwhelmed when I see folders with up 93 individual sample files and I only need one.

Also - any good recommendation for modern sound/sample manager tools for macOS that might make it easier to crawl through and manage these folders?

Subbed

Also trying to decide whether to go for the $39 deal :slight_smile:

$39 is absolutely worth it. Even if you use a tiny fraction of all the things available. There are tons of drum samples and many of those have a ‘kits’ folder in the ‘Waves’ section with some nice pre-selected samples in one or more groupings. That’ll make it easier to build OP-1 drum kits and Octatrack chains, I think. I just wish they had something like that for the chromatic samples - just had a folder of the C3’s or something of all of the various sounds and collections. There’s just so much to go through.

Maybe I’ll write some kind of query (I’m sure there’s a way to do it in spotlight on macOS) to find every sample that ends with ‘C3.wav’ in an area and copy it to a folder for easier evaluation and format transformation.
$39 is absolutely worth it. Even if you use a tiny fraction of all the things available. There are tons of drum samples and many of those have a 'kits' folder in the 'Waves' section with some nice pre-selected samples in one or more groupings. That'll make it easier to build OP-1 drum kits and Octatrack chains, I think. I just wish they had something like that for the chromatic samples - just had a folder of the C3's or something of all of the various sounds and collections. There's just so much to go through.

Maybe I'll write some kind of query (I'm sure there's a way to do it in spotlight on macOS) to find every sample that ends with 'C3.wav' in an area and copy it to a folder for easier evaluation and format transformation.

If you do make that let me know! would be handy

$39 is absolutely worth it. Even if you use a tiny fraction of all the things available. There are tons of drum samples and many of those have a 'kits' folder in the 'Waves' section with some nice pre-selected samples in one or more groupings. That'll make it easier to build OP-1 drum kits and Octatrack chains, I think. I just wish they had something like that for the chromatic samples - just had a folder of the C3's or something of all of the various sounds and collections. There's just so much to go through.

Maybe I'll write some kind of query (I'm sure there's a way to do it in spotlight on macOS) to find every sample that ends with 'C3.wav' in an area and copy it to a folder for easier evaluation and format transformation.

If you do make that let me know! would be handy

Nevermind, just realised i can run a search of the whole sample directory with the advanced search to only show files that contain c3 in name. Then just bulk copy results to a new folder.

@jshell oh man I did the same thing! I’ve only downloaded a few of the packs so far, but they are sooooooo heavily multisampled that it’s a massive task to got through them all…

The 909 loops are pretty good sounding

The modded 606 kit they were (maybe still are) giving away for free is also pretty damn slick (it’s also part of the big bundle). I was starting to lust after a TR-8 after years of kindof trying to avoid the 808 style things. But this should keep me satisfied once I go through and bundle things up for various machines.

The MPC60 and Sp1200 packs are great. I’ve already made about 10 OP1 kits that sound fantastic.

I have also been running the samples through D16 Decimort 2 and Devastator 2 for some wild sounds :smiley:

@MirEko those are literally the only two I’ve bothered with so far - some great hits in there!

Too bad the Samples from Mars license prevents redistribution. We could’ve started a collaborative effort to convert the samples into OP-1 kits. =)