Simple MIDI connector for OP-1 and a battery device (Anode)?

This summer has been all about playing music on the back patio. Primarily this has been either the OP-1 or a cigar box guitar. I just ordered a Meeblip Anode yesterday. It’s a small synth (voice? module?) but playable only by MIDI. And the OP-1 has quickly become my preferred MIDI controller for other small gear or iPad.

I have an OPLab and that’s been great when inside my chaotic mess of a studio.

But I was wondering what OP-1 -> MIDI options were available and best for simple battery devices. I don’t want to plug anything into an outlet or computer. I’d prefer it to be just OP-1 -> Anode or Volca via MIDI -> Tiny little amp or headphones.

Thanks

(Just realized I’m not entirely sure the Meeblip supports running on a battery, but the question still stands for Volca-sequencing-via-OP-1)

Sorry G! Your gonna need an Oplab or Kenton USB to midi all of which need to be plugged in. Don’t think there’s anyways around this, but if anyone has a solution please let us know! :slight_smile:

That’s what I was fearing… I just confirmed the Anode doesn’t have a battery compartment anyways so it won’t be joining the patio-music set.

If you have an iPhone, then the Midi Bridge app, a camera connection kit and a USB hub allows two USB-Midi devices to talk to each other. I have controlled my OP-1 using an M-Audio Keystation Keyboard this way. I assume there must be a similar app for Android.

You can also use a Roland UM-One MK2 midi adapter with midibridge+iphone/ipad. I’ve used it for syncing the op-1 tape with my volcas

You can also use a Roland UM-One MK2 midi adapter with midibridge+iphone/ipad. I've used it for syncing the op-1 tape with my volcas

Did you use a hub with the midi adapter plugged into one socket and the OP-1 plugged into another? If so, was it a powered or passive hub?

You need a powered hub, but they can run on batteries as well (smartphone powerbank works fine).

Sorry G! Your gonna need an Oplab or Kenton USB to midi all of which need to be plugged in. Don't think there's anyways around this, but if anyone has a solution please let us know! :)

u can use the kenton, and i believe the iconnectmidi stuff w/ a USB smartphone battery. u just need the right usb to dc jack cable (got one on ebay for a buck or two)

edit: oplab is 5vDC too, which is the same as USB, so i bet it would work with this too.

to me, the best op1 combination is op1 + iPad. w/ the CCK or whatever they call it now, no extra devices, no extra power or batteries needed. they are best friends

to me, the best op1 combination is op1 + iPad. w/ the CCK or whatever they call it now, no extra devices, no extra power or batteries needed. they are best friends

True! Great combo, use it all the time!

Oplab can be powered over USB, so you don’t even need a special DC connector cable in its case. You can get 3000mAh batteries the size of a roll of quarters for $6-$10 (I keep one in my backpack for emergencies).

Now I’m envisioning a little acrylic tray with an OP-1, Oplab, and midget synth of choice mounted to it, shortest wires possible so it’s nice and neat… maybe half an inch thick so you can mount a 20,000mAh battery pack inside of it, slap a Decksavers-style lid on top of it and slide it into the backpack. Yeah…

Hm. Some good ideas here but drat… I was looking at those new 1/8" -to- Midi cables used by some of the new Korg stuff (SQ-1 and I think the new Electribes) and was hoping there was something similar that would work with USB that was that size - just a tiny little cable, USB on one side, MIDI on the other, no other requirements. Mostly for this Anode thing.

I was thinking I could trick the Bastl Trinity MIDI module into running it but remembered that it requires a connecting Trinity module to be plugged in and won’t run off battery.

Those cables won’t work without a USB Host and TE has not implemented the advertised USB OTG (which is supposed to have host capability).

The Anode uses a 9V AC power supply though, which more or less Ds you in the A for portability anyway unless you want to get crafty with an inverter and add more complication hehe.

Hey- I usually power my OP-1 with a USB hub (iConnectMIDI4) and it has worked well.

I recently noticed that my OP-1’s battery is swelling (keyboard is puffing out). So I’m hoping I can just remove the battery and continue to power the device by only using the USB hub (and not replacing the battery).

Do you happen to know if the unit can be powered externally with no battery inside?