Sold ... AntiGAS thread

AntiGAS thread.

Which gear have you sold and but moreover why?

I sold my Roland SP-404SX. Didn’t quite do what I wanted (switching between loops smoothly). No regrets

The volca keys.

I have owned a monotribe for years. when i heard about the keys i assumed it was as phat as the monotribe. it is. However the mini knobs dont really seem to fit well with the many editable synth paramaters on the keys. they are a bit to random and id prefer the big giant moog knobs to get the sweeping arcs etc… comically the fiddly little knobs work great on the sample. they are somewhat random adn that actually works on the sample! If Korg decides to make a volca keys but fullsize synth i would buy one in a heartbeat@!

Sold my Elektrons (OT, MD UW+, A4) and my RME UFX (needed for recording synths) as I’ve never bought any guitar or an amp that cost one of these synths, and first of all I’m a guitarist. All that GAS started with the OP-1 (which is a keeper for droping down ideas and backing tracks for blowing). Also, I’ve lost too much time plugging, setting, syncing, preparing those machines for not much made music. With my two kids, time is valuable.

I sold my Roland SP-404SX. Didn't quite do what I wanted (switching between loops smoothly). No regrets

Care to go into more detail? I am currently eying one of these. Are you talking about switching between loops on different pads while playing or something different? If there’s a problem with jamming on it maybe I’ll look at something else.

@anomalous jamming was the problem for me. I wanted to use it to play beats that I made on the OP-1 in a live set up. DJ mixer with the SP on 1 channel and the OP-1 on the other. At first, I sampled each individual track to separate pads. It was really tough to hit even more than 1 pad at a time at exactly the same moment to get the samples to line up. So when that failed, I sampled full 4-track beats to different pads, but it was still hard to switch between loops in a fluid way for me. The pads on the SP are too stiff for my liking. It has a lot of great features and sounds great, but I never got good enough at using it on the fly. Maybe with more practice I could have made it work.

I was a little worried worried about the stiffness but more worried with something technical like maybe an unexpected delay when doing certain things. I can get a 555 (which I hear has nicer pads) for a good price too but I want to keep things small and the 404sx is already bigger than I would like. I have seen proof that people can adjust to it, so I think I’ll take a chance on it. If it doesn’t work out maybe that 555 will still be around or maybe I’ll look at something else.

Anyway, thanks for the info.

Ha! It would take me most of the day to type up a list of all the gear I’ve had and sold and write reasons why.

i´m thinking about selling all my gear (op-1, micro brute, dark energy, mixer, effects, cables and some other noiseboxes etc.) and getting an analog four. i have to kids, a little spare time and mostly i´m fiddling at the microbrute, just having some sound. i have no fixed desk for my music gear, so i´m thinking about having ONE box including all effects, mixer sections, sequencer, synth machines + an lpk25 keyboard.

but i don´t know…

+ i´m getting an phenol in june…i was very excited about it so i pledged it on kickstarted. now 6 month later i´, a little bit unsure if it fits to my behavior
The volca keys.

I have owned a monotribe for years. when i heard about the keys i assumed it was as phat as the monotribe. it is. However the mini knobs dont really seem to fit well with the many editable synth paramaters on the keys. they are a bit to random and id prefer the big giant moog knobs to get the sweeping arcs etc... comically the fiddly little knobs work great on the sample. they are somewhat random adn that actually works on the sample! If Korg decides to make a volca keys but fullsize synth i would buy one in a heartbeat@!

You can use another midi controller (with bigger knobs) to control a lot of the functions on the Keys couldn’t you?

i´m thinking about selling all my gear (op-1, micro brute, dark energy, mixer, effects, cables and some other noiseboxes etc.) and getting an analog four. i have to kids, a little spare time and mostly i´m fiddling at the microbrute, just having some sound. i have no fixed desk for my music gear, so i´m thinking about having ONE box including all effects, mixer sections, sequencer, synth machines + an lpk25 keyboard.

but i don´t know..

