'Slightly off' tape tracks in daw

Only just getting round to cutting some op ideas up in daw. I noticed a lot of the 4 bar loops I’ve made in op tape don’t start bang on the bar when they’re in the daw if I zoom in a bunch of them start a little early. Even tho I did the ‘Rec + key’ to start recordings on OP and had loop points active.

Some of the tape loops on the same stems have recorded bang on. Others don’t. Weird?

But they seem to loop OK if I cut bang on the bar in the daw regardless of them starting slightly earlier. Is this something to do with how TE have tackled the pops/clicks in the beta?

Are you keeping track of the tempo for each beat and then automating tempo changes in the DAW?

Are you keeping track of the tempo for each beat and then automating tempo changes in the DAW?

I nearly always keep op tape same tempo start to finish. When exported tape tracks to daw via usb and tempo matched daw session bpm to the op session bpm all clip’s should start on grid but some are slightly off. Can’t figure out what happened on those, they’re slightly before the grid, which is even more confusing than if they were slightly late…

Using ableton? Check that the Warp is disabled on the clips.

Did you export the tape tracks via USB? if not, try that.

That’s what I have :slight_smile:

That's what I have :)

Using Sonar. Exported tape stems via USB. I can’t figure out why some tape sections within the same 4 stems are (very very slightly) off grid and some aren’t. I always use ‘Rec + key/button’ to start recording and always with grid loop points… Weird.

That's what I have :)

Using Sonar. Exported tape stems via USB. I can’t figure out why some tape sections within the same 4 stems are (very very slightly) off grid and some aren’t. I always use ‘Rec + key/button’ to start recording and always with grid loop points… Weird.

define “very slightly off grid” - by how much? could turn out it’s within the OP1’s sloppy timing tolerances (i.e. quite a bit). The big question is if you notice when listening, on the OP1 and in your DAW.

Are you working on the OP-1 syncing to a DAW all the time and then exporting the tracks?

If so, this might be related: https://www.operator-1.com/index.php?p=/discussion/541/sync-op-1-to-ableton-clock-and-start-stop