Should we upgrade from 218 to 225?

@5StarNomad the problem occurs when I leave tape mode to look for sounds in synth or drum mode… the strange thing is that it doesn’t happen every time. Most of the time I can switch out of tape mode (with the tape playing or not) and audition sounds in synth or drum mode at their regular (relative to the main volume and regardless of the recording/red level of the tape) volume. It started to happen at the tail end of a two hour session last night… and once it started it just got worse- panning started to be effected too. It got to the point I had to put it to bed. I’m working on the track now and it’s just fine… so maybe I inadvertently triggered that behavior somehow? I’m too new to the op-1 to say for sure but seems like there could be a bug to this so I posted here. Cheers!

***for info***

Just updated from 218 to 225.

Did not factory reset at any stage (never have, in fact).

Upgrade went perfectly smoothly.

CB

Is the upgrade worth it?
I’m still on 218 running smoothly.

I’ve not noticed any differences. I really only did the upgrade to stay current and avoid getting into a situation where I would be way behind and would have to take an untested upgrade path to get to the latest version at some future stage.

CB

Ugh I am scared to do it, someone here bricked theirs updating from 218 to 225.

Does this upgrade fix the slow display issue when there’s a lot going on?

Does this upgrade fix the slow display issue when there's a lot going on?

no

Hello guys

this appears in the screen

image1

and not charging for some reason with OS218

i updated with no trouble from 218 to 225, but my op-1 was recently in for repairs totaling something like $250 after it would not turn on or charge correctly. they put in a new board and other stuff i can't recall. the return process was way more convoluted than it should have been. i was basically talking to like a regional person they have in the states through email and they were not exactly transparent about the whole process except how much it would cost to fix. my unit was kept in pristine condition but quite a few years old and it did not malfunction because of user error or neglect that's for sure. i really hope they're not bricking old devices with firmware that's not compatible with old hardware. that would be really, really shitty. either way, i ponied up the cash cause nothing replaces it. it will always be worth repair. but all of these issues look eerily familiar and i don't think they are anomalous. where there is smoke, there is fire.

Exactly same experience. Sent my bricked OP-1 in for non-warranty service. $120 for a new DSP plus the bench fee. Received little in the way of an explanation of the probable or possible cause except: “could be overuse”. Overusing a DSP? What’s the MTTF on these things? I used mine maybe 1-2 hours a week over four years. I’m suspicious and turned off to be honest.

Anyone want to buy an OP-1?

Should we organise a poll, in order to detect possible patterns? I confess I haven’t followed the update problem discussions recently, but this worries me a lot!

@vehka yeah I’ve not upgraded since the public beta OS… Nervous to after reading this stuff. If there’s a pattern hidden in the ‘brickings’ maybe we can figure out some ‘do’s and don’ts’. Seems weird that people are getting charged big sums of money for repairs on units that got bricked during an update? Seems like the kind of thing that should instead be met with ‘damn… So sorry about this! We’ll send you a replacement asap’?! Unless it’s some huge user error causing those worst case issues?

I updated both of mine without issue, they are both pretty old FWIW.

Same here.

@darenager @k4nsk3 good to hear no issues with you guys :slight_smile: what was your process when updating? Factory reset first? Which OS were you on before? Etc.

Updated my old (4+ years) without any issues a few weeks after last update. No problems so far.

I’ll prob update nxt couple of days. Sounds like the problems are pretty rare overall? Feel bad for anyone that had issues but hopefully its pretty safe in general…

@Callofthevoid I updated from 218 to 225 with no problems. I’ve never done a factory reset (ever). Neither have I ever installed beta versions. I did ensure my battery was charged fully beforehand.

Hope this helps.
CB

@Callofthevoid I updated from 218 to 225 with no problems. I've never done a factory reset (ever). Neither have I ever installed beta versions. I did ensure my battery was charged fully beforehand.

Hope this helps.
CB

Thanks man, fingers crossed :wink:

"could be overuse".

Can’t decide if this is a joke or an insult… I mean we’re looking at a 900+ EUR piece of gear here… I do like the OP-1 but can’t say I’m fond of TE’s shenaningans and attitude…

nevermind