I would keep all the gear myself, unless you are really in to sequencing, at which point the a4 is a good option. if you do decide to sell the dark energy tho, drop me a pm :wink:

The first gear I had when I picked up producing again was the Korg ESX, never made a tune with it, never liked it either. You can do pretty gnarly stuff with it but it never inspired me. I also bought a Korg Kaossilator Pro, really cool for putting down some quick live things but again it did not inspire me so I got rid of both.

Bought me an OP-1, no regrets.
I added a Volca beats and keys, I really liked their sound, but I kept having stupid midi issues with them, couldn’t fix it and thus I sold them.

One piece of gear I didn’t want to sell was my Eventide TimeFactor, needed the coins to buy a secondhand laptop. Maybe I will buy one again if I have the cash.

@LAUNE ever thought about the OP-1 + iPad(mini) combo? Very hard to beat combination especially if you don’t have any place to put your gear… with the gear you are selling you can buy a 1st generation mini for the sequencing and a newer one for synths and effects. Just a thought.

My favorite subject is this, damn what a school of caprice has been for me this i really dont know where to start from the volcas keys i also gave as weak ass ,for the miditribe pushed for a mopho pushed for a shruthi on a rush of course as both mopho and miditribe are excelent tools .probably the Tenori on was a strange incident in my life as i was precent in Radio France when the inventor showed it off and bam i was fucking amazed ,bought it 300 euro by a hommie gave me hours of cut ups cause it is a quick motha sequencer but hell i blew it cause its sounds crapilicious as a synth .uncertain for many i think we are divided in trained profecional musicians (not funny /pattern /boring ) the kids smelling the ephemere (why not) and the frontliners who chose to do the trial and search for the pleasure of industrial re evolution them machines represent maybee? ah and i will say it once more if you have the DSI Mono Evolver keybord dont push it (i warned you)

Oh wow I totally forgot about the Shruthi, my god, awesome sound but dismal OS/UI

Got rid of my Native Instruments Maschine Mk II. When I finally fell in love with my OP-1 (took a little bit of time), I really liked the feeling of freedom from my computer. Now looking to sell/trade my Panorama Nektar P4 and Kontrol F1 too.

Less software, more HARDWARE! :slight_smile:

@Heron I will drink margaritas to NO NO NO soft ware at all . ok apart for mixing but only for those who mix , they have a slight excuse but cannot drink or get drunk or embrace the love for big mistakes turn into muzak hardware spills.

SHERMMAN FILTERBANK i was in love we slept together quite sometimes she was a grizzling bitch i will never forget me pimping her

I’m probably going to sell my Korg Electribe EMX as I’ve got the V2 product. I’m debating selling the MPC 1000 and replacing it with an Octatrack.

Got rid of the Maschine Mk I. Was not my type of kit.

@marjin - funny, i keep thinking i want to get rid of mine, but i keep not quite being able to sell it. Its a real love hate relationship.

I’m not a huge fan of the Elektron workflow for reasons i have elaborated about elsewhere on this forum, but i have been using the MD for a few years by now and I have learnt how to use it to the point where using other drum machines feel weird. If it broke i wouldn’t replace it tho (or would i…)

(damn)

I sold the strymon bluesky recently. The Strymon verb sound so perfect and clean that they are actually a bit boring as there are no flaws whatsoever! Seems like a weird complaint but i’m finding i dont miss it. Am using a spring reverb and an old boss reverb and am much happier :slight_smile:

@Heron I will drink margaritas to NO NO NO soft ware at all . ok apart for mixing but only for those who mix , they have a slight excuse but cannot drink or get drunk or embrace the love for big mistakes turn into muzak hardware spills.
SHERMMAN FILTERBANK i was in love we slept together quite sometimes she was a grizzling bitch i will never forget me pimping her

Right! I will never get rid of the computer, especially for post work like you said, but there is something really satisfying about real tactile feedback.