Should I return my new op-z for this issue?

I bought a new one as I was worried about the known problems. This one is ever so slightly curved but the main problem is that it is occasionally doing the double trigger thing. Should I return it? I’m really loving it btw

Well, it generally doesn’t improve on its own, but they can all do it. It’s possible that you may need to go through a few of them to get a “perfect” Z. I have had good luck cleaning my keys without disassembling it, it that was just cleaning dirt from the buttons essentially. There are threads discussing the design flaws with the key bed that gets into the underlying issues.

Also, if you bought it new to avoid these issues specifically, don’t settle for one that has them.

1 Like

I did tons of research before getting one and have seen the threads about how to clean it to fix the problem but didn’t think I’d have to be fixing it straight out of the box.
I’ll swap it out and fingers crossed it’ll be working ok!

Also the pitch bend button doesn’t seem to do anything. Do you have to assign it or does it just work on every sound by default?

1 Like

Pressing the pitch bend button will light the step LED on any track. And the bend buttons are very fragile. mine’s pitchbend has stopped working after only 6 months.

1 Like

Ah man. Well even though I don’t think I’d use it that much it’s also pretty rubbish that it doesn’t work out of the box. I’ve set up a return and have bought another one so let’s see how that goes…

1 Like

Get yourself some CRC 2-26 Multi-purpose Precision Lubricant. Spray some into a cap or dish, use a cotton swab to apply some around the buttons and use a towel to press and massage the lubricant into the buttons as well as clean the excess away. Over time, pretty much all OP-Z’s are going to suffer from this sticky buttons/warping issues.

*Be sure to turn off your OP-Z first!

1 Like

Regarding pitchbend: it is not assignable, it bends anything that can be pitched up and down, and it is not recordable to sequencer.

It is notoriously difficult to use, but is fun to mess with when using my Launchkey Mini

2 Likes

I was considering doing the spray fix method but when I realised the pitch bend button didn’t work I just set up a return. It’s brand new. Cheers though :slight_smile:

2 Likes