Sequencing OP-1 with OP-Z

Hi, I’d like to use the OP-Z to sequence OP-1’s synth and drum engines and record that to the tape, but I can’t quite figure out how to get it to behave predictably. Has anyone tried this successfully?

So far I can only get the Kick track to play on the OP-1, is it possible to use the other tracks or am I stuck with the Kick track only? I messed around with MIDI settings and checked out the online manual, but I don’t know a whole lot about setting up MIDI so I’m not sure the settings mean what I think they mean.

My ideal set-up would be to use the OP-Z as a brain for sequencing and arranging songs, with the OP-1 as the sound source and recording device for the final audio. I’d also like to be able to use OP-Z to sequence the MIDI LFO on the OP-1 if that’s possible. Would be super tight if it is.

If anyone has used a setup like this I’d like to know how you did it. Thanks in advance!

Unfortunately, OP-1 is not multitimbral, so you need to play/record one instrument at a time.

That’s okay with me. My intention is to have the OP-Z store all the patterns for easy access when I do need to record a track. I’d be able to recall patterns and play them with any of OP-1’s engines when I need to. Sort of a “best of both worlds” workflow. Recording one track at a time isn’t a problem at all, I just want to use OP-Z’s crazy sequencing capabilities with OP-1’s synth engines in a gridless space.

I guess I should make it clear that the dilemma is that I can only use the drum track on the OP-Z, limiting my pattern storage to just that track. If I could record any track to the OP-1, even if one at a time, I’d be able to have a way to go back and re-record a pattern if I mess up one of my tape tracks or change my mind about something down the road. The OP-Z would be a sort of “storage” that I also use as a controller. I hope that makes sense haha.

Try setting the midi-in channel on OP-1.(Shift + Com key, and Shift + blue encoder)

1 Like

There it is! I’ve never messed with OP-1’s MIDI settings before. I can now write skeleton songs on the OP-Z and consolidate to the OP-1 for further sound design. This is a game-changer. Thank you!

2 Likes

On top of that I can also sequence OP-1’s parameters on the OP-Z with the MIDI LFO now too, which is bonkersssss.

Could you gibe an example what you mean with sequencing the MIDI LFO and what do you use it for?

Sure, so the OP-1 has a MIDI LFO option. This allows you to control the OP-1 parameters externally, with a MIDI controller or automations from a DAW. The MIDI LFO is by far the most flexible of the LFOs, the catch is it can’t be used within the device itself.

The other built-in LFOs are fairly simple, and can only be used within one engine, whether it’s the synth, or the envelope, or the FX engine. The MIDI LFO is different in that you have more control over which encoder does what. It’s still limited to four parameters, but you can have one control the decay, while the other controls the resonance on Nitro, with a third one controlling the noise level on DNA, and maybe a fourth changing the waveform. This example could lead to some sounds otherwise not possible on the OP-1.

The OP-Z being sort of a tracker-esque kinda sequencer allows you to step-sequence anything from the pitch, to the high-pass, and other sorts of craziness. Basically every note in a pattern can have its own array of settings beyond just what pitch it is. This gets you a lot of mileage with even a single sound. Taking this over to the OP-1 via MIDI can make things even more complex. The OP-Z having four colorful encoders like the OP-1 makes it a perfect companion for just that.

Soooo I’m rambling but the tl;dr of it is, I can step sequence the OP-1’s synths AND their parameters in a way that isn’t even close to possible with just an OP-1(Or possibly with time-consuming workarounds and tons of resampling). I could, in theory, make something like an entire drumkit, just using one synth being heavily changed over the course of a pattern. It’ll be super useful for complex IDM type sounds, and saving track space.

1 Like

Screen Shot 2022-03-12 at 11.41.34 AM
this amused me…i just woke up haha

2 Likes

Thanks! I’ll have to try that.

One question how are you recording the audio from the OPz to OP1 digitally through usb?

I’m using the Audio In.

1 Like