Small Room Listening / OB-4 & Op-1 Field

Hi there.

I’m lucky to have a room that i used to use as my ‘Studio’. It’s relatively small (6ft / 9ft) but i’m now looking to use the space in a slightly different way.

Due to a shift in personal priorities & family life i’ve decided to spend significantly less time making music.

I sold all of my gear but bought an Op-1 Field as an all in one. I’ve owned the OG Op-1 at previous times in the past, so i know the workflow & quirks etc.

I’m going to turn the space into more of a chillout/listening/reading room. I’m hoping to replace the studio desk & other bulky furniture with a decent lounge chair or small corner sofa and a small coffee table.

Potentially i’ll remove my imac, soundcard and monitors & i’ve been wondering if the OB-4 would be satisfactory to use in that size space. Just to get a relatively decent sound whilst tinkering with the Op-1 field. No serious desire or need to record anything or have anything at loud volumes.

I’d appreciate any thoughts on this, as i’ve not yet had an opportunity to demo an OB-4.

Cheers!
S.

The OB-4 is far superior to the OP-1 Field in terms of audio quality and loudness… so if you’re looking for a compact studio, without the need for studio monitors, definitely go for it if it checks off the right boxes.

1 Like

I use the OB-4 in pretty much the same room dimensions as yours and it is perfect for that size.
(Just remember there is on aux-out for headphones etc).

Plenty of colours to now choose from as well.

1 Like

Cheers folks!

That’s good to hear.

I’ve been eyeing up the dark blue and grey.

1 Like

I love my OB4 and use it every opportunity I can but for monitoring, especially in a small room, I’d just use headphones.

2 Likes

That’s predominantly what i was doing when i had more gear. It made the most sense in that context.

But since my setup and focus has shifted I want to literally and figuratively disconnect/change how I work and listen in that space. I’m inclined to fixate on too many details when I use headphones.

Cheers!