Solution for ghost-clicks during tape-record found!

Hello guys!

If anybody found the solution before me, I’m sorry. I couldn’t find anything about it so far.

I recently had issues with random clicks, pops and clippings while recording into tape.

And I’m pretty sure that I found the reason and a possible solution for it.

I actually tested nearly every possible reason and in the end it’s quite simple:

If you’re recording into tape and for any reason stopping your recording while a sound is still playing (which you’re recording at the moment) you might have an hard sounding end. When you’re deleting your track or the part of it with the cruel ending a piece of this hard end remains when you’re recording once again. Which seems to be a clip. But in fact it’s just a not really deleted micro-part of your old track.

So the best way to avoid those clicks is by never stopping your track while you’re still playing any sound. Always let your sound finish and cut the unwanted end out afterwards.

If you already have several clicks in your tape I suggest deleting your whole tape (Shift + Tape Button) to start all over again and try to avoid those mistakes in the future.

If you accidently created a click or an hard end you can simply remove it by recording the track once again but without playing anything. (Important: you need to overwrite the clipping section completely. So let the overdub start and end before and after the click, never directly on it)

Then you can easily delete the track and the clicks are gone.

In case my explanation wasn’t precise enough, just ask me and I will record a video tutorial for it. :slight_smile:

Keep on rocking! - Felizzle

1 Like

I’ve found what works for me is even if I have those hard ends/clicks, which is inevitable on the OP-1 with it’s lack of precision recording, I just let it keep recording even after i’ve stopped the sample/sound. I let it record silence for 2 or 3 loops, as it replays the sound you’ll get the click if it’s there but sometimes you won’t, when you don’t hear the click, hit play to stop recording and that click will be gone in playback.